Busted R380 cooling line

cationmoted

Observer
after going through a mud pit a log managed to knock the serpentine belt off, and rip my transmission cooling line(R380 5 speed). ironically i just changed my transmission fluid a day before.

rover123003.jpg

so my question is, can i seperate the hose from the pipe and just replace the ruptured hose? if so how would i go about seperating them as i see no way to disconnect them. Or do i have to replace the whole line from the tranny to the cooler? if so would replacing the whole pipe/line with a hose work just as well?
thanks all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
I don't know the details of this line and your picture is a little hard to see...but you should be able to take the assembly to a hose shop and get the hose section replaced.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Do they need one? I opt not if they don't. What conditions would require one? Why does a Disco need one and not a Defender?

overlander

Expedition Leader
Interesting link Red. Kinds of tells the story. Sorry to hijack, but since i have a 2.8 in mine, my 300 tdi radiator engine oil cooler ports are unused. If I decided to tap my R380 into the unused ports on the radiator, would that check the block?

Red90

Adventurer
John, yeah well aware of Dave's cooler setup. Just don't want one bad enough to pay $400.
You need the gearbox plate, which I'm sure you could get from a junk yard (maybe in Australia) and then source a cooler from any auto parts store and some hose. Should be easy enough to do.

Red90

Adventurer
Interesting link Red. Kinds of tells the story. Sorry to hijack, but since i have a 2.8 in mine, my 300 tdi radiator engine oil cooler ports are unused. If I decided to tap my R380 into the unused ports on the radiator, would that check the block?

Not sure you would want to use a built in radiator cooler as that heats the oil up to coolant temperature which may not be a good idea for the gearbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman