Bush Company Alpha RTT

tomtaylz

Big thanks to Okie Preacher for showing me his Alpha tent last weekend. We absolutely loved it, so we purchased one of the last remaining Bush Co/CVT branded units that just made it to Oregon. We are waiting for it to ship to us in OKC.

However, we just discovered that Bush Co changed the design for the USA market from multiple "side to side" mounting ails to only two "front to back" rails spaced 45.5" apart which is wider than a lot of roof racks and factory rails. This totally changes how I was planning mounting it to my LR4. I am pretty disappointed and trying to figure out another option. Probably going have to go completely custom unless someone has some other ideas.

I believe that change was just for CVT for whatever reason. The ones from other vendors have the normal side to side mounts

tomtaylz

Spent about 6 nights in my bush company tent so far. It's a really nice tent - I added a 1" latex topper and have wired up a sirocco fan using their fan bracket. With all the canvas it keeps in the heat very well too. My first roof top tent, and definitely the best sleep I've had while camping. With the topper it's just as comfy as a lot of beds.

One con is it's a bit hard to close, I do have a fair amount of bedding in there with the topper and might need to keep playing with how it sits, and need to check a couple of things with the struts. Besides that really love it. Happy to answer any questions people may have.

D994DB11-E418-4BD7-A08A-2B6853808C5D_1_105_c.jpeg

22B8A546-8426-4246-867F-BC1C7F664F28_1_105_c.jpeg

AE7C920E-7BA6-486B-8330-CC24DC1814EF_1_105_c.jpeg

cbboard

We ended up purchasing a Sprinter 4x4, so I don't think we will be using the RTT much. I hate to have it just sitting on the LR4 and not getting used.

moose545

Looks like a nice enough RTT, but that awning surely will be a noise maker in notorious western state's winds.

You talking about the overhangs on the tent itself, or the 270* from Bush Co.? I'm looking at getting the Black Maxx series tent and I like the overhangs for all 3 sides, but wish the mattress was a bit more like an Autohome for what they cost. Are all 270* awnings bad in the wind, or do you say that with the Bush Co. awning because of the little overhanging flaps on all the edges? I know there's a lot more options for awnings. The only other tent I'm flirting with rather than the Bush Co. Maxx is the Alucab Series 3, but the Maxx weighs less and has more room, and I'm doubting the mattress in there is much better. Seems like adding a topper is the route to go regardless.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Sorry, my comment was ambiguous; I meant to say the awning apart of the RTT appears it would really flap in windy conditions.

You talking about the overhangs on the tent itself, or the 270* from Bush Co.? I'm looking at getting the Black Maxx series tent and I like the overhangs for all 3 sides, but wish the mattress was a bit more like an Autohome for what they cost. Are all 270* awnings bad in the wind, or do you say that with the Bush Co. awning because of the little overhanging flaps on all the edges? I know there's a lot more options for awnings. The only other tent I'm flirting with rather than the Bush Co. Maxx is the Alucab Series 3, but the Maxx weighs less and has more room, and I'm doubting the mattress in there is much better. Seems like adding a topper is the route to go regardless.
On the mattress... The wife and I have found the mattress in the Alpha to be a bit firm for our taste. The simple addition of a memory foam topper corrected the issue and we could not be happier. With the mattress, the topper, top and fitted bottom sheets, a goose-down quilt, and three down pillows, the tent will still close. (It is tight, but it will close!)

Sorry, my comment was ambiguous; I meant to say the awning apart of the RTT appears it would really flap in windy conditions.
With the two supplied straps which attach to D-Rings on the 'back" of the tent, we have found we can cinch the awning down tight enough to remove 99% of the "flap" in high winds. We have slept through some significant thunderstorms and have been very satisfied with the Alpha's performance. Make sure the front of the tent is angled into the dominant wind, cinch down the awning, and all is well.

tomtaylz

On the mattress... The wife and I have found the mattress in the Alpha to be a bit firm for our taste. The simple addition of a memory foam topper corrected the issue and we could not be happier. With the mattress, the topper, top and fitted bottom sheets, a goose-down quilt, and three down pillows, the tent will still close. (It is tight, but it will close!)

With the two supplied straps which attach to D-Rings on the 'back" of the tent, we have found we can cinch the awning down tight enough to remove 99% of the "flap" in high winds. We have slept through some significant thunderstorms and have been very satisfied with the Alpha's performance. Make sure the front of the tent is angled into the dominant wind, cinch down the awning, and all is well.

Yes this is how it looks with the D rings attached

E74F974E-A001-4DBF-8283-9C61B6603236_1_105_c.jpeg

I've also heard some users in very heavy winds not using the spring rods and using a bungie to tie down the awning.

surfdoggins

How does the tent mount to the canopy? I’m guessing there are brackets that attach to the crossbars that are mounted to the canopy? Could you post some pictures of the mounting points and the rails that come with the tent? Trying to figure out how I would go about mounting one to our canopy. I got a RLD canopy and would ideally like to mount it directly to the canopy if possible. Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan