California smog check for Light Duty Diesels

bonito

Back to California:

So whats the deal with the smog check? My registration is up in Nov and I heard the techs slam on the gas pedal to see for smoke.......and any mods you fail! I have a home made cold air intake?! Do I need to go to stock again for the test?
Does anyone with mods have their Diesel smoged yet? What was the outcome?
Or do I have to find a back yard garage pay some extra and all good?
I love Cali, moved here 3 years ago, but the fees and regs are worse than in Germany where I am from and trust me thouse Germans are anal (in a nice way)!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Welcome!

Welcome! This is a great site! Logon to www.cumminsforum.com and www.dieseltruckregister.com for Dodge diesel specific information. Intake should be fine. The problem is uninformed smog techs who aren't too savvy on the procedure. Register with those sites and somebody'll refer you to a competent tech in your area. Any power adders should come off. Sad to hear Cali's higher than Germany.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I, for one, am generally in favor of clean air initiatives. I grew up in the LA basin in the 70s, and I remember the bad old days of smog. While LA is still one of the worst in the nation, I think it's one of the only metropolitan areas to have actually gotten cleaner in the last decades.

I'm also not naive enough to think that air quality is going to get better if the burden goes to everybody except me.

Do I think that an hourly rate of $432 is excessive? Yes. Do I think CARB is inefficient? Yes. Do I find it a pain? Yes.

But I bought a 7,000 pound pollution-controlled vehicle in California. I knew it was illegal to change or modify the emissions equipment. I'll suck it up and deal with it.

After all, I'm in favor of the end result they're trying to achieve.

dragogt

Adventurer
Welcome! This is a great site! Logon to www.cumminsforum.com and www.dieseltruckregister.com for Dodge diesel specific information. Intake should be fine. The problem is uninformed smog techs who aren't too savvy on the procedure. Register with those sites and somebody'll refer you to a competent tech in your area. Any power adders should come off. Sad to hear Cali's higher than Germany.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/ and http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forum.php are also some good ones..

D

DEEZLPWR

i just dont understand the reasoning and thought behind making an engine so choked up on the exhaust and emission side that the engine runs less efficient. to make up for this lack of efficiency you must burn more fuel.. thus putting more emissions into the air.

e85 is a joke....
the amount of mileage per gallon on e85 is less than gas. so you have to fill up more on e85 to get the same equivalent mileage that gas has. so using more e85 just nullifies its reason.

diesel emission systems, regeneration cycles consume massive amounts of fuel, and you have to fill up more. so you end up putting the same if not more into the air.

our governments and big oil has buried all the technologies that can free us from oil just so they can keep lining their pockets.

until greed of man stops we will always be at the bottom of the bucket trying to pay our way out of the hole that they dug for us and placed us in.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's why you'll see increased usage of urea in the future. It enables the manufacturers to lessen the regen events and I guess turn down the egr a bit. The price of urea is predicted to drop quite a bit as I've read that only one company is producing it presently. I ordered my '07 5.9 in November '06,just a couple of months before the axe came down.

billy bee

Adventurer
When you burn Veggie oil you have NO pollutants... You have better MPGs, more power and your engine lasts longer.

I'm not so sure this is true. Using biofuels in my diesel vehicles has reduced MPGs and power. A gallon of veggie diesel has fewer BTUs than a gallon of dino diesel.

There is a valuable study on fuel additives, however, that supports your last statement: using veggie diesel s a fuel additive does reduce wear on the engine.

bb

bonito

I thought veggie fuel is better and give you more hp for your fuel and better for the engine too?
I am confused now?! :)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm so sick of California! (California!)......!

I'm ready to rent out my house and move to Arizona, where I can wear a gun!....and drive a diesel!...:costumed-smiley-007

D

DEEZLPWR

I'm not so sure this is true. Using biofuels in my diesel vehicles has reduced MPGs and power. A gallon of veggie diesel has fewer BTUs than a gallon of dino diesel.

There is a valuable study on fuel additives, however, that supports your last statement: using veggie diesel s a fuel additive does reduce wear on the engine.

bb

you are correct, biodiesel has less energy per volume than regular diesel. less mpg less power. its like 12% i think. could be off a bit though:coffee:

D

Deleted member 9101

Leave it to Ca to spend even more money when they are flat broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78