Building a 2002 e150 4wd van.

camen__plus

Hey guys been wanting to join here for awhile. Looking to build a 4wd kit for my van. I'll add pictures and my progress. Any tips or pointers would be awesome.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Getting popcorn!

Is this totally DIY? If it were me, I would sell my E150 and start with an E250/350, just more possibilities after putting the extra money into the project.

camen__plus

Getting popcorn!

Is this totally DIY? If it were me, I would sell my E150 and start with an E250/350, just more possibilities after putting the extra money into the project.
What does popcorn mean? Is this post in the wrong area? I have the axles already. The van is in great condition, it just worked out. I work for a high end fabrication company that makes retro fitted classic broncos, I'll be fabricating everything anyways

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
What year axles do you have?

Is the rear a semi or full float?

I assume the front is a solid axle? Are you planning a front leaf, coil or coilover conversion?

If leaf, look to Ujoint for inspiration and ideas.

If coil, you might check out Pucry’s build over on the SMB forum. He did his own using Superlift radius arms. Tons of info over there about MG Metalwork’s kit too.

If coilover, check out Huntsalot’s build, also on SMB. Note that it’s custom for a kingpin front Dana 60 though.

camen__plus

What year axles do you have?

Is the rear a semi or full float?

I assume the front is a solid axle? Are you planning a front leaf, coil or coilover conversion?

If leaf, look to Ujoint for inspiration and ideas.

If coil, you might check out Pucry’s build over on the SMB forum. He did his own using Superlift radius arms. Tons of info over there about MG Metalwork’s kit too.

If coilover, check out Huntsalot’s build, also on SMB. Note that it’s custom for a kingpin front Dana 60 though.
The axles are 2005+ axles. Couldn't get 4:10s, dana 60 front Sterling rear. I don't know about the rear yet.i do plan on doing radio's and springs with a strut. I've looked at ujoint, but also checked out timberline too. Is there a link for pucrys build. I'm kinda new to the forums? I'm gonna add pictures this weekend!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What does popcorn mean? Is this post in the wrong area? I have the axles already. The van is in great condition, it just worked out. I work for a high end fabrication company that makes retro fitted classic broncos, I'll be fabricating everything anyways
Popcorn means ready to watch the show, to follow your project, that's a good thing.

Seeing the project van might help to support the idea of going to all the effort building a 4x4 van.

It's great that you have such skills, most here don't have fab skills or equipment to build stuff.

I owned an E 150, 2008 I think, 5.0 V8 and I had the thought of converting it to 4x4. I wasn't going to do any heavy lifting on the project, hiring different jobs out is how I get things done.

After doing some research I found out that the project wasn't going to be cheap or easy. Thing is, after it's all said and done, my E 150 4x4 would run me at least $15K more (in 2016) and what would I end up with?

I'd have an E 150 that would have less range, poor mpg, limited towing capacity and being somewhat unknown due to a DIY conversion, same issue with weight carrying capacity which might be a bit more than an E 150, but can't really bank on it. I can build it to be more "beefy", but it would also be much heavier which could cause maximum capacities to be less than the originally designed van.

To convince me that you can take a stock van, add a different suspension, converting to 4x4 and ending up with larger wheels, tires and a lift, then claiming towing and carrying capacities remain the same, or increasing, ....you'd need an automotive engineering degree and one heck of a garage full of equipment.

Which is why I suggested starting out with a E-250/350 van.

Be sure to load pics of your build...:)

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
FWIW, Cornelius converted his E150 to 4x4…but he works at Ujoint. Build thread here.

He also sold it and then got a V10 E350. That thread here.

Keep in mind that regardless of anything else you do, the three frames are different, with the E350 being the beefiest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears