Build your own Fuso FG6 4x4 based camper/overlander!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Would it be worthwhile to buy one in Aus and have the mods done and ship over to Africa?
What modifications do you want to have done?
If you are just looking at a SWC and parabolic springs then I wonder why you would not simply import those parts and have them fitted locally, as I am pretty sure that would be cheaper.
From what I have read (from SA users on this forum), the diesel in SA is not that great. If you did buy a truck here in Aus, it would be a Euro 6 model, which sounds like it could be more problematic than the Euro 2 versions being sold in SA.

Jim Beam

Well there is a lot to do. Springs, bull bar, spots,wheels/tires. Then getting all this fitted. Not so easy in Africa. Its OK if you can find a good Afrikaner who actually does the job himself but thats rare. But yes in principle, probably more cost effective to buy an NPS 300 locally (Euro 2 emissions) and ship all the gear over in a container. That would also give me a chance to get some goodies for my LC 79.

SkiFreak speaks truth.

Parabolic springs, Single rims & tyres will have to come from Aus for sure that much I can vouch for.

Not sure about Zambia, but everything else can be done in South Africa easy enough. For example my bull bar in Cape Town cost me only ZAR15,000 (thats roughly Aus$1,500) and it was a custom build by a reputabe 4x4 accessory manufacturer. Not a bad price at all even the Aussies would agree I am sure.

It is just that the camper body builders in SA do not bring in all the nice windows, door & drawer locks and other furnishings that you find in German build vans for example. In SA they usually offer a basic range of Fiamma products at a huge mark-up and that is it.

In saying that Kym Bolton has his Explorer camper body (2x berth only) build here in Cape Town and it is nice enough and very practical. I have seen one. I wonder if it might be an idea to speak to him and see if his ready-to-go body could not be modified to fit a Crew Cab NPS.... problem solved.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

SkiFreak speaks truth.

Parabolic springs, Single rims & tyres will have to come from Aus for sure that much I can vouch for.

Not sure about Zambia, but everything else can be done in South Africa easy enough. For example my bull bar in Cape Town cost me only ZAR15,000 (thats roughly Aus$1,500) and it was a custom build by a reputabe 4x4 accessory manufacturer. Not a bad price at all even the Aussies would agree I am sure.

It is just that the camper body builders in SA do not bring in all the nice windows, door & drawer locks and other furnishings that you find in German build vans for example. In SA they usually offer a basic range of Fiamma products at a huge mark-up and that is it.

In saying that Kym Bolton has his Explorer camper body (2x berth only) build here in Cape Town and it is nice enough and very practical. I have seen one. I wonder if it might be an idea to speak to him and see if his ready-to-go body could not be modified to fit a Crew Cab NPS.... problem solved.

I wouldnt do a thing in Zambia. I would have to come to South to get everything done. Work is double the price of the 1st world and 5th rate quality.

Cuddy

Observer
Kym Bolton ?? Is he here on the forum or.... Being new here I dont know the name.
He has been playing around with trucks for a while. He has a few web sites to check out-
Www.trucksupersingles.com.au
www.discoverymotorhomes.com.au
www.goannatracks.com
I have a set of his wheels and tyres on my Isuzu. He is importing the body’s for his camper trucks - discovery motor homes- from South Africa, probably worth shooting him an email , seemed to be a pretty helpful fella.
Cheers

Jim Beam

Checked out the Kym Bolton website. Nice camper back. Wonder what sort of dollars? (Rands).

When I first got into this, I saw nice camper backs built onto LC79's. I enquired and got told in the range of 900K Rand !! (about 70K USD). A good deal of that must be labour and profit. There is no way the materials can be close to that.

How can caravans be built so much more cost effectively but a camper back for a truck is double or more?

How can caravans be built so much more cost effectively but a camper back for a truck is double or more?

It is a niche market my friend is all I can say. There are no templates out there or mass production modules to bring down the cost. Each truck build is a custom one. Why do you think most FG owners on this forum end up building their own bodies.

Of course in the case of Australia the FG concept has evolved to the point where there are in fact suppliers for complete bodies for it e.g. Earthcruiser. But that is a very unique market down there and very rare for truck campers.

Now if you were in Europe, or if you had ZAR3mil to spend, you could blow it on one of these http://www.blissmobil.com/en/products/15ft (the 15 foot will suit the wheelbase of the Iveco ML150 nicely).

I can assure you Kym's camper back is going to cost a lot less than that! Haha. I believe a complete drive away FG (so it includes the truck) is around Aus$180,000. So how much could the camper body be now?

I would explore the Kym option for the NPS for sure. But it would be too small and a waste on the Iveco ML150.

For the Iveco you will have to custom build.

Happy shopping!

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
From my experience, caravans are normally built for short term use and often include lower grade components.
Companies that build expedition style campers are operating in a different market, where long term use is the norm. To that end, the camper bodies and vehicle modifications are done with higher quality products, so they can endure extended day to day usage and also withstand things like vibration, which is amplified with off-road travel.
That is a generalization, but for the most part I believe it rings true, hence the price differential.

Cuddy

Observer
From my experience, caravans are normally built for short term use and often include lower grade components.
Companies that build expedition style campers are operating in a different market, where long term use is the norm. To that end, the camper bodies and vehicle modifications are done with higher quality products, so they can endure extended day to day usage and also withstand things like vibration, which is amplified with off-road travel.
That is a generalization, but for the most part I believe it rings true, hence the price differential.
Absolutely, you compare the price of a top line off road caravan like Bushtracker and Kedron.Their build quality and components compared to the other off-road vans that are 40k cheaper is miles ahead.
You get what you pay for!

Jim Beam

So this is evolving as I imagine it does for most people who go down this road (excuse the pun). Original idea was to have the LC79 fitted with custom back. Too small, very expensive and the killer of the idea....they wanted my LC79 down in South for 8+ months. Not happening!

Then I went through the idea of putting a Palomino camper back on the LC79 and towing a trailer. My LC79 is a 1HZ 6 cyl. Not enough power or torque for the job. So scratched that.

Thats when I realised I am going to have to go to a small truck. My googling led me to this site. Then it all went to hell :)

I got very enthused about an NPS300. As all this is happening I have my camera gear arriving from the US - received about 4 shipments so far with loads more coming in. I am itching to get out there to go shooting. We are not that far from the Lower Zambezi National Park (maybe 50 - 70 Klms) and there is some very rugged mountains through there. So one Sunday morning, studying Google Earth looking for tracks I might be able to use to get an approach to some of the really rugged spots along the edge of the Park, I thought about dumbing it all down as it was getting too complicated. I went back to basics. I even ditched the wife from the list of what to take (serious).

I thought about how to get this down to a much smaller operation with just a few guys, tents and get out there. But when its all said and done I just cant get this to a small thing. I need my guys. Too much to carry in the field, I need a guy for security at the camp, security in the field, guys to carry. Then I have to feed us all, carry water. I thought about using the Isuzu twin cab as my tow vehicle.....it can sit 5 people in it, has the load area in the back and can tow.

That lead me into the Conqueror trailer. I was glued to the Internet searching South Africa for a good late model used Conqueror. I lasted about a week until I realized this was OK for short duration trips not that far from home but is not the right setup for months away from home in Uganda or on a barren part of the Skeleton Coast.

Back to the NPS 300. Then I stumbled across http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/ This looks to me to be the ideal compromise. This guy comes over as knowing what he is on about. He keeps mentioning weight issues and now I am hearing the same from you guys.

So that's where I *WAS* at - until a certain Iveco got revealed to me - I was going to import a bigfoot camper back for the NPS. There are many camper backs in the US, but Mr Hackney swears the Big foot is the best made of all. Good enough for me, why reinvent the wheel? Mr Hackney has done the research. So a Big Foot in a Container and send it over to me. Whats really interesting about that idea is that it turns out that Kym is having backs built in South and shipping them home to Aus in containers. Its ironic...... here I am sourcing a back from the US to ship to Africa in a container, while Kym is sourcing backs from Africa to ship to Australia in containers !

Now the new idea. This Iveco. Yes its expensive. I am not happy about that to be honest, but its only money. Buy quality and cry once. The thing that concerns me about it is that its BIG. Its very imposing. Maybe this aspect is nonsense on my part? A big camper back on an NPS300 is not exactly incognito i suppose. But after 20 years in Zambia if I have learnt one thing its keep your head down and stay under the radar - dont bring attention to yourself and you get by fine. All of our travel in Zambia will be bush camps - there are 1 or 2 camp grounds in Zambia. Maybe a few half hearted attempts around Livingstone and one that I know of in a place called Mukushi on the Great North Road that heads up into Tanzania. Thats it. So like it or lump it, in Zambia you are bush camping - always. So would like to stay as low key as possible. This Iveco just seems to scream - rich muzungu ! (Muzungu = white man). So there's that.

Next thing is a back for it. As you say FF 4x4, a small back is a waste on that beast. Now we are way way over the weigh bridge limit,..... well why limit ourselves. If we have to go over those dammed weigh bridges we may as well go mad on what we do. One other issue - all roads in Zambia are now tolled. Approx every 200 Klms is a tool both - its surreal to see a toll both in the middle of the bush on a crap road extorting money out of every vechicle to use the same crap as always roads. This started 2 years ago. The bigger the truck the bigger the toll and they are NOT cheap. Its about $20 US for a 15 t truck every 200 Klms ! Sure its a local thing but its very real. We do intend to hit East Africa as far around as Uganda and Rwanda (will give Burundi a miss for now - place too unstable) but before we go there we want to get into the Bangweulu swamps for the Black lechwe migration (no one seems to know about this mass migration that occurs every year) and up to Lake Meru Wanitipa - its a fascinating area that hardly anyone goes to go - its surely not on the tourist route. But its a thousand+ kilometers from us with a $20 US toll every 200 klms. + 40l/100 Kilometers. Is this Iveco really feasible ?

So now we are into the 15t class. How much is a back going to cost? Another learning curve ahead as I start exploring this option.

Its amazing that as you go through this and the figures keep getting bigger and bigger that you start to get immune to the size of the numbers involved. After a while you somehow seem to justify why things cost as much as they do. I can see why the self building goes on. I dont have a workshop for any of this and to import all the parts and materials up here is just not the way to go.

I have a feeling this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better :)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If you do end up committing to a bigger truck, I would suggest looking at what else is viable in that weight range.
I don't know what's available in SA, but a MAN immediately comes to mind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998