Buying bead lock super singles and need advice

lucilius

Vote for more law & order?
I don't know how likely it is that thieves would be interested in camper beadlock wheels/tires, esp. on vehicles larger than pickup trucks/jeeps and would think the stuff inside the truck/camper is far more valuable & easier to offload. Then again we live in a comical sort of age where a growing number of lowly individuals will actually steal catalytic converters. I've never found a good solution for securing an unattended vehicle, esp. a camper full of all sorts of good stuff. More specifically, I am unaware of any wheel security system that a competent thief cannot easily get around or incompetent thief will just damage the wheels in the attempt e.g. using a battery-powered angle grinder. Given the availability modern tools & knowledge the best security is perhaps your planning and choice of parking/storage location. Generally, if you leave any vehicle unattended at a remote location/trailhead/etc. thieves will be able to take anything they want, so plan carefully.

Reactions: mog

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Huh? I guess if somebody wants your wheels they will take them. I've driven more than a million miles over 30 years and never once had a wheel stolen. There is no security solution for wheels. I have super singles. My spare isn't really secure. If you're worried then I'd say park your truck inside.

Perhaps be more specific:
Are the wheels mass market size (17-18”) for a popular type vehicle (SUV/pickup), ex-military (20” with >10k lb load capacity), or in between like 19.5-20” for F550 or Isuzu/Fuso?
Is your concern parking in front of your residence, parking at a trailhead for a several days or more backpacking trip, or long term storage on the opposite side of the planet while you go home for a breather (my current situation)?

Deleted Member 183

I think Charlie has a good point.

The wheels/ tires on Casa are Conti 365/85 R20 MPT's on military beadlocks (steel) and weigh a little over 180 Kg (400 lbs) a piece and bolted on at 400 ft/lbs . Beyond that the thieves would have to have specific lifting jacks to lift a 10 ton vehicle up (especially on soft ground) to take the wheels.

So it would be far more likely that the dirtbags would just take the whole truck, and thwarting that can be done with hidden "kill" switches and other tricks that myself or other big "adventure rig" would never share on an online forum.

As far as having my truck messed with in seedy towns south of the border ( like Mexicali or Tijuana) while shopping or grabbing lunch at a favorite taco bar... We just leave the keys in the ignition! ;)

boodog.jpg

gator70

20X10 with 37"tires, setup for 4000lb loads on each corner.

My concern is anywhere I must leave the rig overnight unattended.

We have protected the rig with many steps - installations from being stolen , which I will not speak in detail here.

It sounds like it’s either an F550 or Isuzu/Fuso type vehicle.
There aren’t many of those around compared to say Jeeps or other “mass-market” type vehicles.
So IMHO the probability someone would have any use for super singles of that particular size is much lower.
But a general principle is that anything you do to increase the amount of time needed to steal something makes it less likely to disappear. So consider using permanent type Loctite, which requires heating with a torch to loosen.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 183

gator70, I'm going to share with you a saying that i was taught at a young age...

DON'T BARROW TROUBLE!

Maybe you are "batting out of your league"? It is sort of like paddling into a break with double overhead barrels...

If you are not willing or prepared to get bounced off the reef... you shouldn't be there!

5cb9976f8cfbec90b06e3d4fb1cbde20.jpg

TonyCatmandu

I would be worried that the thief would get stuck under your rig trying to steal your ties and then sue you for damages since you did not adequately warn them that taking something that doesn't belong to them could be dangerous!

Maybe ask your insurance agent if you can name specific items on your policy. I don't know if there are provisions for after market add-ons or some other way to protect yourself on that side of things. You won't be able to make it home but at least could recover some of the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior