Calling all Ford Rangers!

Haha, yeah I may have forgotten to mention that I am now living in Paraguay. My wife and I moved here about a month ago. This truck was imported here from Argentina. Sometime before I bought it.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Is there a lot of after market support for the rangers? Theres a 2003 near me im considering.

Surprisingly not as much as you'd expect. Considering how long the production run was and the number of rangers sold over the years. There are a lot of DIY projects for those trucks though.
Great little trucks anyway you slice it... I still miss mine

FordRangerForums used to be a decent site for the 2001-2011 generation.

Dake21

Adventurer
I don't expect the aftermarket to be like Jeeps or toys, but I was hoping for some SFA bolt on kit and front + rear locker so I could use it as a hunting vehicle.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Rear locker's no problem and the 8.8 is a solid foundation to build on. There's only the torsen LSD for the front IFS and the SFA swaps are pretty well DIY projects.
There are a number of Rangers out there that have been swapped so the information is available, but to my knowledge there's no bolt in SFA kit.

RedF

Adventurer
There is rather limited aftermarket for Rangers. Most things are available, but there is usually only one or two options.

It sure would be a nice option if there were even a semi bolt-on SFA conversion.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Here you go...
I've had several toyotas
over the years, To me these are better

Attachments

• PART_1456980980612_IMG_20160220_181102253.jpg
    PART_1456980980612_IMG_20160220_181102253.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 21

RedF

Adventurer
What does the inside of that camper look like? Is it practical for two adults? How is it in inclement weather?

thethePete

Explorer
Rear locker's no problem and the 8.8 is a solid foundation to build on. There's only the torsen LSD for the front IFS and the SFA swaps are pretty well DIY projects.
There are a number of Rangers out there that have been swapped so the information is available, but to my knowledge there's no bolt in SFA kit.

Negative. Rangers use a 28-spline 8.8, with the exception of the later model FX4s which used a 31-spline like the fullsize/explorers/mustangs/everything-ever. 28-spline lockers are a fortune. So much so that it's cheaper for me to swap my axle to a 31-spline Exploder axle than to buy a locker for my 28-spline. There are a few out there, but unless you have an FX4, I wouldn't say there're lots.

Lots of stuff out there for the Ranger, just gotta look around. It's certainly not as plentiful and "lego block" as a Jeep, but there's a lot that can be done and there's a reason they're all over the place in the south-west. Plus they're cheap to maintain and the driveline is stout.

Definitely no bolt-in SFA kits, but I can't say that I know of a lot of bolt in SFA swap kits for anything... If you need a SAS vehicle to get where you're hunting, you may be better finding a decent used fullsized and a quad.... Also, older Toyota Trucks are a great platform for a hunting truck.

No crazy need for a SAS anyway, IMO. A 2" level to gain some clearance is good. Spend the money on useful suspension travel.

My axle swap should be happening soon :) Gonna order parts this week, if things go well I might have a busy weekend ahead.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Negative. Rangers use a 28-spline 8.8, with the exception of the later model FX4s which used a 31-spline like the fullsize/explorers/mustangs/everything-ever. 28-spline lockers are a fortune. So much so that it's cheaper for me to swap my axle to a 31-spline Exploder axle than to buy a locker for my 28-spline. There are a few out there, but unless you have an FX4, I wouldn't say there're lots.

Lots of stuff out there for the Ranger, just gotta look around. It's certainly not as plentiful and "lego block" as a Jeep, but there's a lot that can be done and there's a reason they're all over the place in the south-west. Plus they're cheap to maintain and the driveline is stout.

Definitely no bolt-in SFA kits, but I can't say that I know of a lot of bolt in SFA swap kits for anything... If you need a SAS vehicle to get where you're hunting, you may be better finding a decent used fullsized and a quad.... Also, older Toyota Trucks are a great platform for a hunting truck.

No crazy need for a SAS anyway, IMO. A 2" level to gain some clearance is good. Spend the money on useful suspension travel.

My axle swap should be happening soon :) Gonna order parts this week, if things go well I might have a busy weekend ahead.

Negative to what? the 8.8 is an easy axle build and 31 spline axles aren't exactly like hens teeth. Not trying to be an *** but the Op is talking about an SFA swap, wouldn't think building out an 8.8 would be an obstacle.

There's nothing crazy about an SFA swap on a ranger..Most that build an SFA ranger are looking for axle articulation, stronger front diff, the ability to run a traction device in the front diff, possibly even looking to go over a 33" tire without stressing out cheap *** ford front end components.

I went with a fox coil over conversion to get rid of the archaic factory torsion bars. sticking with the factory torsion bars..now that's crazy talk

thethePete

Explorer
Try reading again. The Ranger did not come with a 31-spline axle. It came with a 28-spline axle. So in order to take advantage of the slew of cheap 8.8 parts, you have to do an axle swap. Not exactly cheap or easy unless you're mechanically inclined. The only model of Ranger to come with a 31-spline 8.8 is the FX4, which is a late model variant. He's asking about an 03.

A SFA swap is not a simple endevour either, if you're not mechanically inclined. And I say again, I have never seen a "bolt on" sold axle swap kit for any vehicle.

Anyone that does a solid front axle swap is looking for articulation. There's no other practical reason to do it.

This is an overland site, not Pirate4x4. Not everyone here is looking for a wheeling rig. Most aren't. Getting rid of perfectly capable independent front suspension to put an archaic log under the front of a truck that will see mostly road and FSR use... now *that* is crazy talk. Even a coilover conversion is a welding affair, not a simple modification to be done in someone's driveway, for the most part. He's looking for bolt on axle swaps, methinks welding on shock towers safely is a little out of depth.

I'll be perfectly content with my 10" of front travel with my "archaic" torsion bars and quality shocks.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Try reading again. The Ranger did not come with a 31-spline axle. It came with a 28-spline axle. So in order to take advantage of the slew of cheap 8.8 parts, you have to do an axle swap. Not exactly cheap or easy unless you're mechanically inclined. The only model of Ranger to come with a 31-spline 8.8 is the FX4, which is a late model variant. He's asking about an 03.

A SFA swap is not a simple endevour either, if you're not mechanically inclined. And I say again, I have never seen a "bolt on" sold axle swap kit for any vehicle.

Anyone that does a solid front axle swap is looking for articulation. There's no other practical reason to do it.

This is an overland site, not Pirate4x4. Not everyone here is looking for a wheeling rig. Most aren't. Getting rid of perfectly capable independent front suspension to put an archaic log under the front of a truck that will see mostly road and FSR use... now *that* is crazy talk. Even a coilover conversion is a welding affair, not a simple modification to be done in someone's driveway, for the most part. He's looking for bolt on axle swaps, methinks welding on shock towers safely is a little out of depth.

I'll be perfectly content with my 10" of front travel with my "archaic" torsion bars and quality shocks.

Actually 31 spline axles were available on 2002 and up fx4 rangers.. and an axle swap in an 8.8 rear is not exactly rocket science. If he's considering a SFA swap and is unfamiliar with the ranger after market why wouldn't he ask about a pre-fab kit? Articulation is a reason to swap out the junk factory IFS.. but it's certainly not the only reason.

Anyway it's all good. I have no quarrel and will relent to your all knowing knowledge on Rangers. Clearly I've never spent any time under or around them

Cheers

thethePete

Explorer
Wow... You even quoted the part where I specified the only model of Ranger to come with a 31 spline axle but argued the point anyway.

Yeah, and I didn't drive to a Ford dealership in my Ranger, to spend 8h under a Ranger doing maintenance work, and get back into my Ranger to drive home. Wouldn't know the first thing about them... :coffee:

I would never claim to know *everything* about any topic, but I have been around them for more than a day or two and I have access to all the lovely internet information you do, as well as a nice repository of factory supplied information.

It's ok, we're both allowed to know stuff. It doesn't make one of us any better than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998