Camper Vans with 4 Real Seats and Sleeps 4

PHeller

Adventurer
We're looking for a small motorhome that can comfortably sleep 4, even if it means giving up other luxuries, but one of the challenges we have is that we're just not comfortable with our kids riding around in the back of paper thin RV box. It'd be nice to have 4 real seats.

The challenge is that there are virtually no crew cab motorhomes on the market outside of very expensive integrated models from Earthroamer, GXV, etc.

Outside of retail motorhomes that offer 2nd row seating, has anyone seen conversions of Sprinters or similar that allowed for 4 to sleep inside? We'd really like a toilet closet. No indoor shower necessary, but we want a toilet that one person can use while others are in the vehicle.

86scotty

Cynic
Very hard to find unless you have it custom built. You might find an older Sportsmobile or something similar but 4 real seats and beds for 4 in a van is a very tall order.

rcintx

Adventurer
Ive seen a couple of the van builders manage to make it work. Van Do It, Storyteller, etc. We have looked at motor homes and decided the same thing. Seatbelts in a cardboard dinette just don’t appear to be the safest option in a collision.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
1. ⬇️ ModVans…ford awd, pop up roof, sleeps and sits 4, has permanently mounted potti (a very nice one if fsbo on the south east coast for @$95k) Theres a beautiful dark blue one fsbo in the SF bay area, @$110k

2. Used club or crew cab Tiger, seats and sleeps four, 4wd, full wet bath. This is the maybe best model for you, for having a private toiletIMG_2682.jpeg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The common theme here is... vans. That was where we originally landed for our family of three. The original "Westy" layout on a pop-top van persists for a reason - 2+2 sitting and sleeping. We built a hybrid Westy/Weekender layout with a GTRV pop-top on a late-model Astro van, then converted the van from AWD to 4x4. I was eyeballing similar vans on "fullsize" vans - GTRV, Pleasure Way (Traverse model), etc., but that was when COVID pricing was in effect and the street prices were crazy.

So, as our kiddo got bigger, and I got tired of worrying about the light-duty 4x4 on our van, we shifted to a flatbed truck with a camper on the back. We're losing a lot of space efficiency vs. the van, but we have regular seats in an extended cab truck (our driveway is too short for a full "Quad/Crew cab"). Even with only the extended cab we've got plenty enough room on the road, and factory 4WD. The camper on the back is a big step up in internal space, but it also is WAY bigger going down the road. That's the tradeoff we made, though.

iggi

Ian
It doesn't sound like you're looking to do a custom build but I'll throw this out there. Some folks choose retired ambulances to convert because of the high safety standards they are built to.
They also come with existing rear seats and seat belts. Not that you'd want to use the original seats probably but mounting Freedman seats or equivalant would be possible.

@Abitibi has built a couple campers from retired ambulances, both of which were designed to seat and sleep a family of 4.

Here's a video of his most recent (it's for sale). Attached a pic from the interior of his first build as it was the one that inspired me and my (slowly progressing) build. At the moment I don't remember what he used for the rear seats but he details it all in his build thread.

Attachments

• ambunest_inside1.jpg
    ambunest_inside1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

dhally

Hammerhead
You can get automotive seats and belts but probably not airbags. What you won't get is rollover protection or protection from all the camping equipment flying around in a crash.

Modern cars are very survivable, because the entire interior and the unibody itself is designed to protect the humans. Vans are designed to carry cargo.

HoodRiverLaytons

We had similar criteria, and for a while our Vanagon Westfalia did the trick. But it's an old platform that's a bit too rough and small for long term travel.
2006-airstream-dodge-sprinter-westfalia-brochure.jpg
We ended up buying an older 2005 Sprinter Westfalia - the full name is Dodge Sprinter Westfalia by Airstream. Quite a mouthful, but it seats 4 (5 technically), sleeps 4, and has a real bathroom - and it parks in a normal-sized parking space.
We have spent a fair bit modifying the systems to bring it up to modern standards (i.e., full lithium and Victron electrical kit)., but we still came in for less than a used Revel (and less than half a new one!).
IMG_5440.jpeg

bnkrpt

The Axis Sportwagon has caught my attention for it's ability to seat and sleep 4. I don't really want/need all the RV features so I'm been lusting over this thing badly. I look at it as a better, more comfortable way to travel, and can be used as essentially a hard sided tent if we really do WANT to camp.

We recently spent a week exploring the Black Hills and Badlands and it would've been really nice to have our gear more organized, have the ability to stop and eat inside the vehicle, and just have more space. The Axis Sportwagon layout would solve that for our needs.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Maybe see if total compostites has info on this build:

32104749_10156429339386974_5141727846527401984_o.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
You can get automotive seats and belts but probably not airbags. What you won't get is rollover protection or protection from all the camping equipment flying around in a crash.

Modern cars are very survivable, because the entire interior and the unibody itself is designed to protect the humans. Vans are designed to carry cargo.
For roll over protection and build quality, a type three ambulance will be hard to beat. They are designed like tanks.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This one seats 6 and sleeps 5, and has enough of a front end to perhaps give you some better crash protection. On the downside of comparisons, they don’t make these any more and these get very disappointing gas mileage. But on the upside, they basically are easy to convert to 4x4.

IMG_1505.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman