C.L. '77 Cherokee- opinions

proto

Adventurer
Well, it's a killer price, and it could be good deal, but honestly, you're probably better off going for a more common Chevy or Ford in the sub $1000 price range. (And this is coming from a guy who's had a couple of all three.)

We could go on about the strengths and weaknesses of the Full Size Jeep, the common rust areas, the benefits of Quadra-Trac, etc. but as you say: you're not a Jeep guy and don't intend to become one. That's probably the kiss of death for this purchase.

Jeeps from this era use what might charitably be called an 'oddball' mix of parts. Combine that with the fact that the FSJ 'fleet' is aging and you have a recipe for frustration. It's going to be far easier to find parts for a similar year Blazer or Bronco. Fewer people know the ins and outs of servicing and solving problems in FSJs, and it's harder even to get simple info like diagrams for wiring and vacuum lines.

This would be a wonderful project truck for someone wanting to build an American overlander and willing to take on its idiosyncrasies. For a winter beater and general hauling, save yourself some pain and take the road more traveled.

Sorry to be kind of a downer. Good luck.

silvergrand

Adventurer
I would agree with Proto, to a degree. I'm a jeep guy and I'm currently working on a 84' GW. Great trucks that are rust magnets! If you buy this one you will become a Jeep guy, like it or not.

The parts on that model are in high demand so that may be worth a look. I would like the front/rear bumper, etc. The "Gladiator" style grills off of the early 60' models are selling for around $200.00. The razors (your photo) are also climbing in price.

But the Chevy for a beater and buy the Cherokee for history and fun.

ccarley

Adventurer
I also enjoy my Full Size Jeep. A Cherokee is cool because it has 2 doors (that is, if you are into that sort of thing). I'd hate to see it become a beater, but I like classic cars, and to me a Full Size Jeep is totally a classic car.

If you did get it, you will become a Jeep guy. Everyone who asks me how it is mine is still in great shape, I tell them it's because I'm a mechanic. Not by trade anymore, but boy it sure does help when say the power valve goes out, or the pcv valve gets stuck... or when your driveshaft falls off on the freeway!

That being said, they are great vehicles. They just need some love every once in a while!

Good luck on your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998