Camper shell security

dustboy

Explorer
I need to improve the security of my camper shell. As it is now, I can pick the rear window lock with my pocket knife.

My security concern is mainly for the use as a work truck. I'm pretty sensible about not leaving tools visible inside, but there will be occasions where I have no other choice. The truck does have an alarm with motion sensor. The shell is a SnugTop.

As time allows, I intend to add security in several stages.

Immediate:

-solve the issue with the rear window lock.

Future:

-steel flat bar over the inside of the windows.

-rear swing-out to prevent opening of the tailgate and rear window.

Any more ideas?

As she sits now:
IMG_2541.JPG

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
no help but....

My wife needed something from the back of my truck but didn't have the keys, turns out, just about any key that fit in the lock, unlocked the rear of my cap : 0

That is very bad for the stuff I carry in there! I like the idea of bars.... even plastic pvc painted black might deter someone from breaking the glass.

The rear lift is tougher, must people add a clasp and padlock, but that looks like s*&t so the lockable tire swing out is a better idea...

Good luck!

adrenaline503

Explorer
Can you weld? Weld a frame out of steel square tube then add some sort of metal grating. Bolt it on with double nylock nuts and be done with it.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Dustboy,

A few more ideas... (that I've personally installed).

-"Pop and Lock" tailgate lock. "popandlock.net"

-"limo tint" your canopy windows.

-Also, check out "Tuffy" security products. I've never installed any of thier locking trunks inside a canopy, but I can vouch for thier locking security consoles. They are easy to install and bombproof. "tuffyproducts.com"

If a thief "really" wants in they're gettin' in. You're merely deterring them to an easier target.

Good luck!

WS

dustboy

Explorer
I have a sleeping platform that has a lot of storage inside for smaller items, and it doesn't look like a toolbox.

I don't want to feel like I'm in a cage when I'm sleeping in there..I think running a single piece of 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar horizontally over each window will prevent someone from climbing in or pulling out any larger items. If they're more determined than that, they'll get it anyway.

Mostly I want to improve the rear lift window, without putting too much ugly on the outside. IMO heavy hardware screams "valuable stuff inside!"

Last edited:

rynosurf

Adventurer
Just leave an angry pitbull in the back and dont feed it!:D
X2 on the pop lock. I have one for my truck, installs in minutes. You can also flip the inside handle of the Snug Top upside down so it is behind the tailgate when locked but you would still need to re-key the lock. I have a Snug Top too, my key opens every Snug-top that I have tried it on.

robert

Expedition Leader
Most side sliding windows are pretty easy to pop open too. I've been thinking about adding a set of "jailbars" to mine- similar to the ones on older VW buses.

For the rear, I have a pop and lock tailgate lock but I'm still deciding what to do about the hatch. I carry tools in mine too and auto break-in theft is pretty common where I live- the cops don't do much investigating either. I've thought about getting one of Jobox's smaller chests but that cuts into my sleeping area. I've seen where a fellow modified his lock so that instead of just moving the two rods on the sides, it also had a piece that flipped down over his tailgate so he had three points of contact.

If they really want in though, they'll just tear the truck up. I have no problem whatsoever with the public hanging of thieves and would in fact be happy to throw the lever on a few I've had steal from me (I can only hope that the guy who stole a knife my father had given me ended up dead in a ditch somewhere). :ar15:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How big are the tools? Might be easier to just get a sturdy box and bolt it to the floor of the truck, then put a heavy duty lock on the box. Figure a way to hide the box a bit (maybe with a sleeping platform or something similar) and you have 2 layers of security with no way that prying eyes could see what was in your truck.

Also helps to keep your truck dirty, I think. People assume a dirty vehicle doesn't have anything valuable in it.

At least that's what I told myself when I had my Tacoma! :D

dustboy

Explorer
Here's what I came up with:

The solution turned out to be pretty quick and dirty, as some may have noticed another thread I started, "dustboy wants to build a camper".

The main idea is to make the crook move on to the next car where the guy left a laptop on the seat. Yes, someone could defeat any of these by breaking glass or prying the bars off, but by then they've made a lot of noise and my alarm is going off.

The main component is this thing, which I call the "ugly stick", as in that's what you get beat with if you try to break into my truck. The vertical 1" square tube prevents the lift window from opening far enough to open the tailgate.
IMG_0471.JPG

The lock tab:
IMG_0472.JPG

The bars over the side windows, 1/4" x 3/4" flat bar. The idea here is to keep someone from climbing in, and they won't be able to pull out anything big:
IMG_0473.JPG

Detail of the lock, the part the lock sets into is just a piece of flat bar, with two pieces of 1.5" angle to make a hook. Same concept on the opposite side, where the "T" end of the ugly stick hooks into the angle iron.
IMG_0474.jpg

Overview of the rear setup:
IMG_0475.JPG

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
nice addition!! :victory:

I was thinking about something like this for the side windows on my topper. Only was thinking about doing it on the inside. Heading south of the border soon so security was something I wanted to get as much as possible. Ran out of time though so no bars for me before the trip. I can lock all my storage in the back of the truck.

That should keep people out of your topper....

dustboy

Explorer
Yeah, I thought about putting the bars on the inside, that would be cleaner looking, and it would help keep your gear from damaging the screens or breaking the glass.

But in the end the bar got in the way of the release handle for the sliding glass, and I think the external bars are a better visual deterrent--I want the crackhead to notice them before breaking the glass!

vhram

Observer
I had a shell on my old work truck that was alarmed, I made "security screens made out of welded expanded metal that were mounted on the inside. The tailgate was pined on the inside and a screen in front of the flip up back window. If someone really wanted to they could still get in , but by then I would be able to "meet and greet ":gunt:. I just wanted to prevent the smash and grab people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan