Bush AX27 Initial Impressions

chuppie

Observer
I just received my AX27.
I am going to post my thoughts about it here.

My experience with RTTs:
I currently have a Tepui Autana with an Annex. It is in it's 10th season with about 120 nights of use so far. If anyone wants a 10 season 120 night review of it let me know and I will create a thread.

I am doing a Chevy Van 3500 build as well and that is documented in Domestic Full size

This will be limited to the AX27

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_140854116_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_140854116_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230623_141510925.jpg
    IMG_20230623_141510925.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230623_140407355_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_140407355_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

chuppie

Observer
The Fed ex driver was great. He helped get it into my garage up my sloped driveway. This thing weights 235 pounds by itself and with the packing, it had to be 300.

The packaging was outstanding. It was double boxed and double strapped. It is very thick and high density cardboard. It arrived with no obvious shipping damage. The box is very good shape considering it came from South Africa.

More as I make progress. I have to travel for the next 10 days.

I

chuppie

Observer
Some more observations:
The tent is very sturdy. The sewing looks great as do the aluminum welds.

It comes with 3 pair of cross bar mounting hardware. One of the Bush videos said you should use 4 crossbars. I planned for 4 crossbars so I guess I will fabricating a pair for the 4th cross bar. The mounting hardware looks and feels like it will be used by the military. The pieces that straddles the bottom of the cross bars has to be 3/16" thick.
Everything is well machined and appears massively over engineered.

I am not complaining about it
I like over engineered.

The tent roof has room for a third 100 watt panel and a pair of custom crossbars. So 300 watts without having to buy all new panels, just 1.

It stinks when I propped it open.
Some kind of industrial smell. I have fan running into it now and hopefully the smell goes away before I start working it after the 4th.

I think it would be helpful to have some labor to help when ready to attach the struts. The top sans struts is a handful.

Finally this isn't for a Subaru. It is too large and heavy for four banger SUVs.

Last edited:

chuppie

Observer
Note: The adjustable prop rod was included for strut installation and as an emergency support if a strut fails.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_195243394.jpg
    IMG_20230623_195243394.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230623_195229598_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_195229598_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

chuppie

Observer
One more thing, the steps are nice on the ladder. Barefoot won't be the pain festival it is with my Tepui.

chuppie

Observer
Got it on roof by making a ramp with 2x4s. 2 of us were able to set it in place. Going camping tomorrow with the Ax27 and Tepui trailer. Plan on sleeping in AX27. More to come when I get back

Attachments

• 20230628_195428.jpg
    20230628_195428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

concretejungle

Adventurer
question for you on your solar comment. Are the panels you plan on installing to power the tent or the truck? I ask because I went through the same process and did not want to make a penetration into the roof of my truck. So I decided to keep the solar panels mobile so I could move them around and chase the sun, then just plug a cable into the tent when I want to power up the tent and accessories in the tent.

chuppie

Observer
question for you on your solar comment. Are the panels you plan on installing to power the tent or the truck? I ask because I went through the same process and did not want to make a penetration into the roof of my truck. So I decided to keep the solar panels mobile so I could move them around and chase the sun, then just plug a cable into the tent when I want to power up the tent and accessories in the tent.
I have 3) 100 watt panels I plan on mounting to roof of RTT. I have a 200 AH lithium battery in the van that I use for my cooler and making coffee. I also have A 40AMP DC to DC charger.
I don't want to punch holes either. The rear doors of express have enough room by the hinges to snake 2 pairs of 10 gauge wire out and up. One pair for solar panels, the other for RTT power I will take some pictures and and post them on my Van build thread here:

chuppie

Observer
Additional Drivel.
Loved how easy it was to open when I got home to let it dry after breaking camp with it still damp from rain.
I have watched the YouTube on closing it up but still can't close it without having to tuck in fabric on sides with a pole.

The tent comes with 2 ladder brackets. A rear one and one you can chose to mount on the left or right side. The issue with East Coast campgrounds is that many are narrow and some driveways are to the left and others on the right. You really need the a bracket on both sides. I have emailed Bushusa twice asking how to purchase n additional bracket but they don't reply. This is disappointing. The overseas Bush web page does have it listed for sale but not the USA site. I guess I will make one

I added a handle so I
could hold onto it while standing on the step bumper while putting the spring rods in for the awning.

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_163634826_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230707_163634826_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

chuppie

Observer
Post in thread 'Now for something completely different: 2023 Chevy 3500 Extended Express, Yea I know.....It isn't cool.' https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...s-yea-i-know-it-isnt-cool.239602/post-3114654

chuppie

Observer
Additional Drivel.
Loved how easy it was to open when I got home to let it dry after breaking camp with it still damp from rain.
I have watched the YouTube on closing it up but still can't close it without having to tuck in fabric on sides with a pole.

The tent comes with 2 ladder brackets. A rear one and one you can chose to mount on the left or right side. The issue with East Coast campgrounds is that many are narrow and some driveways are to the left and others on the right. You really need the a bracket on both sides. I have emailed Bushusa twice asking how to purchase n additional bracket but they don't reply. This is disappointing. The overseas Bush web page does have it listed for sale but not the USA site. I guess I will make one

I added a handle so I
could hold onto it while standing on the step bumper while putting the spring rods in for the awning.
Painted it black, looks much better

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_175621786_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230709_175621786_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

concretejungle

Adventurer
Gotcha on the solar panels. I didn't realize you were sporting a van!

Two tips I'll toss out; first off ditch the stock mattress and get a foam air mattress. I ordered one off amazon and it absolutely is so much more comfortable. I open the valve to deflate as I'm exiting the tent in the morning and it keeps me comfy while still allowing me to close the tent with all my bedding in it.

Secondly: get a little bungy cord and hook it on the two pockets just in front of the door. It helps pull the fabric in when you close it. I still have to "reach around" and give it a little help, but much much better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior