bumper and lift options for late model GX460's

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hey all, been trying to do google-**** and looking for some input. Looking for a new rig, and with our criteria of:
-must be a wagon (no pick ups)
-dual climate control
-heated steering wheel
-sufficient power for loaded vehicle + loaded trailer + elevation

Looks like the Land Cruiser 200 and GX460 best fit what we need. Looking at the costs, the dollar goes a lot further on the GX460 than the LC200.

GX460 is a prado 150, right? what lifts and bumper options fit? Looks like the lifts from 4runners fit as long as rear airbags are deleted. Bumper options? Do Prado bumpers fit as long as im willing to cut the front up? What about rear? Would like to be able to get the spare out from under the truck for added fuel tank, and have protection and a winch at the front.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
When you say late model are you referring to the pre- or post-facelift ones? The GX is essentially the same truck as a similar year J120 or J150 Prado but I don't know how the current hyper aggressive Lexus look changes things bumper-wise.

sn_85

Observer
Hey all, been trying to do google-**** and looking for some input. Looking for a new rig, and with our criteria of:
-must be a wagon (no pick ups)
-dual climate control
-heated steering wheel
-sufficient power for loaded vehicle + loaded trailer + elevation

Looks like the Land Cruiser 200 and GX460 best fit what we need. Looking at the costs, the dollar goes a lot further on the GX460 than the LC200.

GX460 is a prado 150, right? what lifts and bumper options fit? Looks like the lifts from 4runners fit as long as rear airbags are deleted. Bumper options? Do Prado bumpers fit as long as im willing to cut the front up? What about rear? Would like to be able to get the spare out from under the truck for added fuel tank, and have protection and a winch at the front.

Thanks!

I would check out i8hmud. There are lots of builds on there. It's built off the Prado 150 platform so 4Runner suspension parts will fit once you get rid of the air suspension. A few companies like MetalTech4x4, Southern Style Speed make rock sliders for them. There's also a fair amount of roof rack options as well from Front Runner, Eezi-Awn, Rhino Rack, Prinsu, Southern Style etc etc. In terms of bumpers the options are limited. You can run the ARB one but the cut to make it fit on 2014+ models isn't very clean and almost seems like it could cause more damage in an accident. If you get a used 10-13 model it's a much better cut and C4 Fabrication also makes a cool front bumper for those years. Rear bumper options are limited. Metaltech4x4 makes some and I think a few have fitted the CBI 4Runner version. A pricey but best alternative would be to someone get your hands on a Kaymar Prado 150 bumper for it although it's quite hard to get here in the US. AFAIK, no aux fuel or long range tanks available yet in the US.

I have a 2016 4Runner but looked really hard at the GX460. It's certainly a great platform to build off of.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Thanks. I had to cross the 4runner out because it doesnt have heated steering wheel or dual climate. My wife has Raynauds syndrome, and while she is an absolute trooper, I want her to be comfortable if possible, and her being able to control her temperature herself is a big one.

Im currently in africa so ill grab a kaymar rear bar and tank while im here before return to US.

The frame is the same, so as long as i dont care about chopping the bumper up, it should work fine right?

DaveInDenver

The frame is the same, so as long as i dont care about chopping the bumper up, it should work fine right?
The few times I've looked into this the frame part number wasn't exactly the same but Toyota gives the Lexus GX a model designation of URJ150 (where a 4.0L V6 Prado would be GRJ150 and a diesel would be KDJ150). So they are probably very closely related.

FWIW, the 4Runner is supposed to be a very close cousin yet Toyota gives it a designation of GRN280 and GRN285. Its frame is also a different part number.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Ok. Sounds like my best bet is to grab the kaymar rear and a fuel tank while here in africa....

Im thinking the front will be fine after chopping the darth vader front.

DaveInDenver

Yes, I'd think the mechanical differences such as the frame will be minor if at all, but as has been mentioned the sheet metal can be an issue with the 2014+ facelift.

moose545

Hey Kurt, how'd you fare build wise? I'm installing my Ironman 4x4 bumper now in front for my 12' 460, rear options are still nil, looking into the CBI option or Dobinsons, seems MetalTech will ala cart you to death building it out. I need to drill my front to run the lead for the parking sensors, and try to see if I can get those to mount correctly, then drill for the sensors themselves. Will post up when I'm done, been fighting my winch mount and wiring this week;

Sidenote: Don't expect much support from Westin/SuperWinch should you need help, they're pretty clueless and don't care to help much if you're missing a manual or anything else much less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears