Building an '06 V8 4Runner

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm almost certain Les Schwab won't have the Maxxis Bravo 761 AT treads. I did buy mine from my local Les Schwab but only because they special ordered them directly from Maxxis for me. Les Schwab recently started stocking the Maxxis Bighorn MT and a Maxxis highway tire, but not the full Maxxis line. I wanted to try the Maxxis Bravo 761 (they make them in 255/85R16) after I saw how little wheel weight was required to balance the Bighorns. If you consider ordering the Bravos from a dealer, make sure they are coming from Calif. not back east or the shipping will hurt!

The Bravo is a pretty conservative (void ratio) AT tire, but if you don't travel in sloppy terrain (mud) they should work as well as most AT tires. All 8-10-ply Bravos have a 3-ply sidewall. Regardless of the tires/brand, I really like light-truck load-range-D treads. A little stronger than a C-range without the stiffer ride of most load-range-E tires. If you get serious about the Bravos you might consider mail order from this site:

http://www.unsertire.com/Custom/Product/Maxxis.aspx

I have never purchased from Unser Tire but the price for the Bravo 761 is very good and the site says free shipping.

A supercharger for your 4.0L sounds very cool. You should have more power than my little V8 ☺

slooowr6 said:
Redline,
Thanks for the detail info on Toyo and the tip on Maxxis Bravo AT. I just found there is a Les Schwab 12miles from me I'll give them a call see if they have that.
I've order a TRD supercharger and hope that will help with the power lost of 255/85/16. I'm searching a quiet/comfortable tire with some ability to go off road. All your posts about tires helps me greatly!! :26_7_2:
Still not decided on 33" or 32" but at least I got one thing down. It has to be load range D. :)

Alex

detailbarn

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
As promised,
A few pics of the rig, enjoy.

DSC04505.jpg

Cheers :beer:,
P

I'm loving the truck, what a great build! What size tires are on it in this picture?

jim65wagon

OK waking up the dead here, but....
since you are the only James I know with a V8 powered, white 4Runner, with Maxxis Bighorns, Cooper STs, and ******** Cepeck tires at any given time.
There hapens to be an article in the new Overland Journal about a white V8 powered 4Runner, that has tested Maxxis, Cooper and DC tires, with an author named James.

One and the same?

If my deduction is correct, I would like to commend you on your article, your 4Runner and of course, your never-ending tire data!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep.

Thanks for the compliment. :sombrero:

James

OK waking up the dead here, but....
since you are the only James I know with a V8 powered, white 4Runner, with Maxxis Bighorns, Cooper STs, and ******** Cepeck tires at any given time.
There hapens to be an article in the new Overland Journal about a white V8 powered 4Runner, that has tested Maxxis, Cooper and DC tires, with an author named James.

One and the same?

If my deduction is correct, I would like to commend you on your article, your 4Runner and of course, your never-ending tire data!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12