Camper install with 5th wheel hitch/rails

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
I'm thinking of using my 06 4x4 Dmax CC/SB for my desert rig. I use a 5th wheel trailer at work that I move on a daily basis, so I can't remove the rails. The wife and I really like the idea of a FWC. It's looks pretty easy to install, and setup looks like a breeze. So my question is this, has anyone installed a FWC using some kind of spacing setup for the bed and bed rails? Any down side to doing this other than the misalignment of the camper with the cab?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Lots of people end up with spacers under campers for lots of reasons. Many of them actually bolt the spacer right to the bottom of the camper so it's always there, but you could just as easily have it loose. You'd want to bridge the bed and tailgate so the back of the camper is still supported, assuming you put a longer camper in your shortbed. (I highly recommend an 8' camper for the added room it provides!)

You don't have to cover the whole floor, so even just some strips of 1x6 or something like that would work fine, so long as they left space for the hitch rails to sit in a hollow.

The alternative is to get ride of the 5th wheel rails in the bed and go to a B&W gooseneck hitch with a 5th wheel adapter. I think B&W calls theirs "Companion", but there are several other brands that work just as well, and leave no rails in the truck bed. I had rails welded to some 1/8" sheet steel with some angle iron ribs for gussets and a square post sticking out the bottom that plugged into my B&W for a while, but I gave it to one of my friends. It worked awesome, and allowed me to clip a standard rail Reese or Drawtite 5th wheel into my truck.

Good luck!
Chris

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
maybe post a picture of your bed/rails, you should some replies.
brian

I'm thinking of using my 06 4x4 Dmax CC/SB for my desert rig. I use a 5th wheel trailer at work that I move on a daily basis, so I can't remove the rails. The wife and I really like the idea of a FWC. It's looks pretty easy to install, and setup looks like a breeze. So my question is this, has anyone installed a FWC using some kind of spacing setup for the bed and bed rails? Any down side to doing this other than the misalignment of the camper with the cab?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior