Camping Hammocks

blue94yj

Observer
Some of my friends and I have been looking at camping hammocks. They appears to be a good idea here in the east where there are lots of trees. Non of use have actually used one before so I was hoping I could get some comments from people that have.

What are some of the Pros and Cons?

What are brands that you have used and liked or disliked?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charlie

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Not much help here, but I'll share what I know...

First off, I assume you are talking about 'jungle' hammocks, or 'tent' hammocks, not just a regular hammock, right?

I used to have an official-issue GI jungle hammock. I only slept in it one night, and slept OK. It was really nice to string it up between two trees and not have to worry about finding a flat spot and trying to get it smoothed out...

I also climbed into a Hennesey hammock once that they had set up at REI. The floor-slit-for-a-door would definitely take some getting used to. I don't know how you would accomplish it if you were using a sleeping bag. Also, (and maybe it was just the model I was looking at) it didn't have any zippers, so you couldn't open it up. It had lots of mesh, but being inside it on a mild day in Colorado Springs, it started to get pretty stuffy.

But how 'bout if I just shut up and point you to someone who has a lot more experience with them than I?

Sgt. Rock's Hammock Camping 101.

Addited: Oh, and since I was looking to use one in Colorado, I was particularly concerned with staying warm. As you may know your sleeping bag compresses under your weight and you loose 94.7% of the insulation value. In a traditional hammock it also compresses the sides of the sleeping bag, so you loose insulation there, as well. So now on the bottom and sides you have practically no insulation, and the wind is whistling around you...

Somewhere on the Sgt. Rock site that I linked in he talks about making a sleeping pad with 'wings' to help insulate the sides as well as the bottom.

Oh, and did you know that 94.7% of the statistics you see online are made up on the spot?

Last edited:

blue94yj

Observer
Thanks for the link looks like some good information.

I'm not really planning to use it in cold weather so that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Charlie

Blair G

Adventurer
blue94yj said:
Thanks for the link looks like some good information.

I'm not really planning to use it in cold weather so that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Charlie

I have a Hennesey that I use at work. Bought a big asymmetrical one and have loved it. I don't back pack with it so weight was not an issue. A great nights sleep over any ground combined with a 50 degree sleeping bag. The rain fly is nice to have as well. The only real issue is the fact that you have no insulation underneath. They have fixes for that now however.

Blair

Casper

Adventurer
:smiley_drive: I have been using a Crazy Crib hammock for the last several years (well, at least until I got my AT Chaser last summer). I have to say I loved it. You can put a thermarest in it and it is inclosed to keep the bugs out. Had a bear walk under it once but thats anouther story. I still keep it in the trailer incase I need it. As far as beeing cold, I have never had a problem with that, but then I usually sllep all winter long with my window open (in Truckee Ca the normal night time temp is below 15 dg)
Anyway, hope that helps. Here is a link to the one I had. http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=33

Casper

Gonzzo

Observer
I hardly ever post but when i do i try to help:

I have had experience with the Hennessey backpacker asym and the clark jungle hammock north America model.

I like both and they both have a place in my gear closet.

The Hennessey is a bit easier to set up and lighter as well as a smaller package to carry. However, it is more time consuming to get in and out of, there is room for gear inside but you'll be knocking it around a bit. Cold weather camping is possible if you use a closed cell foam mat or get the cold weather kit from Hennessey. Being lighter and smaller in bulk it sees overnight and weekend trips summer and early fall. Construction is top notch and has taken some abuse without a scar.

Having said that about the Hennessey, lets talk about the Clark jungle hammock.

The clark takes a bit of finesse to set up and it is a few .oz heavier and bulkier (packed for hiking)than the Hennessey, but IMHO it is a YEAR ROUND SHELTER. I did say you could use a closed cell foam pad with the hennessey or even buy the cold weather kit, but, if you just throw some gear in the bottom pockets in the clark, and possibly a thin cell pad you can camp down to the teens in the clark, i have. The clark also has access from both sides(read: you can lean out one side and cook while you are setting the hook on a stream trout out the other side), a built in weather shield(read: You are half asleep, you messed up the rainfly setup and it just started blowing and pouring, just reach down and zip in a wind proof, water resistant, security blanket and tadah! back to sleep), lounge chair setup is a breeze(read: unzip either side and plop yer butt down). The clark also sets up as a tent easily(to be fair the hennessey does this too), two hiking poles some pegs and thats it you have a one+ person (2 if you really had to) shelter that is easily accessible from both sides(you have to wiggle into the hennessey).

Gotta run for now, but ill try to get back to this post and elaborate further on both models.

P.S.
I highly recommend the sgt. Rock site(above post somewhere), it is a good read with lots of pictures and more details.

www.junglehammock.com is the site for the clark hammocks.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is the site for the hennessey line of hammocks.

I hope this helps for now and good luck.

Gonzzo.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I completely agree with Gonzo...
almost word for word the same since I also use both hammocks..
Yeah the clark is more money but when you consider you don't have to kit it out with more stuff for cold temps and the ease is can be used as a chair around camp...worth it.
Being an amputee I like the Hennessy as I can get in and out with less tipping but the Clark is still the better model and I prefer it.

Hammocks are a must even if it is just a simple model for camp naps...very nice.

Oh and I have a terrible back and yet I always sleep great in a hammock

The only downside I have found is that if you have kids then you miss out on the nightime in the tent card games/story time that I enjoy...but as my boys get older I hope to get them into hammocks also and we can just swing and chat.

Great thread by the way

blue94yj

Observer
Thanks for all the great responses. It looks like a hammock with be in my future now it's just a matter of which one.

Has anyone used this system from Eagles Nest Outfitters:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/onelink-sleep-system.html

The reason I'm looking at this system over some of the others is it seems it would be an advantage to be able to use what components from the system you need and not have the bulk of some of the other's. It also seem like it would give me the opportunity to setup the hammock in my back yard for some relaxing with out all the rain flies and bug nets.

Thanks,
Charlie

Tmcgahe2

I've been using a Hennessey Hammock in the outdoors for over 2 years now. I kayak a lot, so I spend a good bit of my time sleeping in the outdoors. Having slept in tents for as long as I can remember, I will never sleep in one again. Hammocks are that much more comfortable. Unlike sleeping on a thin mat in a tent, hammocks allow you to move around and not develop a lot of pressure on your body. You can sleep in any position you want in a hammock and its still comfortable.
Hammocks also pack a lot tighter, take up less space and in a kayak thats important.
I use a Hennessey Hammock ASym with a Hex rain fly. The ASym rain fly works fine in light showers, but after spending a few nights in the woods in high winds and rain, rain can come in under the small ASym rain fly so I replaced it for a larger one. Occasionally Hennessey will have a combo deal and throw in the larger rain fly for free.
Hennessey's have a built in bug screen too which is very important for people living in the south. It's saved my ass several times from being eaten alive by our bird sized mosquitoes.
If you do decide on a Hennessey I strongly suggest getting a set of Snake Skins. That make packing, storage and setting up the hammock a breeze.
There is no insulation on the bottom of the hammock so if you plan to use it in cold temperatures you should outfit the hammock with a cold weather system which Hennessey also makes.
If theres anything else I can help you with let me know.
Heres a pic of me and a friend using ours with my Tacoma in temperatures around 30F I just put a sleeping pad to insulate the bottom and I slept fine. Thats frost on my truck, hammocks, and kayaks.

HH.jpg

GrantC

Observer
I've used a Hennessy extensively for the last 5 or 6 years, and have used it in all weather down to just under freezing. I've slept more soundly and comfortably in the hammock than in any tent, but there are some downsides.

The major one, for me in our Oregon weather, is the lack of space. If it's wet and cold, there just isn't any room to dry boots out or store a wet rainsuit overnight. This means that a separate tarp shelter needs to be carried.

A number of people have complained about the bottom entry, and not being able to adjust sleeping pads and/or rolling off same in the middle of the night. I solved that problem long ago by using a Big Agnes sleeping bag, which has no insulation on the bottom - but a full length sleeve into which a pad is inserted. Using that combination solves all sleeping pad problems.

I use that sleeping bag with a homemade sleeping pad/reflector (a mylar windshield reflector covered with fleece) on top of a RidgeRest or ThermaRest pad, and am comfortable to at least freezing. Keep in mind that I am an EXTREMELY cold sleeper, and find it is at least as tolerable as any tent I've ever slept in. Cold weather performance, for me at least, hasn't been an issue. I haven't found that I need the cold weather kit; with the Big Agnes bag and the pad, I'm completely comfortable.

In the final analysis, hammocks aren't for everyone. If you like bivy shelters, you'll probably like a hammock. If you find them claustrophobic, a hammock probably isn't for you. What I can tell you is that I love mine!

-=[ Grant ]=-

I use a hennesey hammock for summer use here in Louisiana. (that should say alot).
It can be used in the winter, like others have said with a foam mat underneath.
The tighter I tie it, and the less flex in the middle, the more comfortable I sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle