Camp Baby Sleeping Setups

James86004

Expedition Leader
This very issue is why we got a heater. We tried cosleeping, but she always got perpendicular to us so she was kicking me and head buttting my wife. We tried putting her in her own bag or under her blanket, but she always wiggled out. We ended up buying the smallest tent trailer we could find and using the propane heater in it. I am amazed where we took that trailer.

When she turned 4 or so she started staying in her bag more consistently. That is about the time the heater broke, too, but at least we didn't need to rely on it any more.

articulate

Expedition Leader
McVick, that secure sleeper is exactly what I was thinking of....The little swaddling sleeping bag thing wouldn't work. She likes her arms above her head. Doesn't like to be swaddled anymore.
If the secure sleeper would work, I'm betting so would a "ring" of blankets making a little pod would do the trick too - simpler, easier; which you probably already have. That was our system for a while when our daughter was an infant (she is now 2, going to be 3 in July). With babies, it's easy to think that you've got to go buy something (I know that is), but in this case I bet you could make use of a few blankets that you already have.

My plan with the trailer was, when he's 6, Elise will be 3, the 2 of them can stay down there, no worries. But is 4 too early? I think a smoke detector would give me huge peace of mind. As would a door chime.
Do you think the little dude will be okay with sleeping by himself? If so, that's fantastic. There's always a caveat for weather or other conditions, but I'd treat that "special kid's place" like a reward from time to time. Evil parenting plot on my part. I can't wait until my wife and I have the tent all to ourselves again. :)

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Rob, I'll be impressed if your 4-yr old will sleep down below all by himself out there camping. I don't think I couild get my 4-yr old or my 3-yr old to do it.

I think that if anybody is going to get booted out of the RTT it is going to be you! Thats what I have planned for.

We have been fitting Amy and I along with the two kids into a Maggiolina Small! :Wow1:

One adult and one kid sleep next together and the two sets of us sleep head to toe. However that has turned into the two kids snuggle up to each side of mom and I wind up jack-knifed around the group wherever I can find space.

So my contingency plan untill we get a larger RTT is to put Amy and the kids up in the RTT and I'll use a ground bivy at the foot of the ladder. Our dog sleeps in the back of the truck when he goes with.

And If you can do it, I'd go with Mark's suggestion of the rolled up blanket/sheet/towels unless you really want a store bought item. The rub with things you buy for infants is that they become obsolete in just a few months!

Brian

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I could try blankets, but I liked the idea of some kind of firm foam wall to keep me off her. Just... I'm terrified of smothering her. I was actually going to see if maybe my mother and wife could whip something up. My mom can make anything (she made my wife's wedding dress!) and is teaching my wife. They'll be upholstering the inside of the kids area, have already made the matresses. The walls are plywood, but will be covered with a layer of carpet underpadding and then wrapped in marine naugahide. The roof will get some underpadding, and a nice cotton canvas. I'll also be building some cubby boxes in there, and they already have a light.

Yeah, I'll totally have to feel it out about Phil sleeping below, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did it. He gets so excited about that space, for him it's a playhouse, and I think he's still too young to be afraid of anything. He's a little bit special in a number of ways, and this is one of them. We'll see. I'll definitely have to plan some contigencies. Another option is... Wife and baby up top, and me and Phil down below. The space is 5 feet long, and I'm only 5'7" so... it can be done. I've been in there, and it's not so bad, just need to keep the knees bent, which I tend to do anyway.

I sure hope this trailer works out, or it will all have been for naught, and I'll really be wishing I'd just bought the off-road tent trailer!

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
wow that sound like a PITA McVick. I would do away with the RTT al together if I had that many people. Might be time to think about those fancy trailer tent deals with 2 levels to sleep in. upper for parent lower for kidos.
Personally I do not mind the a tent. while it may take you 2 min to pack the rtt but it only takes 20 min to do up the tent if that. all in all 20 min in the scheme of things is not that important. We are looking at that kidco tent type thing for our daughter. It will be in our tent but kind of be like her own personal space. She is a bear to sleep in the same room with so we think this will help. She only lasted in the bassinet for about a month after she was born and has slept in her room with the door closed since. At 15 months we converted her bed to the toddler bed and she loves it.

Box Rocket

9 months. Slept in carseats, pajamas, hooded winter sleeper, heavy fleece carseat cover, top blanket. This is what I woke up to after a cold night. Slept well and they look happy as clams to me. :victory:

_MG_4067.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Right on Adam, looks like a good time.

Well we bought the Kidco in green with the self inflating mattress. pretty sweet setup. I set it up in the living room for the last 2 weeks for our daughter to get used to playing in it and laying down in it. she loves it and combined with a fairly heavy cotton sleeping bag, she will be warm and comfy in pretty much any situation.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
9 months. Slept in carseats, pajamas, hooded winter sleeper, heavy fleece carseat cover, top blanket. This is what I woke up to after a cold night. Slept well and they look happy as clams to me. :victory:

_MG_4067.jpg

Yeah, I've seen that before and love that picture. It just won't work in the Maggiolina though. We might still do some tent camping, and then it would be fine. Actually, I bet I could set up the playpen in our huge tent.

bkrobbie

Observer
Two Little Monkeys: RTT or Big ***** Ground Tent?

Guys -

I can't believe how much valuable information are contained in these threads and have just read this one with interest.

Couple items, both on and off-topic (sorry for the partial tangent): this is kind of a cop-out but we have camped successfully with our then 16 month old and subsequently a 1.5 and 3.5 year old, and we really didn't do all that much in terms of getting extra gear for them.

I say cop-out because the kids more or less co-sleep with us at home, so we're pretty acclimated with regard to having them squirm around next to us.

So, we simply threw the 16 month old between the two of us, and a couple years later subesquently threw the two of them in between us again.

The baby slept in the same bag as mom, and our older daughter got her own bag which she absolutely loved so that problem has been "solved". This summer, we have a 2.5 and 4.5 year old, and they both have their own bags which they are so enthusiastic about that they often insist on sleeping in them at home.

My question, which is referred to a couple times here, is on the RTT vs. ground tent with the kids.

We have a 6 person Kelty that is simply one big room (which we got a hell of a deal on at Sierra Trading Post) and we have two inflatable "twin" mattresses that we put against one corner creating a king sized sleeping area and which leaves an "L" shaped corridor around it, helpful for gear storage and leaving plenty of space to get dressed/organized prior to unzipping the door (a big plus in crappy weather, or if bugs are particularly rampant).

Quick tent notes: I love the size of the Kelty, and it is well-made and endured ten days of nonstop rain in Acadia National Park. Easy to set up. I do wish the fly itself was larger so it was easier to get into and out of wet boots, jackets, etc before getting inside. It only has one door and I thought that would make me nuts but there is so much room in the tent it is not an issue as it turns out. It is only a 3 season tent as there are permanent mesh vents, so if you do colder stuff or true alpine camping you would be better off with a 4 season tent (you'd get cold in a hurry).

Now, the gearhead in me loves the idea (and the high quality) of the RTT's that I often read about on the boards, and I do like the idea of parking the truck and being ready to camp, kids up off the ground, in a heartbeat.

That said, I do wonder about the practicality of having the tent on the truck and having to collapse it every time we want to move (or just move the truck). We have tended to say in the same place for multiple days and done a lot of day trips, and it has been nice to have the tent set up on day one and populated with all the "base camp" gear over those stays while we roam about.

Am I right in thinking that we are likely better off staying with the ground tent?

As ever, very interested in your experience and opinions.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
We liked our family rooftent (2200), but yes you are packing up everytime truck moves.

Sawyer

Adventurer
Just got back from camping with my 20 mo old this past weekend. Last year we would carry the pack and play and put her in that (we sleep in a Big Agnes flying diamond 8). When we were using the pack-n-play, she slept in the big room with us and our dog and gear stayed in the small room. A month ago we decided to try it with out the pack-n-play. We took the pad from the pack-n-play and then put here in fleece, in side her sleep sack and then in one of my 35 degree down bags. we put her in the small room and put our bags around her to make a border. She really liked it. It was really cute when she woke up the next morning and would climb through with a big smale on her face to come see us.

So, now she gets the small room. This past weekend the temps were around 35 at night. Before the trip I bought her the smallest therma rest REI has and then threw a fleece lined ground blanket over that in case she scooted off her pad in her sleep. Then did the same sleeping arrangement... fleece, sleep sack, sleeping bag etc. I also doubled the extra bag length over like a blanket. I got up once around 2-3 to check on her and she was warm and comfy. She loves tent time!

Even during the day We can put her in the tent and zip her in for nap time... although she just ends up playing.... so we put her in the car and go wheeling and she falls instantly asleep......

I know the start of this thread was for sleeping in a magnolia... but thought my experience could help others....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Those carry cots look interesting.

At this point, I think we'll just end up co-sleeping with her for the time being. We were up at the cabin 2 weeks ago, and that's what ended up happening anyway. She didn't like sleeping in an unfamiliar place, so ended up waking up in the middle of the night and my wife had to go get her. She seems big and robust enough now that it won't be a problem. Heck, she's only 10 lbs smaller than our 4 year old boy.

It's amazing, when we returned home, she was so happy to be in her own crib, she was dancing.... as much as a 6 month old can dance...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan