Buy new or reuse

schmugboy

Observer
So my father in law gave me a bunch of old CB's. Most look well used and he has a problem with buying garage sale junk and trying to fix them. So I have about four, with two antennas one magnetic base and one that looks like a cheap firestick. So I did a preliminary test in the drive way and could not get any chatter on any channel, I am wondering whether it is worth the time to try and piece together a functioning system or just go buy a complete setup and get something new that has a chance of working. I don't even have an idea of how to test these things other than get near an interstate and hope to pick some talking.
Any help is appreciated.

DD

gary in ohio

Explorer
Unless they are high end models with SSB they are not worth fixing. Since you can get new CB pretty cheap now and antenna are also cheap go new or at least used working. There is little you can repair on a cb without knowledge and test gear.

DesertXJ

Observer
Unless they are high end models with SSB they are not worth fixing. Since you can get new CB pretty cheap now and antenna are also cheap go new or at least used working. There is little you can repair on a cb without knowledge and test gear.

yeah what he said, I've played around with CBs and unless you have the right gear and some schematics with a knowledge of how to read them. It would be like try to paddle a canoe up stream against the current with no oars.

GlennA

Adventurer
Tell me what you have and I'll tell you whether it makes sense to keep it.

Throw the "mag mount" antenna in the nearest trash bin.

You can get a Uniden PC510 delivered to your door for about $40 and a PC520 for about $50. Loves truck stops have the Cobra 29LTD on sale for $79.

There is probably a shop in ABQ that can check them out. If you are willing, try to work out a trade, repair one for your use and give the others to the shop owner. If you have anything worth resaling, he may be game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan