Camper Shell Roof Racks

Raul B

Explorer
im finally done!!!

man this thing took forever to make but i think it came out great. let me know what you guys think.
i have a 50" lightbar on the front and a ironman canopy on the rear. im going to mount an axe and shovel on either side of the rack.
20140315_161723_zps02db0322.jpg

20140315_161713_zpsb480b459.jpg

20140315_161708_zpsd41f1cdf.jpg

20140315_161656_zps9320d34d.jpg

20140315_161651_zpsd9bb5299.jpg

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
P1020798.jpg

Mine is a modified KargoMaster. Originally it was for a high roof shell, but I lowered it 3" and sleeved/narrowed it 2", added a few 1" sq tube supports and expanded metal over the shell. It mounts to the top of the bed with flat plates that I cut/welded into 2x3" 1/4" angle that goes the length of the bed rails and across the front. It'll hold pretty much whatever you want to put on it. Also has cheapo halogen lights on L/R/Rear. Have the solar panel mount about half done, and still have to fab light bar for front.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
View attachment 217662

Mine is a modified KargoMaster. Originally it was for a high roof shell, but I lowered it 3" and sleeved/narrowed it 2", added a few 1" sq tube supports and expanded metal over the shell. It mounts to the top of the bed with flat plates that I cut/welded into 2x3" 1/4" angle that goes the length of the bed rails and across the front. It'll hold pretty much whatever you want to put on it. Also has cheapo halogen lights on L/R/Rear. Have the solar panel mount about half done, and still have to fab light bar for front.

That rack looks pretty much exactly like what I want to do. Looks good!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
That rack looks pretty much exactly like what I want to do. Looks good!

Thank you. And fwiw, if you want to go that route, HarborFreight has a similar rack to the KargoMaster, for about 1/3 the price. And you can use a 25% off coupon from most major car magazine ads to get it very cheaply.
REF: http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-capacity-full-size-truck-rack-98511.html

Edit to add: Just noticed your screen name. I was big in paintball a few years ago, hence my screen name here too lol

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Thank you. And fwiw, if you want to go that route, HarborFreight has a similar rack to the KargoMaster, for about 1/3 the price. And you can use a 25% off coupon from most major car magazine ads to get it very cheaply.
REF: http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-capacity-full-size-truck-rack-98511.html

Edit to add: Just noticed your screen name. I was big in paintball a few years ago, hence my screen name here too lol

Thanks for the heads up! :) any idea if it'll possibly work with a shell over the bed? We have an HF store here in ABQ so I might take a look at it.

Lol and I wondered about your screen name. I haven't played in a while, but did a few big games like OK dday.

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
Not sure, but it should be easy enough to extend with a bit of extra metal if needed.

I owned Underground Mod Shop for a few years and set up at DDay for 4-5 years. Still have a ton of friends in paintball, but I don't get to play all that much anymore.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Not sure, but it should be easy enough to extend with a bit of extra metal if needed.

I owned Underground Mod Shop for a few years and set up at DDay for 4-5 years. Still have a ton of friends in paintball, but I don't get to play all that much anymore.

That's why your name looks familiar. I was heavily into paintball for a long while, including serving as one of JackRocks officers at one point. I was pretty heavy into Milsim before I got into pump and stock play

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

zscott

Adventurer
Turned out nicely! Figured I would throw mine into the mix here as there are a lot of good ideas in this thread.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Anyone have a long term report on a rack mounted directly to the top of a camper shell. One of my load bars broke and they're kinda expensive. I'm leaning heavily towards just drilling the shell and mounting my rack directly.

D45

Explorer
Buy them used on Ebay

my cap dealer wanted like $250 for the roof rack cross bars and towers

My cap already had the long rack channels installed

I bought some nice Yakima bars and towers used on Ebay for $60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman