Build Thread for "Willy" My new JK Willy's Wheeler

LukesPa

Observer
So my intent is a modest expedition build. I know a lot of the high dollar, super nice rigs started out that way so we shall see what happen over the next few years. I started with the Willy's Wheeler JK Unlimited, because it already had some of the stuff I would have added right away if I had bought a sport. I wheeled it twice in it's stone stock form in the first 2-3 weeks of ownership. The first time was a long but easy route not requiring 4WD at all. The second time out was a fairly technical section of fire road in the San Gabriel mountains. Well it was hard in my old YJ, but the JK did it with ease. Here's a stock picture just before putting on a lift.

IMG_1472.jpg

LukesPa

Observer
So with 2000 miles on the JK and about six weeks, I can catch up a bit and share what I've done to the Jeep and where I've taken it to date. I sold my YJ a couple weeks after buying the JK. My wife had designs on much of the proceeds, but I managed to save out enough for a lift and some protection. After a lot of research I end up getting an AEV 2.5" DualSport lift with the geometry correction brackets. I'm super pleased with the decision as I have improved ride and handling both on and off road. This modest lift fits my idea of a modest build and though I could run 35s, at this point the plan is no more than 33s. Since the AEV lifts are designed to accomodate heavier bumpers, a winch, tire carrier, larger spare, and an otherwise fully loaded expedition rig, I'm sitting a solid 3" over stock right now. High enough that my wife griped about getting in.

Here is a post lift picture.

IMG_1600.jpg IMG_1599.jpg

I also added an AEV rear differential slider, it went on easily and should add a pretty solid dose of protection to the diff and rear U joint. I have taken the jeep off road three times now, once on 2N17X a fireroad that parallels Pilot Rock Trail near Silverwood lake in the San Gabriels, then most recently I did Cleghorn road in the same general area and did pretty much all the challenging "extra credit" routes, though not always the hard lines.

Last edited:

LukesPa

Observer
This picture makes me look like a moron

Seriously.... I didn't put that big rock down the middle of my Jeep. This rock that looks poised to take out my front differential didn't, because from the uphill side it didn't look like this.

photo (74).jpg
This was at Cleghorn 2 weekends ago.

The day after Cleghorn I had to drive from SoCal up into the Sierra's for a week at Scout camp. I was fairly careful not to jack up the new Jeep and mess that up. The Jeep did great on the road and I managed 19.1 mpg on the road trip even with some mountains in the mix. Willy drives great at 85mph, but I kept it mostly on the 70mph range to see how I could do on mileage on a trip.

I've done a couple other minor mods too. I put Putco LED lamps in the stock fog lamp housings, that really brightened those up for about $30. I bought the LED interior light kit too but those made all my interior lights flash when I tried to light one side of the front dome lamp as a map light.

I think one of my buddies may have some better Cleghorn Road pictures, if I get them I'll add them. Tomorrow night my Jeep club has shop night and I hope to get my JKS Quicker Sway Bar Discos installed.

Attachments

• photo (72).JPG
    photo (72).JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 26

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Right after I got my '13 it seemed like the Willys edition was announced. I was bummed because I absolutely love the blue color they had with those. I ended up with a sport but have modded it to essentially what the Willys comes with; rubi rails, and the BFG wheels/tires from a rubi as well, I even had considered looking for the stickers that come on them to add to my rig. I wish I would have done things a little different and had gotten the Willys (and an unlimited) but really haven't seen any at all on the dealer lots here.

Enjoy it. I've got nearly 14.5k miles on my since Thanksgiving last year, lots of miles off road.

Prubah

I wanted a Granite Crystal Willy's 2dr. But I live in NH and closest one was in Texas. I ended up with a black Rubi 2dr cuz of the smokin deal I got.(who wants a black jeep?) :wings: After owning it for a week now, I absolutely LOVE it. But, for an expedition rig.. You my friend have the 'Cats MEOW'. Knowing what I know now, there isn't any better travel across the country hitting all the National Parks Ride than a 2014 4dr Willy's.
I am envious of this build and wish I had waited it out and kept searching for a Gray 4dr Willys. And this is coming from a lifelong Toyota guy. I would choose a 4dr Willys over a 4dr Tacoma for expedition purposes any day of the week.
Congrats on your purchase and KUDOS on the build. I'll be watching.
Cheers,
Prubah!

Last edited:

LukesPa

Observer
I got lucky

I wanted a Granite Crystal Willy's 2dr. But I live in NH and closest one was in Texas. I ended up with a black Rubi 2dr cuz of the smokin deal I got.(who wants a black jeep?) :wings: After owning it for a week now, I absolutely LOVE it. But, for an expedition rig.. You my friend have the 'Cats MEOW'. Knowing what I know now, there isn't any better travel across the country hitting all the National Parks Ride than a 2014 4dr Willy's.
I am envious of this build and wish I had waited it out and kept searching for a Gray 4dr Willys. And this is coming from a lifelong Toyota guy. I would choose a 4dr Willys over a 4dr Tacoma for expedition purposes any day of the week.
Congrats on your purchase and KUDOS on the build. I'll be watching.
Cheers,
Prubah!

I was initially looking at the 2 door but since I was replacing both my GMC Sierra 4x4 with a shell and huge storage and my YJ, the Unlimited checked the essential boxes of room for 4-5 adults, reasonable gear capacity and 4WD. When I decided the 2 door wrangler would meet that, I did a quick but sincere look at what else would work and ended up here.
When I saw the Willys package it again check all the boxes for me, at least all I could afford to check. I initially thought I wanted the dune color, but when I got on a lot and saw all the colors I didn't care for the dune, but really liked the "Copperhead". I was very fortunate to find my exact match vehicle that I'd built on the Jeep website at my second nearest dealer, about 25 minutes from home. The only variations from my online build were that I got no trailer hitch and I got the upgraded Alpine sound system. $65 and about an hours work solved the hitch issue. I'll learn to live with the premium sound system:)

Last edited:

LukesPa

Observer
Disco night with the boys

So last night was enlightening. My son and another high schooler and I installed my JKS sway bar disconnects. It was easy enough once we got the correct tools sorted out, a combination of metric and standard was needed. REALLY Jeep!? I guess that explains why some of the suggested JK trail tool kits lists I've seen suggest standard and metric tools.

BTW having boys help with the work is great! If you don't have any yet I highly recommend them, and wish I had more. Making them is fun too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger