Building and mounting a Sportsmobile-style door cabinet?

zuren

Adventurer
I'm hoping any Sportsmobile (SMB) owners or those who are familiar can comment. I'm in the process of building cabinetry for my campervan and I'm ending up with a lot of smaller and medium size pieces of plywood that I'm looking to use on something. I began thinking about the door cabinets I've seen on SMBs like pictured here on the rear door:

UAV_02bike_lg.jpg

I've never seen one in person. Is it a cabinet that is square and straight in all dimensions then spacers are used to fasten it to the door, keeping it level and straight? The rear door on my Chevy is not a flat surface so either spacers need to be used or the back of the cabinet needs to be formed to the curves of the door.

I'm hoping somebody who has seen one could comment!

Thanks!

Woodsman

Adventurer
I haven't seen one in person but the sides look pretty parallel/consistent in width from top to bottom in the pic.

I would recommend making it so the front is plumb and scribe the back to the door concealing any gaps, spacers or mounting hardware. Hang it on the door using french cleats (two pieces with a 45 degree bevel which allow the weight to hang securely) made of plywood at the top and fasten towards the bottom to keep the bottom from flopping around.

Topher Walters

Adventurer
SMB Door Cabinet

The SMB door cabinet has an internal metal frame about 3/4" square steel tube. The wooden sides are just screwed to the frame to make the box. The box is square and not scribed to the shape of the door. It swings from the left side for access to the vans door internal area. I took mine off because it intrudes too far into the "living" space when the door is closed. I made a shelf that folds flat against the door but I can use as a table while seated at the bench seat.

zuren

Adventurer
The SMB door cabinet has an internal metal frame about 3/4" square steel tube. The wooden sides are just screwed to the frame to make the box. The box is square and not scribed to the shape of the door. It swings from the left side for access to the vans door internal area. I took mine off because it intrudes too far into the "living" space when the door is closed. I made a shelf that folds flat against the door but I can use as a table while seated at the bench seat.

Thanks for the replies so far!

peasbugs - Thanks for chiming in! Would you happen to know the exterior dimensions of the SMB cabinet? Just from looking at pictures, I agree that it looks to be too deep and juts into the cabin area. My thought is build something that wasn't too deep, maybe coming off of the door by a total of 7-8". It would be a good place for small, lightweight items. I would also be interested in seeing a pic of the shelf you built. That is another consideration.

Thanks!

Topher Walters

Adventurer
The cabinet is 13" deep. Here are a few pictures, if I can get it to work.

IMGP1970.jpgIMGP1972.jpgIMGP1973.jpgIMGP1976.jpgIMGP1977.jpg

The last two pictures are of the shelf/table I made to replace the cabinet.

zuren

Adventurer
The cabinet is 13" deep. Here are a few pictures, if I can get it to work.

The last two pictures are of the shelf/table I made to replace the cabinet.

Awesome, thank you! 13" is WAY deeper than I would have guessed. Something half that depth I think would be a bit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman