Cab Over Camper on truck bed trailer

brent731

Good evening everyone,

First off I feel that I should explain why I started this project. I started it because I got a 1988 Coachman camper for free. I do not own a big truck that the camper will fit on and do not want to pay for the gas to drive a truck big enough to haul the camper.
I have also read a lot of the post around the internet and most say that this is not a great idea but can be done. I know that it is not cheap and I am fine with that.
So far I have not spent much on this project, I got the camper for free, bought a 1993 Ford D350 dually for 200 (totaled truck) and paid a buddy a 100.00 bucks to cut and weld the trailer. (To got the money for this by selling another trailer that I had for 600.00) I had to have the trailer inspected and registered which cost about 100.00, bought a surge brake, new line, and brake shoes for the trailer which was about another 150.00. So far I am still in the green on the project.
The project is the 10 foot cab over camper on a 1993 dually truck bed trailer. I have solved the issue of stopping the trailer with the surge brakes. The one issue that I am having the most trouble with is the suspension. I know that it sits way high then I would like, however I really cannot change that now. I was thinking about put some air bags under the trailer or even doing some of those leaf spring helper things. (I am not that familiar with that concept yet)
I am looking for your guy’s opinion on the project as a whole, (do not worry my feeling do not get hurt easily) and any suspension ideas that you guys may have?

Thank you for your time and have a great day
Brent
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I would think that on a trailer...that would/could get reeeaaalll tippy, real quick.

I do like the concept though.

brent731

Well I have not towed it yet but I am hoping that since it is a dually trailer that it will help with the tippies part. Plus I was thinking that the air bags would also help out with that but again I am not sure yet.

Thanks

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I would put it on a regular trailer, not a truck bed trailer. I think it would be lighter that way, and you can set the suspension to the proper height to get what you want. You could even put a flat bed on one end for carrying other things, you could even do it as a fifth wheel trailer. Make sure you use a weight equalizing hitch.
Tom

Coby65

Observer
Biggest problem I see you having is the wind resistance under the cab over could make the tongue light and induce sway. If it gets out of control you could wreck the tow vehicle and the trailer.
Typically you can counter the sway with an electric brake controller temporarily to slow you down but the surge brakes could make it worse.
What are you going to tow this with?

brent731

Thanks guys keep them coming

The wind resistance is a great point, I had thought about that but was not sure if I was just over thinking the project. I was thinking about building some storage boxes that would deflect the wind down and out, but had not come up with a full plan for that.
I will be towing the trailer with a 2004 for Chevy Silverado.

I when I first got the camper I bought a Flat bed trailer (it was a 5x8) and when I put the camper on it was way to wobbly for my liking. I have been keeping an eye out on craigslist for one that is around 6x10 or 8x10 for a good price but have not been able to find anything yet.
Also thanks for the comments they are helpful, they help me look at things that I may have not known about (I.E the weight equalizing hitch)

brent731

Can I ask how would the surge brakes make the sway worst? I am putting the surge brake on to help with this.

Thanks

Coby65

Observer
Electric brakes have a manual lever on the controller that you can activate in the cab. When applied the trailer will brake and the tow vehicle will not. This puts some pressure on the tongue and aligns the trailer behind the tow vehicle. You then slow the tow rig and the trailer down to a safe speed using the trailer brakes manually.
Hydraulic surge brakes engage through pressure when the weight of the trailer pushes against the tow vehicle when it's brakes are applied. When a trailer starts to sway badly, a tap on the brakes with surge brakes can lock up the trailer brakes and make it loose control especially in wet conditions. Then the tow vehicle and the trailer spin out of control.
Usually the only way to stop the sway is to get the balance of the trailer correct and make sure you have proper tongue weight.

Coby65

Observer
Weight distribution hitches are not a cure all. They help with heavy trailers and let's say you had that camper mounted in the back of a pickup and you wanted tow your jeep on a trailer behind it
You would more than likely need a hitch extension to clear the trailer from the camper. This puts your pivot point of leverage on the ball further behind the axle and the tongue weight would squat the rear of truck. The weight distribution hitch helps negate the scary handling characteristics that come with to much tongue weight on that pivot.

Last edited:

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I like it. I have a similar setup and am looking at getting a larger hard sided cab-over camper for my trailer, as my family has just about outgrown this popup. I would think the dually tires would make it more stable but what do I know. Were all here to learn and share ideas right ?

The weight of my camper (1200lbs.) was kinda taxing for my truck. I installed airbags which worked great for hauling the extra weight. I would recommend them just for towing too. It handled it just fine on many trips, but I also couldn't bring much gear as it adds #'s and didn't want to crowd the inside of the camper with all our gear and firewood.

So I got a trailer, I think its a 6 x 10. I can fit a lot of firewood down the sides, and extra gear up front and in the truck tool box. It tows great, but stopping it on long grades or mountain roads gets the trucks brakes hot to where I will get brake fade. I will usually pull over and let the brakes take a break, when I know they are starting to get hot or I start smelling them. I need to address this issue, and it looks like my next project will be putting electric brakes on the trailer.

Attachments

• 100_2532.jpg
    100_2532.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P1050776 (800x600).jpg
    P1050776 (800x600).jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998