Building Camper for Small Pickups

robert

Expedition Leader
I actually had a non-smartassed reason for my asking what aluminum you used- in the picture it looks slightly corrugated but I wasn't sure if that was just the lighting. I was curious if that was indeed what you'd used, and where you'd gotten it, or if you had used a smooth flat piece.

Goober

Adventurer
I actually had a non-smartassed reason for my asking what aluminum you used- in the picture it looks slightly corrugated but I wasn't sure if that was just the lighting. I was curious if that was indeed what you'd used, and where you'd gotten it, or if you had used a smooth flat piece.
I was just joking around with the dumb answers, can't help myself.

It is corrugated, the RV supplier rolls the sheet to whatever pattern you choose. See samples here http://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/rollforms.html Look for trailer repair shops in your area.

Goober

Adventurer
Most of the skin is on now. Spent the weekend finishing the wiring and installing lights then finishing the insulation on the roof. After the foam pieces were placed between roof framing I built up the center with fiberglass insulation. I pulled the fiberglass apart towards the edges to taper it out. This is to create a dome so water won't pool on the roof. To attach the roof aluminum I place a sheet of particle board on top, weighted to flatten it so it wouldn't buckle while being stapled. When the particle board is remove the sheet will dome up. Filler framing will need to be placed around the vent hole to the level of the sheet metal.
IMG_1602a.jpg

IMG_1605a.jpg

IMG_1608a.jpg
A blanket is used between sheet metal and particle board to allow sliding it around, starting on one side at the front, then the other side, then moving to the back.
IMG_1363a.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
Very cool! From your earlier posts it was obvious you had put a lot of thought into it and had a reason for how you did things so that's why I was trying to figure out which material you'd chosen. I've seen campers with both and didn't know if there was a reason to choose one over the other. :)

Goober

Adventurer
Nearly done, still have to add sealant in places, finish wiring and install my mounts. Seems like the little details are endless. I've got some other jobs needing my attention so it'll be 2 weeks before I put this on the truck.

IMG_1630a.jpg

IMG_1633a.jpg

Goober

Adventurer
It's a cargo hatch. I need to do some work on it, beef it up some and add a RV entry door latch/lock set. As it is I don't have a way to lock it from the inside. I bought it because it was only $19, and it was plug 'n play. The only doors I could find that would fit were for teardrop trailers and those are very short and cost $300. Used doors cost that much and shipping is another $100 and I would have to cut it down.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It's a cargo hatch. I need to do some work on it, beef it up some and add a RV entry door latch/lock set. As it is I don't have a way to lock it from the inside. I bought it because it was only $19, and it was plug 'n play. The only doors I could find that would fit were for teardrop trailers and those are very short and cost $300. Used doors cost that much and shipping is another $100 and I would have to cut it down.

Nice, I like it.

Goober

Adventurer
In getting ready to get this on the road I called the utah dmv office to find out what I needed to do to register the camper. I had emailed them previously and learned that "slide-in" campers need registration. While I was on hold for 26 min. I surfed their website and came up with this, which was confirmed by the rep I talk to, I had already printed the forms he told me to pre-fill out before I go to the DMV office. They may want to see that I've applied the sticker properly.

Specially Constructed Vehicles Details
Last Updated on February 23, 2012 A "specially constructed vehicle" includes every type of vehicle that is required to be registered in this state that is:

•not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model, or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles, and
•not materially altered from its original construction.
This includes homemade trailers.

To title and register a specially constructed vehicle, the owner must provide the following information to the DMV; this may require more than one visit:

•A completed Form TC-569A "Ownership Statement", explaining how the essential parts were acquired, describing the construction of the vehicle and the completion date.
•Bills of sale for essential parts that were used (essential parts include the frame and body). If bills of sale are not available, the "Ownership Statement" must state in detail why they cannot be surrendered. Not having bills of sale for essential parts may require the owner to post a bond.
•Original bills of sale and receipts for other parts used in construction of the vehicle.
•Complete a Form TC-162 "Application for Utah Motor Vehicle Identification Number" and a Form TC-656 "Application For Utah Title".
•Provide pictures of the vehicle that clearly show the condition of the interior and all sides of the exterior of the vehicle.
•Safety inspection certificate and emission inspection certificate, if applicable. Vehicles with 1967 or older engines do not require an emission test. In counties that require emissions testing, the owner must obtain a waiver from the local county emissions office.
If all requirements are met, the vehicle owner will receive a Utah Official ID number for the vehicle. The owner will be instructed as to how to affix the assigned ID number to the specially constructed vehicle. After installation, the VIN must be inspected by a police officer or a DMV-CSR.

The title and registration will reflect the make of the vehicle as "SPCN" (specially constructed) and the year of the vehicle is determined by date construction is completed.

The assigned ID number must be affixed to the vehicle by the owner as instructed by the DMV office. After installation, the VIN must be inspected by a police officer, DMV-CSR or certified safety inspector.

In addition to the above procedures, all other title and registration requirements must be met, including payment of fees and sales tax. Sales tax is due on the amount paid for all parts, except for parts on which sales tax has already been paid.

http://dmv.utah.gov/more?id=220:specially-constructed&catid=39

http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-569a.pdf
http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-162.pdf
http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-656.pdf (may not need this one)

Goober

Adventurer
I got the truck weighed without the camper. I was the only passenger in the truck and the only thing in the bed was the DeeZee Bed mat. I filled the gas tank at the station. I probably have another 10lbs of stuff in the cab.

Weight_Chart_6-5-13.jpg

Next week I planning to weigh with the camper on, I'm taking the tailgate off and will weight that separately. I'll see if I can get the wife on board when I do this too. I am also going to weigh with my Aliner trailer hooked up with the camper on. This will be interesting.

BigTex

Observer
I know it's state by state, but it's not a vehicle, right? It's basically a storage unit, for people. Are there other aspects of the law that would cover something that doesn't roll on it's own? Interesting.....

BTW..love the build. I've been following along. I actually found it doing a google search for homemade truck campers, it took me to a toyota forum. Then crusing here like I do, I noticed you were over here too. Small World...errr Internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle