building a loading ramp / ladder

jesusgatos

Explorer
I need to make something similar to a Ready Ramp for my Tacoma. Was planning on building it out of steel, just because I can't weld aluminum myself right now. Thought I'd just use something like 1 x 2 x .090-wall rectangular tubing for the legs, and was trying to find something like ladder rungs that would offer some traction. The ramp is going to be 36" wide, and each side leg is going to be 40" long (about 9.5ft overall length). Width would ideally be somewhere between 16-18".

tacoma_bedcage_cooler_mount_01.jpg

Found these, which led me to Cooper B-Line (the mfg), where I found their specialty grating products. I was especially interested in the Per-O Grip (using it upside-down). At 18" wide, the 11g Perf-O grip weighs 6lbs/ft and has a load rating of about 300lbs (not exactly sure how that's rated). Seems like it might be a good choice, and all I'd have to do is add hinges. But I just thought I'd ask if anybody's got any better suggestions before I go this route. Still kinda thinking that a ladder with rungs might be a little more versatile? The other downside to the Perf-O Grip is that I couldn't really drive over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78