Building Camper for Small Pickups

ober27

Adventurer
WOW! That looks fantastic. It must feel good to have the roof on. I'm anxious to see how the exterior turns out.

Darin

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looking good!

Now that the roof is on, can we have another exterior photo? Also, do you know what the weight is currently at?

hugh_h

Observer
looks thoughtful design.
by the way ... if tacoma is small pick up so hardbody or ranger be micro pick ups ? in Europe tacoma size starts the bigger segment :)
subscribed

Goober

Adventurer
I'll get some new exterior photos this afternoon and see if I can get an estimate on weight. I don't know what a 'hardbody' is unless you're referring to a unibody, the ranger would be considered a compact pickup. The plans I purchased are called the Importer which I modified to fit the Tacoma, midsize pickup, I shorten the height a foot, reduced the cabover, increased the floor length 5" and width 2". I call it a small pickup because it's dwarfed by what most people drive out here in the west.
Importer.jpgiphoto1.jpg

hugh_h

Observer
hardbody is nickname for nissan d21 / king cab / very early navara if you want

waiting for exterior photos

Goober

Adventurer
It's only noon here, I'm taking a lunch break. I've got the framing for the rear overhang to do before photos.

Goober

Adventurer
IMG_1483a.jpg

IMG_1479a.jpg

This was a flaky thing to try but doing both ends and subtracting the weight of the board I get approximately 410lbs.
IMG_1494a.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
looking great. :ylsmoke:

Keep us posted once you are finished and start using this camper.

I fear you will have little to no cellular reception inside.....
For my build I looked into the foil faced foam, but two things turned me away.

*The foil faced polyisocyanurate foam crushes and crumbles when impacted

and

*lack or (or very near) ability to use wireless devices within a camper insulated with it

My final decision was to go with blue extruded polystyrene foam. Slightly less r-value, but much more robust, and lacks the foil face.

trackhead

Adventurer
Excellent craftsmanship and documentation.

Isn't the foam you are using more desirable from a carcinogenic/off gassing perspective?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior