camper trailer from Oz

jeelan

hi guys

i've been a long time lurker on this forum but an infrequent poster. I've been looking at various designs for my camper trailer over the course of the past 12 months and hv made various attempts at getting something "custom made" from ground up to my requirements, but in the end, late last year, i met up with a local camper trailer manufacturer in Perth and placed an order for somewhat customised setup....

the style of campers that we use tends to differ a fair bit from the ones that are prominent on this site - roof top tents on trailers are not that common here at all - the preference being larger 9ft to 15ft tents that fold out from the trailer. i guess seeing as we dont hv any dangerous animals etc ie bears - the design philosophy behind camper units is a little different in Oz compared to the US...

well - my camper setup is based around a 7'x4' trailer that is custom made to take a camper top. The specs on my camper is as follows

7x4 trailer
2m extended drawbar (100 x 50 x 3mm RHS)
50 x 50mm RHS ladder frame chassis
9 leaf double eye springs
1.5t rated 50mm square axle
18" rims (matched to my tow rig) with hydraulic brakes.
2 x 70L water tanks - mounted front and rear of axle.
tailgate mounted kitchen.
Hyland offroad hitch.

i'll load up some pics and continue my commentary based on the pics

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

The trailer carries 2 Jerry cans for fuel and 2 x 4.5kg gas bottles.

The water taps and filler caps are visible on the side. front tap/filler is for the front mounted tank and rear tank is serviced by the filler cap rear of the wheel arch. Rear tank also has a tap in the kitchen..

This way i can keep water independent ie grey/river water for showering etc and potable water in another tank

IMG_0569.jpg

There is a large toolbox mounted on the drawbar. The mesh around the spare wheel is a stone guard to keep deflect stones from the vehicles rear tyres.

The following is the tent setup. It's a 9ft tent which takes us about 5 mins to setup from removing the grey tonneau cover to how you see it...

Bed is already made inside and ready to sleep in..

here's a few pics showing external setup

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

tent is made from 15oz canvas which has been waterproofed. The camper top itself weighs around 150kgs (the bulk of this being the canvas). The full setup as it is (without water or gear) weighs around 670kgs...

the rear of the trailer effectively becomes the living area and the tailgate opens up to become the kitchen... we still need to setup the storage compartment. Will be putting drawers in there for the cutlery etc...

IMG_0565.jpg

the hitch is a Hyland hitch - it's an offroad hitch rated to 3500kgs. the mechanism on top is the fluid reservoir for the hydraulic brakes and the blue sheath protects a metal tube that transfers the fluid to the brakes...

i've had the hitch recessed between the drawbars so it will clear my rig's rear door - otherwise mounting on TOP of the drawbar is also quite common for some vehicles...

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

i think i've hit the image limit so i'll continue in another post :)

cheers
Jeelan

jeelan

hey mate

we've got a couple of different types of offroad hitches. They are all around AUD$300-$400 depending on whether you want a 2500kg rated one or a 3500kg rated one...

The reason i chose mine is that most of the other hitches are a polyblock with a pin style setup and if you're camping on the beach etc - it can a ********** to centre the holes to insert the pin, whereas this hitch goes on a towball which is much easier to lock on etc...

i guess it comes down to personal preference as to what hitch is preferred...

cheers
Jeelan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears