Bundu Box Review

thecriscokid

Explorer
Bundu Box Review from aspengearlab.com

img_3891-2.jpg

aspengearlab.com
The Bundu Box is a fantastic way to get yourself organized whether you are traveling across the world or loading up for a quick local camping trip. These Boxes are based on the classic design of South African Defense cases.
Now, there are a ton of ways to get gear into your vehicle. If you have done it enough times you have seen everything under the sun like I have. For some people grabbing a couple of Tupperware boxes is the first step. Tupperware boxes are for one, not square, nor do they keep out dust or even keep the lid on half the time if you put a tie down over them.
There is also the other Extreme. Products that are designed for all out abuse. Cases made by Pelican or Storm case will keep your most prized possessions dry and dust free even while being driven over by a Semi. This does come at a premium though. That cost is usually a couple hundred dollars per case. This is where the Bundu Boxes find there home. They are square, inside and out, easy to pack and can except tie down straps in many configurations. They also only cost $40 each.
For a great rattle free kitchen set up, Howling Moon offers a mug and plate foam separator to fit inside a Bundu Box,as well as multiple spice racks and utensile holders (look for later reviews)
These accessories are great way to keep you sanity as soon as your wheels leave the pavement and rattles reveal themselves.
bundukitch.jpg

blank.gif

The design of the boxes has been proven world wide. The supporting structure is on the outside leaving the inside with square edges and flat sides and bottom.
Each corner has a hole on the outside that only goes through the outside wall giving a geat place to attach a tie down hook. Bundu Boxes stack very securely and can take a descent load of weight before they start to deform,making them a great step.
img_3892.jpg

The simple, discrete black apperance is a plus in my opinion while trying to keep a low profile while traveling. The classic Zarges case made of aluminum do draw some attention as they tend to cost multiple hundreds of dollars as well.
While these Bundu boxes are dust proof and water resistant, a cover from Holwing Moon is encouraged if you want to use them on a roof rack. I have easily fit 3 boxes wide in the back of my '94 Land cruiser and have seen 3 wide(covered) on a roof rack.
I think these boxes are best suited for interior storage and great for stacking. I am currently using 4 of them. I am able to separate food, cooking kit, tools, and spare vehicle fluids. I have been using the standard low top version in the classic 500x400x230mm (roughly 20x16x9").
img_3895.jpg

Many of your standard quart sized oil will fit standing up with careful placement of their tops in conjunction with the lid contours.
This size is very versatile and a high top version is available for this size box. I have been using these cases for a few months of winter weather with morning temps in the single digits. I have broken 1 of the plastic clips that holds the lid on. I am eagerly looking forward to the release of the metal buckles. The buckles are replaceable and easy to do.
Look for more reviews from Howling Moon and Bundu Gear
http://www.bundugear.com

ssssnake529

Explorer
"They are square, inside and out, easy to pack and can accept tie down straps in many configurations."

Merrell Widerness Canyon "New Edition" Review

With a long history of the original Wilderness backpacking boot from Merrell there seemed to be a lot of promise for a "New Edition".

(Just giving you a bit of editing help with your reviews."

I like these boxes. I have three of them myself. Much better than the Action Packers I was using previously. Only issue with them is that they are hard to buy. Bundugear is pretty much always out of stock on them, and when they do get a shipment, they sell out immediately.

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Thanks for taking the time to look through the site a bit. I really need a secretary to go over my grammar. I kind of shoot from the hip with a fast draw. Thanks for ssssnipering529 :sombrero:
As another member suggested. I will include the MSRP in the title. Also working on the home page a bit

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
"

I like these boxes. I have three of them myself. Much better than the Action Packers I was using previously. Only issue with them is that they are hard to buy. Bundugear is pretty much always out of stock on them, and when they do get a shipment, they sell out immediately.
Thanks Crisco,
Appreciate the review. Nice to know how they're being used.

Sssnake - we're trying to address the issue. Not only is supply an issue for us as well, but we're also trying to sort out the clips, which can be a pain. Hang in there with us, and 2012 will prove to be an interesting year. We have some things on the boil!

thecriscokid

Explorer
There are a few choices now. I have been using the 500x400x230mm (roughly 20x16x9") The High Top adds 60mm (2.36") vertical to the same box.
The Low Lid MKII is 400x340x340mm (roughly 16x13x13)

thecriscokid

Explorer
Thanks Crisco,
Appreciate the review. Nice to know how they're being used.

They have been getting a good bit of use. I have been using 1 of them around the house for random errands like loading magazines to the recycle center. The size is great. I have hauled around a solid 50lbs in them. If they were much bigger I think they would easily get overloaded. I have a few parts that I need before my modular drawer system is finished. I will add pictures when it is running smoothly

lam396

Adventurer
You say they are water resistant but do you think it would be possible to make an o-ring out of gasket sealant like can be done with the action packers? From the pictures I have seen I can't tell if there is a "channel" for the gasket to sit.

Idlehour

Observer
Any chances of comparing these to the "really useful box"es they stock at office depot? They seem like they might be similar, but It's really hard to tell sturdiness or ease of use of something from cyberspace. It would be nice to compare them to something a lot of us can get our hands On in meatspace, and see if they are worth the wait.

thecriscokid

Explorer
You say they are water resistant but do you think it would be possible to make an o-ring out of gasket sealant like can be done with the action packers? From the pictures I have seen I can't tell if there is a "channel" for the gasket to sit.

I will look at that tomorrow in the daylight. It all depends on where everything fits together. I bet a little silicone bead could work. Good idea

thecriscokid

Explorer
Any chances of comparing these to the "really useful box"es they stock at office depot? They seem like they might be similar, but It's really hard to tell sturdiness or ease of use of something from cyberspace. It would be nice to compare them to something a lot of us can get our hands On in meatspace, and see if they are worth the wait.

I'm not familiar with that box. I will check it out. We are about to move homes and will need an office depot run when we get settled. I'll grab one if they are close to having vertical walls

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Look great for the money but about 1" too long and 1" too wide for my needs.
Will you be coming out with other sizes Bundu?

dstock

Explorer
I'm not familiar with that box. I will check it out. We are about to move homes and will need an office depot run when we get settled. I'll grab one if they are close to having vertical walls

I am going to check the "really useful boxes" out as well and compare them to the Bundu I have. Bundu availability, sizing and the plastic clips (a couple of which were broken upon receiving my order) are limiting factors for me. While the Bundu may be strong enough to park on, I'm not sure I need that strength requirement considering mine will be used in the rear of my vehicle or in a cargo box on the roof. Plus at $15 -$25 for the "really useful boxes" in the sizes I am looking at, they are cheap to replace and readily available at most of the big office supply chains.
Or they may be utter crap...lol, but worth a once over at least.

I will report back....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman