building the Bullet XV

cwsqbm

Explorer
All I can say is it took me about a week & a half to look at myself in the mirror & think I had any shred of talent at all!

Funniest post of the entire thread. Your talent humbles us all. Your truck is better built (and engineered) than just about anything short of an Earthroamer, and even they didn't get where they are now on their first build.

trackhead

Adventurer
Awesome. Nice to see people out using what they built, AND getting it dirty. No reason to build an off-road vehicle and keep silly clean all the time.:sombrero:

Only thing I wish people would do is post more interior chillin' shots. You know, out hiking all day, now we're chillin' with a cold one and eating some good grub in our pimp off-road camper.....kind of stuff.

haven

Expedition Leader
Steve,

Now that you've traveled in your Bullet XV, it would be great if you could compare that experience with your camping in the Tacoma with pop-up camper. I'm sure the larger camper is more comfortable, especially for a long trip, but the smaller truck has advantages, too. Thanks!

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Haven,
yeah.. there's a big difference in between the four wheel/Toyota setup & the Bullet.
outside of the obvious- more room to move around inside, a fantastically comfortable bed, bigger fridge/water tank (which translates to more days between having to go into town), room for the dogs to get out of the way when we're cooking (we just say, 'go to your room'), there's a couple less obvious differences;
The Bullet is about 22 1/2' long, so I can't just park in a standard spot, the Toyota can park anywhere.
The Bullet tends to attract your eyes, so it's no where near as stealth as the Toyota setup (I once pulled into a small town called Sturgis South Dakota back in 1990 - that's right, the 50th Harley Davidson rally. That year there were 300,000 motorcycles & one toyota! I pulled into downtown up to where main street closed, turned right, then pulled into the first parking spot. I slept in the back of the truck in a soft top canopy I made for the next three nights, like 12 feet from all the action. Nobody knew I was sleeping there, & I was in the middle of everything for three days) Also, having a bigger footprint means more requirements of space around you. As you can see from some of the pictures, that wasn't really a problem as Bethany & I like to get away, not party with 300,000 of our friends,(I was still in college back in Sturgis)
I really haven't found anywhere the Bullet's size prohibited us from going, as a matter of fact, I was impressed with how nimble the Bullet was weaving in between trees multiple times.
When designing homes, as a home gets bigger, all the rooms should get bigger proportionately, how this relates to off road campers, is as they get bigger & heavier, we need to factor in more way to get them out of trouble as fewer people will be able to help (no jeep is gonna pull a 14,000 lb rig out of the mud,) so we must have back up plans at all times. With that said, on this last trip, I didn't have to employ any recovery gear, although I didn't baby the thing I'm sure as time goes on, I'll learn more of just what it can do, & test it more.
Driving the Bullet is far different than a 5400 lb Toyota /4 wheel camper, I seemed to drive around 65 mph (14,000 lbs bring with it alot of momentum) the Bullet's suspension is plenty strong for this weight, as are the brakes, but it tended to be everyone around me I worried about more.
The Bullet has FAR more power. The Toyota 6 cylinder has the power to pull a light camper over mountain ranges, but in the Bullet, I can floor it, go from 60 to 75 mph in seconds, pass someone, & slow back down no hesitation.
all in all, the rigs are as they seem, the Toyota's lighter, smaller, more stealthy, goes anywhere, slightly more gas mileage (16 mpg) but less comfortable, requires more frequent refilling (food/water), tight on storage space, & most importantly, more work to set up & take down. did I mention.. ..CHEAPER!
The bullet is heavier, roomier, way more comfortable, still goes anywhere, slightly lower fuel mileage (14 mpg), sets up & ready for anything in 30 seconds with the push of a button, plenty of both inside & outside storage for.. ..really an indefinite amount of traveling, & with a small list of modifications (fine tuning really) it will be perfect for leading Bethany & myself into camping for the next twenty years

(By then, we'll be on the 'vintage camper' forums!)

Steve

sarconcepts

Adventurer
I know this is a bit off topic (of building & creating)
but I said I would let you all know when my four wheel camper was finally for sale,
& I just posted it over at the 'for sale & wanted' section under 'expedition campers & trailers

Plus I also listed the flip-down rear receiver step I built for this camper
along with a custom camper hoist lifting system I made to lift the camper up off the truck & store it overhead
both listed in the 'expedition equipment" area
(The Bullet's a little too heavy for it)!

It's almost spring.. .. my loins are a-growlin' to get out!

camping 07 043.jpgfour wheel camper 003.jpgfour wheel camper 031.jpgfour wheel camper 028.jpgfour wheel camper 019.jpgfour wheel camper 021.jpgfour wheel camper 023.jpgfour wheel camper 024.jpg

mudbooger

I've been looking around on this and other forums for about 2 years, and read your blog. Currently, my wife and I have a small pop up camper, and as we get a bit older and into retirement, I'm finding it a little too tight for our comfort. I've had many ideas for our own custom camper, and seem to keep coming back to the Bullet XV for inspiration.
I like to do off road camping, but still like a certain level of comfort and style. I am familiar with the Earthroamers and like their styling but I love the pop up feature of campers. The more I realize what I'd like, the more I realize I don't have the fab skills to build it. I'm more of a dreamer.
Would you consider building a custom camper similar to the Bullet XV, with some minor changes to meet my and my wife's needs? I am not sure how much something like this would cost but I am flexible and open to working out an estimate with you.
We live in Oregon as well, so communication will be easy.
thanks
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger