Cabelas vs. Kamp-Rite Tent Cots

theksmith

Explorer
still loving the tent-cot after quite a few trips!

the therm-a-rest in place of the original hard foam pad has worked well. the whole thing is actually bigger than any other cot i've had and so i can really sprawl out and sleep pretty well.

as a side sleeper, whatever arm is on the bottom always goes to sleep. so this last trip i added a piece of memory foam on the inside of the tent-cot so that i would have an even more plush sleeping platform. (it was from Target, for the top of a twin bed). this makes it a little harder to get the tent-cot all folded up compact, but it was even more comfortable! I may experiment with just this instead of the therm-a-rest and it.

i did find out that it can survive without the rain-fly in heavy rain for about 2 hours before it starts to leak through the zippers on the ends where it pools water some. with the rain-fly, it doesn't leak one bit.

no problems with anything wearing out yet except the carrying cover for it has a couple holes in the bottom from dragging in the dirt/rocks. i plan to have an upholsterer friend make a new case for it out of something waterproof so that i can put the thing on the roof rack easily even in severe weather, and have her re-inforce the bottom corners with leather or something heavy-duty.

P1070150.JPG

P1090829.JPG

Bergger

Explorer
I think I've had my double tent cot for about 4 years now. I have not used it a ton but probably 20-25 nights, maybe a few more. It's been great. I've used in on the ground and I've used it elevated while mounted on the bed rails of my Tacoma. I've had it in extreme storms with no issues at all. The first problem I had was just a few weeks ago. Camped at 11300 feet in extreme cold and got 6 inches of snow. Stayed warm and dry but some of the plastic pieces on the legs broke. It still works fine but I think the plastic got a little brittle in the cold. For the time I've had it and the amount I paid for it I have no complaints.

fzsk4p

Adventurer
Ended up getting the oversize and have really enjoyed using it.

Not quite like theksmith or Bergger folks but it did very well. Only drawback was the size. A little awkward to stow but worth the hassle.

In the mean time I have picked up
http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/Kamp-Rite-Collapsible-Combo-Tent-Cot-CCTC-p-16138.html

Best price was here
http://www.nextag.com/Kamp-Rite-Collapsible-Combo-683955348/prices-html

Have yet to use it. Honestly I have yet to open the box but the Kamp-Rite website says it folds up into a much smaller package. 6" H x 6" W x 42" L. Open is 28" W x 40" H x 85" L.

Gotta get it set up and see.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I have the oversize single Tent-cot. The BP near me had all three set up 1 year ago (before the flood). The double unit did not work for me because the bar is right in the middle and was in the way. I am 6'-3" 275 lbs, standard was too small, oversize was just right. I slept in it a number of nights, back deck, beside Jeep at OBX, local woods etc. Not in the rain, yet. I'm satisfied. I do use the Therma-rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12