Callen Campers still in business?

Fish

Adventurer
You sure could. But the existing one has a decent location and the jigs for different sized beds.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The Callen website is back up and running. I sent another email. We'll see if I get a response this time...

Edit: Just checked my email. They got back to me, on a Sunday, in less than an hour.

Last edited:
Callen make TV. Not in a good way.

I was pretty surprised to see "Fish" had posted the KUSI link about Callen Campers already! (if you haven't viewed the link, maybe you should before reading further) So, I decided to register so I could post a reply. The guy Turko interviewed is me...and that's my story. Sad but true. It's been nearly 6 months since I ordered my camper. I was tired of wasting time going to check on it's progress, the constant lies/excuses and not having the camper I was promised for our weekend adventures. I've cancelled and/or cut short 3seperate extended weekend trips due to not having the camper I had been promised. Since getting time off from work is pretty tough for me, that really sucked! Contacting KUSI seemed like the first logical place to start. (thanks Turko!) I'm not going to type a bunch of insulting or degrading stuff...I think the video speaks for itself. I have been contacted by Callen Sr., Scott's father. He seems like a real stand up guy and want's nothing more than to correct this situation. I hope my next post is a more positive one.

This seems like a great site, look forward to chattin' with ya'all

bat

Explorer
I think once the father steps in things will get done. He has been trying to retire for years but his son just keeps on screwing things up.

Hey bat, thanks for the reply. You must be local, as you seem pretty familiar with what's going on out there. I have little doubt that "Sr" will try his best to make things right. He has mentioned discounting the cost of the camper...but not in an amount I feel is fair at this time. We'll see what happens I guess?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
What a sad story. Good on you Hillbilly for calling them out. Sorry you're having to deal with all this drama.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I would be very cautious with the end product - like you said in that video, it's got rust on the metal, and water stains on the wood. The workers may have been using it as a table for their drinks as it's been sitting for such a long time.

I hope the best for you, but definitely be cautious!

bat

Explorer
I agree with Adam Blaster, when you pick it up look it over really well. If you bought a rack with take it off asap and repaint it or it will bleed rust down the sides. I think the father does his best but buy the time he steps in the costumer is pretty ticked off. I would try and pick it up with the Dad being there it might make things better for you.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm hoping Callen Sr. plans to be there when I go to see the completed product. I have already told him we would be looking it over VERY closely, and if any defects were found...further actions will be taken. The guy from KUSI plans to do another story on this matter, and if Callen expects me to tell the public "all is well", then the camper needs to be free of defects. Yes, the camper will have the full length rack on top.(gotta haul the canoe somewhere:) I plan to remove the rack, finish welding on any brackets / tabs / antenna mounts etc. and send it out for powder-coating. Once that is complete, I was thinking of remounting it with stainless hardware to hopefully avoid the rust stains you spoke of. I have purchased a really nice awning from EZI AWN that will be mounted to the passenger side of the rack. Look forward to getting that mounted if everythings goes well.

Terrainist

Explorer
Wow. Thanks for being here to talk about it High Country. Happy the TV channel took the story as well. It's good to see (and apparent) what is going on there.

Fish

Adventurer
Hillbilly,
Welcome to the site! I don't usually watch KUSI, but was channel surfing. I scrolled by and happened to see Scott's face... "Whoa! What's this?" Glad you spoke out. I'd seriously like to have a sit down with Callen Sr. and maybe Scott and try to get them to straighten up. But... if you don't know him, Callen Sr. (Jim, I believe?) isn't exactly an easy guy to deal with either. He doesn't like to build things out of the ordinary. You sort of have to convince him to do extras. But he's a man of his word and will get the job done.

As you scroll through the posts, you'll find that you're not the only one with that issue from Callen. Some have been as blunt as to call out Scott for a substance abuse issue. I do know that Scott's uncle stepped in to do all the cabinetry in my truck. And that Callen Sr. was lurking around trying to keep Scott from screwing up to badly. That was a couple of years ago. I truly hope Scott gets his crap together and gets the company back on it's feet.

Give a shout via PM if you want to compare notes, trucks, etc. I'm just down the hill in Poway.

Fish!
Thanks for the reply & thanks for posting that link. People need to know what's going on. I really have my fingers crossed over this whole thing. I have been following this thread (while waiting for my camper) for quite some time and have read the problems had by others as well. I'm starting to wish I would have had this camper built a few years ago while Sr. was still in charge.

I agree, we otta' meet for a brew and compare stories! Just a zip code away. Let me know.

be out of town next 2 days
Thanks

Hey Guys
Got some new information, sounds promising. Michael Turko called and left a message on my cell tonight. He has been out to Callen and says my camper appears to be done! He said it looks pretty good. He was thinking they may have started from scratch and built a new camper? We'll see I guess. I'm pretty impressed that he is doing a follow-up on this story as he stated on TV! Anyways, I will give him a call tomorrow as he want's to be there when I go to pick it up. Might not be till the weekend due to my work schedule.
Will keep ya'll posted.
Hillbilly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle