Buying a Montero (3rd Gen)

Plumberjohn

Observer
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, and would like to pick your collective brain.
I am looking at a couple Montero's. Same seller. They are both in good shape, but have their own issues.

1st one is an '03 limited, 220,000km. It's in great shape, little to no rust. It needs valve cover gaskets (seems common the more I read through this forum), and the 4x4 indicator light flashes for the front two wheels, until 4x4 is engaged, then it goes away (also common). The middle bench (one side only) does not recline.

The second is an XLS (same generation). It has 172,000km. There is little rust on this one as well. This one has the following issues, indicated by dash lights. A/C temp light on(?), parking brake light always on, gets brighter when parking brake is engaged, no 4x4 indicator lights at all, traction control light indicates "off" at all times, and there is a symbols that looks to indicate the truck is on a large angle.

The XLS seems to drive nicer, and they are close in price. I plan to do t belts (unless a bill can be given proving that it was done).

Any advice?

Sorry for the long winded post! Looking forward to getting on some trails for the first time!

plh

Explorer
Would you do the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump etc assuming there is no record? or hire it out? Hired out its a $1200 +/- service

Plumberjohn

Observer
I'd look to do it myself (with help from a mechanic friend, or help my mechanic friend do it!). If it's too complicated, I'd hire it out. Rock Auto has complete kits, good prices.

Eric M

Adventurer
I'd go with the Limited. The XLS appears to have some sort of issue with the brakes that 50,000kms probably isn't worth dealing with.

Plumberjohn

Observer
I didn't realize they were OE. That's good news. I hope he has a bill. I'd rather not do this job. But I don't want to risk it if he doesn't. Even the $1200 now would be a bargin compared to a broken belt. Thanks plh.

Thank Eric M,I was leaning towards the Limited. It's a nice truck. And at that age, I guess 50k isn't a big deal!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Thanks Sabre. I may finally get a vehicle with leather!
The XLS has a bunch of dash lights on. Very festive, but maybe not what I need to get into.

Plumberjohn

Observer
Thanks Sabre. I may finally get a vehicle with leather!
The XLS has a bunch of dash lights on. Very festive, but maybe not what I need to get into.

loremordred

Observer
I got a 04 Ltd for $2800. With 200k on the clock.

$4k+ with 220k seems a bit steep, unless it's in immaculate condition. If they throw in the timing belt, spark plugs, water pump change, then it may be worth it.

Valve cover replaceable isn't that hard. Takes some time if you are meticulous like me.

Blinking light may be the freewheel engage solenoid. Mine would work in cold weather then disengage at hot running temp. $30-150 replacement. Unless you find one from a junkyard.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman