Building an expedition-worthy 06 Tacoma

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
crawler#976 said:
Brush pinstripping is a badge of wheelin' honor...

...or so I've tried to tell my wife - I scratched her '05 up pretty good a few weeks ago.

:oops:

Great pics! Looks like all your improvements are paying off.

Mark

I hear you - my fiance was trying to talk me into taking her FJ Cruiser on the expedition so she could use my truck to help a friend move. I would have been one dead archaeologist if I brought her FJ back with all of these scratches.

mightymike

Adventurer
John-

How would you rate the Bestop as a tent, i.e with a long bed truck, how do you think it would work with a mattress as a sleeping compartment? Do you know if they have screens for the clear vinyl windows?

Thanks-

Mike

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
mightymike said:
John-

How would you rate the Bestop as a tent, i.e with a long bed truck, how do you think it would work with a mattress as a sleeping compartment? Do you know if they have screens for the clear vinyl windows?

Thanks-

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. The Bestop isn't entirely waterproof, so I wouldn't use it consistently for a camper shell. There are small leaks in the corners with heavy rain, so that might be a problem with a mattress.

I have heard that they do have screens for the windows. I'm definitely going to get some if so.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I saw your truck, and had to post mine up since we're nearly twins.....

Yours looks really nice! Here's mine.

CIMG0347.jpg

I agree with your assessment of the Bestop; I get minor leaks during heavy rain, but in my case it leaks onto the side of the bed near the tailgate. I'd consider using a blow up mattress with a vinyl bottom, and would have no problems sleeping back there (with the 6' bed).

Last edited:

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
Nice rig! Your choice of truck and topper shows a true sense of style :ylsmoke:

Those black wheels look great - what kind are they?

Jacket said:
I'm usually just a lurker here, but I saw your truck, and had to post mine up since we're nearly twins.....

Yours looks really nice! Here's mine.

CIMG0347.jpg

I agree with your assessment of the Bestop; I get minor leaks during heavy rain, but in my case it leaks onto the side of the bed near the tailgate. I'd consider using a blow up mattress with a vinyl bottom, and would have no problems sleeping back there (with the 6' bed).

Edit: Oh yea - and Hi Expo! Love to read the content here - great stuff!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
ArchaeoTaco said:
Nice rig! Your choice of truck and topper shows a true sense of style :ylsmoke:

Those black wheels look great - what kind are they?

Thanks. They are American Racing Chamber. Saving a bit of weight compared with a similar black steel wheel, and I look really cool at the mall:safari-rig:

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
Project near Gunnison last week

I spent last week on a project just south of Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison. Lots of incredible scenery, tough hikes, and having way too much fun with the truck :jumping:

Over the past few project, I've been taking the taco on progressively tougher trails, and it has handled beautifully. It is time, however, for upgraded suspension. I bottomed out pretty hard a couple of times on this trip, and the 20 gallons of water + 5 gallon fuel jerry can + gear + 4 people + dog = way too much weight for stock suspension.

So I was hoping to brainstorm with you guys about suspension. Donahoes are pretty much a certainty for the front, but I'm still uncertain about the back. With the kind of weight I mentioned above, plus a future rooftop tent and something to hold it up (custom rack or shell), do you think custom 12 leaf Deavers would be a safe bet? Should I have any other concerns with the front?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and here are some pictures from last week:

Outstanding view from our campsite:
DSC_00082906.jpg

Climbing a particularly steep hillside - it's so nice not to have to hike up these 30-degree-plus slopes:luxhello:
DSC_00292906.jpg

DSC_00322906-1.jpg

DSC_00332906-1.jpg

DSC_00342906.jpg

Weaving through an ATV trail to record a site (that's my friend's dog navigating):
DSC_00362906.jpg

Aspen canopy:
DSC_00032906.jpg

Ubiquitous sunset shot:
DSC_00652906.jpg

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
ArchaeoTaco, nice pictures!
I lived a couple of years (1970-72) in Lake City 50+miles south of Gunnison. Lots of good hiking (I believe 5 14ers and the continental divide crosses the county 2x); many 4x4 trails (including Cinnamon and Engineer Passes, Old Carson, etc.); Powderhorn and LaGarita wildernesses, etc. I bicycled up Slumgullion Pass on the days I didn't work too hard. Fishing was excellent (especially right in town).
In other words, your photos bring back great memories...Thanks!
On another note-I never heard of 12 leaf Deavers?
Do you carry your heavy loads all the time? If not and you are not particularly a rock crawler, I'd consider lighter springing and AirLift bags. The air bags can be adjusted not only for heavy loads, but light ones and side to side leveling.
Just another way/option of looking at it.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I used you aspen shot as my background. Nice shot!

Lake City huh? That is where the family went camping when I was little. All I remember is camping on Deer Lakes. Nice place if I remember correctly.

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
Ridgewalker said:
ArchaeoTaco, nice pictures!
I lived a couple of years (1970-72) in Lake City 50+miles south of Gunnison. Lots of good hiking (I believe 5 14ers and the continental divide crosses the county 2x); many 4x4 trails (including Cinnamon and Engineer Passes, Old Carson, etc.); Powderhorn and LaGarita wildernesses, etc. I bicycled up Slumgullion Pass on the days I didn't work too hard. Fishing was excellent (especially right in town).
In other words, your photos bring back great memories...Thanks!
On another note-I never heard of 12 leaf Deavers?
Do you carry your heavy loads all the time? If not and you are not particularly a rock crawler, I'd consider lighter springing and AirLift bags. The air bags can be adjusted not only for heavy loads, but light ones and side to side leveling.
Just another way/option of looking at it.

Lake City is such a cool little town! We drove there once during the project to get more ice and have a look around.

I don't carry the heavy loads for the entire project - just to get to the camp. But there's still a lot of weight in the truck regardless. I think the 12 leaf Deavers are custom - TacoDoc got them if I remember correctly. I should probably give Jason Demello a call to brainstorm the best options. I haven't considered AirLift bags - are they durable?

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
7wt said:
I used you aspen shot as my background. Nice shot!

Lake City huh? That is where the family went camping when I was little. All I remember is camping on Deer Lakes. Nice place if I remember correctly.

Glad you like the aspen shot - I took about a dozen of these after seeing some amazing photos from John Fielder.

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
Thanks Stubbs

Hi fellas. I've been in the field a lot lately, so sorry for the absence. I really need to get wired-in to the whole satellite thing.

Anyway, the Stubbs sliders really saved us on this last trip to Western Colorado. Small trail with a big canyon drop just beside it, and a large boulder blocking the way:

canyonview.jpg

rock.jpg

We built a little ledge of stones to prevent the passenger-side wheels from slipping over, and let the rocksliders guide us right along the boulder. There would have been some nasty body damage if it weren't for the sliders (or a nasty tumble down). We had to make this trip 3 times, there and back, and it always got the adrenaline pumping:Wow1:

approach.jpg

grind.jpg

slider-driver.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger