Camper jack attachment durability

ReluctantTraveler

I've watched a ton of videos on installing truck camper jacks, and they nearly always seem to involve lag-bolting through the vertical corner frame.

Is there typically any sort of reinforcement used to improve the durability of that attachment? That feels like an awful lot of stress concentrated in just a few areas on the camper. Or are jacks getting ripped off just a common thing with truck campers?

ExpoMike

That is the common method of mounting. I just had to remove my camper (Northstar TC800) and it is stiff enough that when lowering one corner a couple inches, it will lift the diagonal corner jack off the ground. All seems very solid.

As for ripping them off, if you hit anything with them, you're going to bend or tear them off the camper. Typically they are hanging down 3' or more from the mounting point. That is a lot of leverage so if you hit a rock or curb with it, damage is going to happen. Personally, since I don't pull the camper off when we go on a trip, the jacks come off and stay home. Besides not worrying about damage, it will typically save 100+ lbs of weight I am not carrying.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve seen a couple on used trailers where the wood the lags are in has gone soft. It’s scary that that’s what’s holding them up in the air.

ReluctantTraveler

That is the common method of mounting. I just had to remove my camper (Northstar TC800) and it is stiff enough that when lowering one corner a couple inches, it will lift the diagonal corner jack off the ground. All seems very solid.

As for ripping them off, if you hit anything with them, you're going to bend or tear them off the camper. Typically they are hanging down 3' or more from the mounting point. That is a lot of leverage so if you hit a rock or curb with it, damage is going to happen. Personally, since I don't pull the camper off when we go on a trip, the jacks come off and stay home. Besides not worrying about damage, it will typically save 100+ lbs of weight I am not carrying.

Solid argument for removing them when traveling, I think! I guess I was more concerned with the off-truck situation, but sounds like I'm fretting about nothing.

ReluctantTraveler

I’ve seen a couple on used trailers where the wood the lags are in has gone soft. It’s scary that that’s what’s holding them up in the air.
Yea, the rotting out is what I'm concerned about, too, but... sounds to me like that's actually an indication of a bigger problem in the unit (like water intrusion)?

simple

Adventurer
If I was building my own camper, I fabricate some heavier duty reinforcement in the area where the jacks attach. Camper jacks are always a little sketchy in my opinion.

calameda

Going through miles of washboard in Death Valley several years ago my jacks dropped/lowered suddenly. Not quite all at once but can happen pretty rapidly if the vibrations are right. Subsequently found out this is not uncommon. So I always detach my jacks, which also narrows my trail profile by about 8 inches. Usually I don’t carry with me at all, mainly to save weight. If you feel you must carry externally, mount them upside down.

ReluctantTraveler

Going through miles of washboard in Death Valley several years ago my jacks dropped/lowered suddenly. Not quite all at once but can happen pretty rapidly if the vibrations are right. Subsequently found out this is not uncommon. So I always detach my jacks, which also narrows my trail profile by about 8 inches. Usually I don’t carry with me at all, mainly to save weight. If you feel you must carry externally, mount them upside down.
WOW, thanks for sharing that! When we finally get our truck camper, I will definitely always remove my jacks!

NOPEC

The method of reinforcement would depend on the design of the camper. I wouldn't go with industry standard of lag bolts into a 2" piece of pine or whatever they do.
But, when you hook a stump with the bottom of your jack while backing into that perfect stealth camping spot in the dark, a thru bolted piece of 2" clear fir or aluminium plate will have a greater tendancy to want to come through the corner of your camper where as the lag bolts in the pine pulling out will, in theory anyway, hopefully do only that. As well, the more ungiving torque on the jack, the more chance of pretzing it permanently.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Ours bolt into internal (interlocking) structure that includes a 1/4” steel plate. Incredible strong And thermal transfer free.
We recommend removing the jacks after the camper is loaded. It just needs this one silly driver in the parking spot next to you to bump into it and create a lot of damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior