Camper Door on drivers side?

S2DM

Adventurer
Any reason our camper door can't be on the drivers side?

Clearly, most N. American Campsites are geared for exit/awnings on the other side, which could be fixed by backing in. But any other concerns?

It works with our build scheme much better and avoids relocating fuel tanks and mufflers, but want to make sure Im not missing anything?

-S

Iain_U1250

Explorer
If you want to park on the side of the road, you don't want to be walking out the camper door right into the traffic lane, especially if your steps fold out. Regulations here say you have to have the camper door on the left ( passenger side), because we drive on the right hand side of the road. This will cause us problems when we are overseas no doubt.

S2DM

Adventurer
It does seem passenger side cabin doors are much more common. Any concerns with moving my fuel tank to the drivers side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have a fuel tanks on both sides, it is just a matter of drilling more holes in the chassis for the supports. Are you keeping the standard tank, it seems to be a bit small in my opinion, we like a 1000km range at least and should have 1500km with our two tanks. I'm expecting around 20-25 litres per 100km on average, how did yours go on the trip back from picking it up?.

S2DM

Adventurer
We have the AV 275 liter. We never ran it bone dry, but we were able to exceed 1000km, and went as far as 1200 before filling and still had a fair bit in the bottom. I am estimating on standard conditions we have an emergency 1400km range. But that is also with a standard ambulance box and very little water and supplies. We'll be much heavier by the time we hit the road, so our fuel efficiency will likely drop off.

I'd like to move the tank and just keep the single tank plus a few jerrys in reserve.

-S

Iain_U1250

Explorer
That's a great size tank, any photos of it. Please can you take a few measurements, I would love to see how something like that would fit on mine. I currently have a 180lt and a 130l tank, but want to get up to 400lt in total. Initially I was going to run an LPG Dieselgas system, for extra power and economy, hence the smaller tank on the passenger side, there is space for a 80lt LPG gas tank. Now I'll just stick to diesel, so will get a new tank once I get the truck on the road and measure how much the camper body moves around.

antarctican

Observer
My trailer is from SA, and geared toward use on the driver's side, but here in North America as you said campsites are set up for the usage on the passenger side. It has become such a PITA for me, even in non-campsites, that I'm switching my trailer to be used on the right (passenger) side. Camping with a group? You're the odd man out and need more room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12