California Highway 395

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
I've traveled a fair amount in this little state of mine throughout the last few years. I've done a mini van up the 5 and through the redwoods. A Hyundai through the desert and up into the North West. And, I've tinkered around a bit in and outside the cities I've mainly lived (Los Angeles and San Diego).
DSC_1098.jpg
I've come to discover in the past few years, that I get more out of taking the back roads. That is, so long as time allows.
DSC_1089.jpg
My new favorite road is the California 395. It's the quiet older brother to the Interstate 5 and 15. It almost seems to just be there waiting for the curious to find it. Like a boutique road.
DSC_1539.jpg
It's been two years since I got my truck. The main purpose was to fulfill my desire for a great truck while at the same time being able to transport my family of giants to long forgotten places.
DSC_1246 small.jpg
DSC_1274.jpg
DSC_1106.jpg
Running up the eastern side of California, there are actually few people to spoil the serenity of what is just...there. The Sierras. Yosemite. Vast open and mostly untouched space just begging for someone to come say hello.
DSC_1159 small.jpg
DSC_1171 small.jpg
DSC_1498.jpg
DSC_1560.jpg

So, if you ever find youself wanting to take a drive or see some really cool places, whether you live in California or you're just passing through, consider Highway 395.

stingray1300

Explorer
Dang it man, now everybody's gonna want to go there! Just got back from Death Valley (to the Bay Area). Amazing corner of the world...

But quit telling everybody, will ya? :coffeedrink:

Agreed. Ever been to Genoa? The S/O and I ended up there recently. I've been up and down that road on two and four wheels. Never stopped at the hot springs though.

LionZoo

Observer
Went to and from Tahoe this past weekend, taking 395. Great road and a bit of everything, including some hair raising environmental conditions. Had a blast. Caltrans basically stopped plowing between 120 and 203 and I got a road of pure snow. Had so much fun.

EMrider

Explorer
When my tires hit the 395 north, my blood pressure drops and my attitude improves.

That highway and all of its connecting roads offer great scenery, solitude and fun.

R

Rockhounder

Explorer
sooo many awesome hot springs between Keough Hot SPrings just south of Bishop, all the way up to travertine hot springs at Bridgeport..... and all the great ones in between, like in the Mammoth cladera area...

Our favorite spot, the "TUB"
View from the tub.jpg

and Hot Creek, where the river is literally as warm as a bathtub
hot creek.jpg

Rockhounder

Explorer
Thank you for sharing! When did you go? I wouldn't expect the current weather to be as nice as shown in your photos.

I think these pics were taken the end of May, If you go in the later summer months, people say they are driven away by the hordes of flying insects there. We feel the best times are to go are either before the snows in September, or after it warms up in May.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I really like 395 too. I have been to Travertine hot springs many times. There are several nice hot springs in the national forest west of Travertine. The Eastern Sierras are sooo relaxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998