C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

NeverEnough

Adventurer
ROAD TEST!

Things finally slowed down enough today to allow me a few hours to prep the beast for an actual road test. To date, the only miles on camper have been a handful of trips between the paint shop, my brother's shop, and my office- and all below 35mph. Here she is all buttoned up for the road:

CA06291216310602-M.jpg

A view looking at the back:

CA06291216304348-M.jpg

Notice the new "fin" on the slide room "push bar". That assembly started as a 2x4 tube- I then added a 2x4 channel to stiffen it up, but finally added the center fin of 3/8" sheet to create a truss effect. Now's there's no flex, which makes the big slide move nice and smooth.

The road test went very well. My business partner and I took turns riding in the camper (pass through to the cab hasn't been built) to evaluate the ride and to see if anything important was moving or falling apart. The most immediate difference between this rig and most Class C motorhomes I've driven is zero ocillation of the camper body when going around turns, especially turns involving torsional stress like deep gutters and driveways. The body looks so big and tall that it's hard to believe it wouldn't be swaying back and forth. The body/subframe and cab/chassis definitely do their own thing, but without over-rebounding. I'm glad I kept most of the weight down at or below the frame rails.

The ride in the camper is very smooth, and the most quiet motorhome I've ever been in- much more quiet than I expected. The only clattering right now is caused by the rails from the blinds occasionally hitting the window frames- hopefully I can minimize that with some drawer cushions. The ride is also better in the camper than in the cab. Even so, I'll be taking the rig to suspension shop next week for an evaluation. I'm hoping I can get a bit more dampening without introducing too much side to side softness. The cab has a Link setup, but I think it needs some work.

The rig moves at highway speeds just fine, and then some. It will be interesting to do some MPG measurements in the coming weeks.

I've still got a long punch list of little stuff, like some cabinet inserts and connecting the cargo door electric locks. I also have to tweek the big slide's power umbillical before installing the solar panels. It hangs up now and then, so I have to make sure that's taken care of before the panels go on since it's beneath the PV array. Casey from D&A Truck Equipment came over to do the final measurements for the catches for the big safety latches so I can bolt those on next week. And it'll need a final "pretty" paint job, but all in all.... getting very close. As much as I'd like to take it out for the weekend, I'm reluctant to do so until it's all wrapped up.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Did you take the trailer with you for any of the test run? Would be nice to know how that went as well!

Looks great, and I am glad to read it is finally close to being on the road!

Regards,
Brian

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Glad to see it finally getting out on the road. This has been the longest build thread on EXPO, but probably one of the most elaborate and favorite of mine

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Did you take the trailer with you for any of the test run? Would be nice to know how that went as well!

I drove the truck and camper over Parley's Summit on I-80 to Park City on Saturday (101 degrees when I left the valley), then repeated the trip the next day with the trailer in tow. There are more brutal climbs in the West, but Parley's is a pretty good indicator of what to expect on a long uphill.

CA07031213003777-M.jpg

The camper and the trailer did great. They ride well and nothing's coming loose or falling off. :) I deployed all the moving parts when I got home to make sure everything is working as it should.

CA07021207473588-M.jpg

It was the first time I'd tested all of the jacks together, and they're all working fine. Some of the drawer and cabinet catches need to be adjusted, and the inverter configuration isn't quite dialed in, but it's getting close. I've also decided to extend the tongue of the trailer 16" to give me a better turning radius once I swap out the ball coupler for the pintel/lunette.

I really haven't driven the truck since last summer, except for back and forth between the shop and the storage unit a few times. It was running hot over climbs last summer, but I never boiled it over. I just backed off and took my time. I had the same experience on Saturday and Sunday. I couldn't do the two steepest sections of the climb at more than 35mph in order to keep it at the 3/4 (230?) mark or cooler on the gauge. I can't see any coolant leaking, and the cap appears good. I'm taking it in on Thursday to have them check the entire cooling system to see if something's up with the T-stat, clutch fan or maybe just a gunked up radiator. It maintains normal temp on the flats, even at 65-70. If any of you have experience with Topkicks, let me know if you've had similar issues.

Last edited:

K2ZJ

Explorer
Do you know the sadness you feel when you are getting close to the end of a great book? You don't want it to end as the characters stories are wrapping up, that i how I feel about this. I have enjoyed reading this thread a ton. I am sorry, but I am sad to see you finishing and it all coming to end. Although, I am very happy for you and still yearn to see more.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Do you know the sadness you feel when you are getting close to the end of a great book? You don't want it to end as the characters stories are wrapping up, that i how I feel about this. I have enjoyed reading this thread a ton. I am sorry, but I am sad to see you finishing and it all coming to end. Although, I am very happy for you and still yearn to see more.

Well said.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Is your fan clutch engaging when its hot? If your fan clutch is an electronic one controlled by the ECM I have seen them have issues with slippage. Also 3/4 on your guage might not be as hot as you think or hot enough to make the fan clutch engage. Nice build on your truck.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Is your fan clutch engaging when its hot? If your fan clutch is an electronic one controlled by the ECM I have seen them have issues with slippage. Also 3/4 on your guage might not be as hot as you think or hot enough to make the fan clutch engage. Nice build on your truck.

It was the fan clutch. Scratching my head as to why it would be toast after 34K, but got it fixed this morning. This afternoon was spent with Jose and Josh at D&A fitting some filler panels and tubing for the rear of the subframe. They will allow me to finally mount the safety latches. They also provided an opportunity to mount some better lights.

Cutting the panel components:
CA07061221173993-M.jpg

The abilty to quickly lift the body comes in very handy for service and mods:

CA07061221164278-M.jpg

A shot looking down the center from the back, with the battery "pod". It drops through the hole in the subframe. I can also get at the batteries from underneath if I need to.

CA07061221181442-M.jpg

Jose preparing to weld the first panel in.

CA07061221280530-M.jpg

Finishing up the wiring. Nice to have backup lights again, as well as stick to the LED theme.

CA07061221081248-M.jpg

I also took advantage of the opportunity to have Brad from D&A redo the passenger side fuel tank mounts. It was a little bouncy, so he beefed up the angles and added two more anchor points on the rails. No charge on that one....

CA07061221191585-M.jpg

Just spent 2 hours on the drill press preparing the latches and catches. I'll mount them up tomorrow, as well as finally tie in the PV panels to their mounting assembly. We're heading out Sunday morning for a three day test trip at Flaming Gorge. Crossing my fingers...........

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Fan clutch was my #1 suspect. I have seen a couple on Dodge cummins go bad with less miles than yours. The common rail Dodges and Duramaxes are very similar in design and components. Nice rig, need to see some more action shots. Fully deployed in camp action in some remote location with sun going down and you sipping a margarita under the awning would be nice.:elkgrin:

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Nice rig, need to see some more action shots. Fully deployed in camp action in some remote location with sun going down and you sipping a margarita under the awning would be nice.:elkgrin:

Not sunset and no margaritas, but snapped a quick photo of the rig deployed lakeside at Flaming Gorge this weekend.

CA07111209215518-M.jpg

Discovered a few minor issues, like a small crack in one of the vent fitting welds on one of the water tanks. It is a very comfortable setup to be sure. From years of RV camping, one of my biggest gripes is trying to keep the rig clean and uncluttered. Turns out all the planning for easy access to tons of stowage paid off. The rig is very easy to keep clean, which is nothing short of a miracle in a family of boys!

CA07111209213167-M.jpg

The big dissapointment, however is the Topkick. I know I'll get some "I told you so" crap on this one, but I'm about ready to swap out the platform. On a positive note, it did very well on the 10 miles of dirt roads, including using 4L on a couple of very steep sections. But I'm not liking it on the highway at all. Even with the new fan clutch it's running hot, and something is gumming up my fuel filter. It could be crud from the used tanks, or something else. Even if I get that resolved, however, it doesn't have the punch I'm looking for to handle the ups and downs of the western US. I'll have some pros look at it this week to see if anything can be done to make it work, otherwise, I may be in the market for a different truck. Curious about the Terrastars.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Someone I know bought a Terrastar on Ebay. He thought it was the best all around platform for his overland vehicle. He picked it up in, if I am not much mistaken, Missouri, and well before he was halfway home to Colorado he called his wife to tell her that he hated the thing, horrible ride, and it just did not fit like he thought it would. Among other things he said it road really horribly.

What other trucks are you considering? Personally I was impressed with the F650 used in the Eco-Roamer. The major draw back there was that it started out life as a 2wd and had to have the t-case and front axle added. Never the less he took the potash up and out via the Shaffer switchbacks, and it did really well in that, so that says something I guess. I am not saying that this is the truck for you either, only suggesting that you might go out and drive a few of them before you buy, and perhaps get one of them to let you take a truck for a weekend before you buy etc.

Sorry your truck is not what you hoped. It seemed a curious choice, but I was optimistic. Who knows, perhaps they can work it out for you at the shop!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Not sunset and no margaritas, but snapped a quick photo of the rig deployed lakeside at Flaming Gorge this weekend.

CA07111209215518-M.jpg

Discovered a few minor issues, like a small crack in one of the vent fitting welds on one of the water tanks. It is a very comfortable setup to be sure. From years of RV camping, one of my biggest gripes is trying to keep the rig clean and uncluttered. Turns out all the planning for easy access to tons of stowage paid off. The rig is very easy to keep clean, which is nothing short of a miracle in a family of boys!

CA07111209213167-M.jpg

The big dissapointment, however is the Topkick. I know I'll get some "I told you so" crap on this one, but I'm about ready to swap out the platform. On a positive note, it did very well on the 10 miles of dirt roads, including using 4L on a couple of very steep sections. But I'm not liking it on the highway at all. Even with the new fan clutch it's running hot, and something is gumming up my fuel filter. It could be crud from the used tanks, or something else. Even if I get that resolved, however, it doesn't have the punch I'm looking for to handle the ups and downs of the western US. I'll have some pros look at it this week to see if anything can be done to make it work, otherwise, I may be in the market for a different truck. Curious about the Terrastars.

Nice pics. Looks like fun.

Plugged fuel filter can be a huge part of the power problem. Check your cooling stack for debris and oil, I have seen more than one duramax that I pulled the radiator out and found the fins plugged with leaves and such, looked fine on the outside. Make sure all your shrouds and stuff are in place around the cooling units. A slipping trans will cause lack of power and overheating too. I have driven a few duramax pickups with big trailers behind them and they had plenty of power up hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online