Camper Friendly Ski Resorts In Tahoe

davidv

Observer
This winter I’m planning on leaving the Bay Area Friday afternoon and heading for Lake Tahoe, popping the top on the Hallmark in a Ski Resort Parking lot, and enjoying fresh tracks Saturday morning as much as possible.

Does anyone have experience of which resorts are camper friendly and which are not?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I'm not totally sure.

But I have heard many different customers mention Kirkwood as one of the few that allow RV camping in the parking lot.

Sounded like there were a few groups of RV'ers / Skiers that go there.

Might be a good place to start your search.

Happy Skiing !

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Love to hear what you find in this regard.

I've slept in my disco in the carpark many times when i was back in grad school to ensure i was the first one on the slopes, sometimes its easier to setup just outside the ski resort and take the quick 5 minute drive there early in the morning

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Ah Ha !

From the Kirkwood website ...

RV PARKING:

Call the Season Pass Office at 209.258.7277 to purchase your winter 2010/11 RV Season Pass.

Kirkwood welcomes RV guests for overnight parking Sunday through Friday, non-holiday in the Middle Chair 7 Lot at Timber Creek, as well as select weekends - space permitting. Please note that RV's and over-sized camper trucks are only permitted in the Middle Chair 7 Lot at Timber Creek due to size restrictions in other parking lots at the resort. RV's and over-sized camper trucks seen parking in other resort lots will be asked to relocate due to this regulation.

Please refer back to this page of the website on Thursdays all season to check if the upcoming weekend is a "Green Light" weekend - look for the green RV symbol in the upper right section of this page. If the symbol is red, that means RV's will not be permitted that weekend.

Kirkwood Rules in the RV parking area will be strictly enforced:
No Campfires
No Dumping
Gas-Only Grilling

RV Parking is NOT permitted at Kirkwood during the summer months. For summer RV facilities in the Kirkwood vicinity, please look into options at Silver Lake or Caples Lake.

Recreation Vehicles "RVs" are defined by chassis type and body. When we expect to fill our parking and are not allowing Recreational Vehicle, we speaking of Class "A" and Class "C" RVs, and 5th wheels of any kind (towed behind another vehicle or hitch in back of the truck). Campers mounted on standard trucks, or van campers are allowed as long as they fit in a normal parking space.

FEES AND RESTRICTED DATES:

During select restricted dates, RV Parking is not available unless there is a special notice on this page. The fee for overnight parking is $25 per night. An RV season pass also is available for a flat fee of $199. Half (50%) of all parking fees and RV pass sales will be donated to the National Forest Foundation to be used for local conservation projects in the Eldorado National Forest. Kirkwood is a proud sponsor of the National Forest Foundation helping to create a positive impact on the local recreational experience for many years.

RV Season Passes are available for purchase by contacting our Season Pass office at 209.258.7254.

For questions about Kirkwood RV Parking please contact the Parking and Transportation office at 209.258.7477.

TCcruzn

Observer
Another camper told me he paid 149 this year for the RV pass, although it was 199 last year as listed on the website. No amenities, just permission. There were probably 10 or 12 truck campers at the 'wood this past weekend enjoying deep pow and really cold nights. Kirkwood enjoys the best snow in Tahoe, but it is sometimes hard to get in due to avalanche control.

Another camper told me he paid 149 this year for the RV pass, although it was 199 last year as listed on the website. No amenities, just permission. There were probably 10 or 12 truck campers at the 'wood this past weekend enjoying deep pow and really cold nights. Kirkwood enjoys the best snow in Tahoe, but it is sometimes hard to get in due to avalanche control.

All the better reason to camp out!!!

Navman

Adventurer
I've been awakened by the avy guns at Kwood a few times.:D

This was before the official RV lot and we just found a good spot to park the VW and fold down the bed.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
I've spent about 15 nights in the Kirkwood parking lot over the past few years. The furnace in my FWC was usually set a 65, which made for a very comfortable night. I usually left the bay area at 8pm on Friday, got there at midnight, went to bed at 1am, and moved the truck near chair 6 at 7:30am. Popped the top and made breakfast... It was especially nice to get there before a heavy snowfall, when 88 was closed in both directions in the morning and first chair was there for the taking.

Because I arrived late and moved the truck early, no one ever asked to see an RV pass, which I didn't have.

Anyone know of a Northshore camping spot? Squaw had a great deal on season passes last year, but I didn't consider it because of the camping restrictions.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Also wanted to mention that there are usually a handful of FWC's, sportsmobiles, syncros, and other pop-up campers in the lot, along with many large cabover campers. Most of the fellow campers are really friendly. You can't park along the perimeter because it interferes with the plowing activities.

I'm slowly rebuilding the interior of my camper and have a 9 month old at home, so I won't be camping out this year. Hope to see you up there next season!

-Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger