Camper jack attachment durability

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
When I built my camper, my friend and I worked on this pretty extensively. Needed to be strong and durable. I managed to pick up a decent set of steel camper corner attachments for the legs long with a rebuilt set of hydraulic legs for a fair price. The corner brackets are attached into the steel corners. I drilled and tapped 5 bolts directly into the steel uprights. Also, the steel in each corner is reinforced with a square plate to assist in rigidity and overall strength for each corner.

I can lift the camper with one corner and it hardly racks at all. Corner Jack security was top of mind for all the reasons you see out there and all the horror stories of corners failing.

1x1" steel corners - thick wall tubing plus a 1x1' steel plate

20180513_141845.jpg

Ties all the corners in together (squares because easy to cut)

20180513_141833.jpg

20180513_141826.jpg
Brackets are pretty standard used old camper brackets. Worked out great, but extra holes I didn't use. Super solidly attached and bedded in with a bunch of Sika.

20230826_124559.jpg

Lifting this thing still freaks me out every time. lol

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Why did manufacturers go away from the older tripod jack setup (Rieco-Titan, et.al)?
They lifted from under the side wall frame vs. cantilevered off a vertical frame member.

Alloy

I think the lags are where the water is getting in?

WOW, thanks for sharing that! When we finally get our truck camper, I will definitely always remove my jacks!

By the time head of the screws/lags show rust/corrosion the wood has already been rotting for 2-3 years.

I'll remove the jacks and replaced the factory caulking with Sika 715. It's a STP (silane terminated polymer = UV protection + amazing stretch) used on EPMD roofs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan