Buying a Gen 2-2.5 Montero

wolfcw1

I'm looking at getting a Montero since the pricing is better than that of a 4Runner here (Asheville, NC). I've found two possible candidates within a reasonable drive and was wondering what you guys with more intimate knowledge of these vehicles would do.

The first is a 97 SR with 257k miles and no maintenance history (it may or may not have been done but the current 3rd owner has no knowledge of it). They said they would take $1500. The exterior looks great in the photos and the interior looks good other than some seam separation on the front passenger's armrest.

The second is a 99 with winter package and 126k miles. Timing belt was done @ 80k and the bottom end was rebuilt at 80k as well (I believe they said crank shaft bolt failure). This one has new brakes, fresh oil, and records since 77k (it was purchased from carmax at that time). They'll take $4700.

Would it be worth buying the 97 and immediately dumping $1500 (rough guess) in to bringing the maintenance up to spec? Or would you just get the 99 at considerably higher initial cost?

wolfcw1

Yeah, I wish the price was better but everything here is higher than other parts of the country. Ex. 4runners sale 1-2k+ above book values.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I wish the price was better but everything here is higher than other parts of the country. Ex. 4runners sale 1-2k+ above book values.

Because of the lack of rust some geographic areas demand a bit higher pricing. If you show up with $3500 cash for the 99 it would be hard for them to say no.

mapper

Explorer
Agree with the above. I'd say you'd could probably get the 99 for $4k but yes, show up with 3500 cash and see what happens.

Unless the 97 recently had a timing belt, valve guides and suspension work done...I think you'll easily sink more than $1500 into it AND you'll still have a 250k mile truck for about $3k. vs a 126k with more desirable features and nothing needed, maintenance wise, for another year or 2. I'd call it a no brainer...unless you don't have the money available.

wolfcw1

The price isn't really any more negotiable (they have it listed at 5500) and I'm not driving 5 hours round trip for the slim chance they'll take 1200 less because that's all I showed up with. I'd love to get it for 3500 or even 4000, but the local market doesn't support that. Looking at the CL ads thread, I see 5-10 available in the LA area right now where I have 2 to pick from in a 200 mi radius.

mapper

Explorer
Well in the scheme of it all $700 is pretty negligible. You could wait for a better deal or just suck it up and pay them for what sounds like a pretty clean/low miles gen 2.5 (definitely something one doesn't come across every day). Seems for that money prospective buyers could be looking at newer models and, although we like the 2.5, most shoppers would rather have the more modern Gen 3. I think they'll have a hard time selling at that price but you never know who'll come along, offer them cash, on the spot, and drive it home.

If they say they'll take $4700 and you decide you want to buy it. I'd still drive up there with the $4700. Then drive it. If it really is in amazing shape, needing nothing, you'll get plenty of enjoyment at that price, albeit a premium price. If you find things that need attention, take those into consideration and offer them exactly what you'd be happy paying for it, as it sits. If you offer what you think it is worth, they you'll be happy with the deal.

I actually tried to offer the guy selling my Montero MORE than he was asking. I still would have been happy. He knew it was a project car and was happy to get only what he was asking...we were both happy, and that is what makes a great deal.

wolfcw1

Thanks. That's kind of where I'm sitting with it. I would love to get another 4Runner, but a late 3rd gen in similar shape runs anywhere from 5500-8000 here and usually has 2x the miles. The leather Toyota uses is also crap. I've never seen a 4Runner with OEM leather that didn't have tears at least on the drivers seat. I've never owned a Mitsu, mostly due to really bad experiences had by friends and family, but have always heard how good the original Montero/Pajero is. They definitely offer far more value than a 4Runner or LC and I feel safe with the drivetrain as long as proper maintenance has been done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman