Camping Equipment for Moab?

Doc McCoy

Untitled Offroad
My first post and it might be ridiculously simple. I'm travelling to Moab for the first time and I have some basic camping gear but I'm not sure if it will be sufficient. What is the bare minimum for camping gear in Moab mid April?

For basic gear I currently have a 2 person tent, a sleeping bag (10 degree Celsius ?) and a stretcher. I would like to keep things quick and light if possible.

Any suggestions?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Welcome :)

You'll be fine. April warms up real nice. Are you backcountry camping or staying near town/campgrounds?

The nights can easily be in the 30s. A 10 degree Celsius bag is 50 F. I don't like to sleep cold. I'd take a warmer bag. You'll want a Thermarest pad too.

motochain

Wanderer
The nights can easily be in the 30s. A 10 degree Celsius bag is 50 F. I don't like to sleep cold. I'd take a warmer bag. You'll want a Thermarest pad too.

I agree! You'll definitely want a warmer bag. It really depends where you're camping also. I've had some really frigid nights in April up around the base of the La Sals just outside of town.

.....and after having a Thermarest pad, I can't see sleeping without one. :coffeedrink:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You'll also want lots of water. Moab is dry dry dry. Take a piece of white bread out of the bag, all soft and moist. 10 minutes later it will be harder than toast, that's how dry it is. Figure 2 gallons per person per day there. Sounds like a lot, it is, but you'll be grateful. x2 on chilly nights. Most camp sites there allow fires I think, so you should be prepared for that as well.

freeze

Adventurer
hehe... hey Doc!

Few things:

-15/-20 bag. Go down filled and breathable. Some synthetics are ok, the main issues is the breathability of the nylon or fabric that is used. CoastMountain sometimes has sales on bags. They had a -20 Kelty bag for $100! I use a -30 bag down bag which works great because it breaths really well. Get a mummy so your head can stay warm unless you can sleep with a toque on.

- MEC blow up pad rated for cold weather (I think it's red) They have two sizes.. long/short. I use the short :D and it packs small.

- Don't laugh but a down pillow that packs small (MEC has one I think)

- Dry bags (MEC) you can get ones large enough to put your sleeping bag, tent and mattress. Keeps it all dry even if it's in the elements.

Forecast for that area is supposed to be 8-12 degrees. The 14 trend is calling for highs of 20 and lows of 3. Sleeping on rock can get cold very quick as it sucks the heat right out of you.

I'll bring the Arctic Cat in case you get too chilly.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You definitely need a better bag. Sounds like you're a Canadian, and I think we tend to assume it's warm down there, but it's not always. My parents took a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years back and brought summer weight sleeping bags, and they froze.

motochain

Wanderer
You definitely need a better bag. Sounds like you're a Canadian, and I think we tend to assume it's warm down there, but it's not always. My parents took a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years back and brought summer weight sleeping bags, and they froze.

Yeah. I think a lot of people don't realize what the elevation is many places they visit. Especially in Arizona. Arizona is supposed to be hot right? Well I live in AZ and I'm @ 7000'.

Moab can be the same way. There is still snow that can be found within 20 miles of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998