Camper confusion

trouthead

Hi All,

I'm patiently waiting for a new Ram 1500 diesel truck to arrive, and when it does, I need to outfit it with some gear.

I'm looking to get either a camper or a trailer. My needs are that I want to "drop" the house wherever I camp, and use the vehicle separate of our living space to go fish or other excursions.

My question is....

Are there certain campers that are really quick and easy to remove from the truck bed? Ones that I could easily drop at the campsite?
Or.....do I just need a trailer.

Thanks for your help.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
From my reading - no experience - dropping the camper off is quick - getting lined up and reloading is a pain. Something to consider.?

bob91yj

Resident **************
Not only are they a PITA to drop/load in general, not all are built to hold a load on the floor without support.

rotti

Adventurer
Low payload capacities on the 1/2 ton Rams for slide in campers.....I'd look at trailers if it was me.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Is it just you or are there others? If its just yourself spend the minute to lower the top and drive the truck.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
If you don't mind pulling a trailer, you can buy a heck of a lot of trailer for less money than a truck camper. I have swayed back and forth on this but I'm going to go with a Truck Camper. If I need to get into a place where the camper won't fit, I'll remove it then but I wouldn't want to pull it off every time I set up camp. I think that would get old quick. And a 1/2 ton just really isn't enough truck unless you re-do the rear suspension and carry the lightest of light campers.
-jorge

DCGibbs

Observer
I'd check that owners manual of the truck, you're not going to get a very large camper, on that light of truck. However you'll be able to pull a 25' fully self-contained trailer without issue. Another option would be the "FourWheelCamper" fold down. When not in use, you simply folded it up, and lock her down. Just a thought. DCG

MNtraveler

Observer
Couple a thoughts.....

1. Many campgrounds do not allow you to off load a pickup camper and use it separate from the truck.

2. For quick load and off load, look at Stablelift. I don't have one, but am thinking about it.

MnTraveler.

escadventure

Adventurer
I def wouldn't buy with the intention of dismounting with regularity. You might be disappointed. However, your 1500 should definately be enough to handle it with some minor modifications to a well thought out package. Just about anything you do will likely require some changes to your truck. I use an F150 with my truck camper. Before doing so, I got some great ideas and advice from the experience of many folks on this forum.
With minor modifications, you almost wouldn't know my camper is on the truck, as the suspension is concerned. You feel the weight during braking and acceleration, but as you would with a trailer too. And, for me, the camper weight is easier to control than a trailer. There are many with Toyota Tacoma/Hilux using a truck camper- your full size Dodge can handle it. We all just have to be smart and responsible about what we're doing...

If a trailer is what will work for you, go for it. If you want a camper, go for it.

attachment.php

trouthead

I def wouldn't buy with the intention of dismounting with regularity. You might be disappointed. However, your 1500 should definately be enough to handle it with some minor modifications to a well thought out package. Just about anything you do will likely require some changes to your truck. I use an F150 with my truck camper. Before doing so, I got some great ideas and advice from the experience of many folks on this forum.
With minor modifications, you almost wouldn't know my camper is on the truck, as the suspension is concerned. You feel the weight during braking and acceleration, but as you would with a trailer too. And, for me, the camper weight is easier to control than a trailer. There are many with Toyota Tacoma/Hilux using a truck camper- your full size Dodge can handle it. We all just have to be smart and responsible about what we're doing...

If a trailer is what will work for you, go for it. If you want a camper, go for it.

attachment.php

Yep, I had the intention of dismounting with regularity. So it sounds like that's not such a great idea.
Thanks for the info.

subterran

Adventurer
Man, I take mine off and on all the time at a drop of the hat. Takes 5 minutes to take off, maybe 15 to put on if I loaf. Backing under it could not be easier. My truck is a V6 Tacoma, and with $1200.00 worth of suspension mods, I have a great riding and performing rig. There are few reasonable places I can't go in her, and camp there like a king. I have a trailer camper I built myself. Hardly use that one, for enjoying the TC. Trailers have limits, and pulling one off-road is a PITA. Gas mileage sucks with a trailer too.

Camping in it dismounted is probably not a good plan, but it takes so little time to back under it at days end, I could do it. I don't though.

Last edited:

MINO

Adventurer
I looked into a trailer and slide camper a few years ago.

Seeing that you're in CA like me, towing a trailer limits you to 55mph. I've got a lead foot, so that docked it a few points for me.
The only trailer we found that could meet our needs and reasonably contend with the conditions we'd put it through cost nearly $17,000 (adventure trailer) - Just a few grand away from our Phoenix camper.
I'm not a big fan of towing myself: more tires, more maintenance, more potential on/off-road failure points and issues.

So we got the slide camper.
Been nearly a year, haven't removed it once. When we need to, we can park at tent-only sites since we have a smaller footprint. Plus, we've been able to take it to 95% of the trails we were able to in our FJ80.

It's all about compromising your needs and budget.
Mine included brining a wife and cat on these trips. Happy wife, happy life.

2012 Toyota Tundra - Phoenix Camper (1100lbs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78