Camping hot tub!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
A tarp. Nuff said.

hot-tub-pickup-guys-chairs.jpg

redneck-hot-tub-2.jpg

The scary thing is, the second one looks like it would actually work too.

grogie

Like to Camp
Look at this damn thing!! Awesome!!

http://theoriginalnomad.com

Now, I expect all of you to post up your home cooked camping hot tub concoctions that cost much, much less than $1000.

BEGIN!

Love the idea of it. Why not have some more comfort in the woods?! Funny thing is, when I was a teenager and camped a lot, it was just an old sleeping bag on the hard ground. For chairs we used stumps, and nothing electrical at all. Now our expedition rigs and trailers are setup like outdoor hotels. (lol)

Now about hot tubs... My mom lives in the country and use to have an outdoor one. It was great to sit in it for all types of weather conditions, however the upkeep was a pain. I suppose with one of those camping models, one would need to filter the lake/river water to some degree?! (lol)

96Delica

Adventurer
Love the idea of it. Why not have some more comfort in the woods?! Funny thing is, when I was a teenager and camped a lot, it was just an old sleeping bag on the hard ground. For chairs we used stumps, and nothing electrical at all.

Me too man, I just love the idea of it. It's hilarious! I had a buddy that had a truck bed trailer he would tow in and line with a tarp. Then he ran a water pump and a heat exchanger off the engine somehow. Mad genius.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have a wood fired snorkel stove hot tub for the last five years which works great - its a cedar tub so not very portable...

http://snorkel.com/

Previously I made a couple of "camping" hot tubs using the large 4ft x 4 ft plastic fish/fruit tubs common here in the PNW. They eventually crack due to the hot water it seems.

Using a campfire to heat them via thermosiphon takes a long time from my experience and requires a fair amount of wood. I added a small 12vdc pump to circulate the water and it works a whole lot better...

I've used creek water directly - but would advise dumping it perhaps daily as heating it up to 100F makes it funky pretty quickly... guess you could hit it with some chemicals or bleach but that takes away from the idea for me... I am going to add one of these salt water chlorine generators to my snorkel stove tub soon as it seems to be a good compromise - but I only use my well water in my hot tub now days.

http://www.controlomatic.com/chlormaker.html

rebar

Adventurer
I apologize about reviving this old thread.. But I'm in the middle of attempting this "camping hot tub" thing, and there's not allot of info, or people as nutty as us..:drool:

Iv decided to use a blow up pool. And this Thermosiphon fire ring. No pump necessary and after talking to Steve, the fabricator, feel my stainless steel 18" pipe will work. I will cut my 24" piece in half, leaving two 12" pieces. Then cut enough out of one, and re-roll to 14" diameter. Weld SS dough nuts and water connections top and bottom and done.

I have a wood fired snorkel stove hot tub for the last five years which works great - its a cedar tub so not very portable...

I've used creek water directly - but would advise dumping it perhaps daily as heating it up to 100F makes it funky pretty quickly... guess you could hit it with some chemicals or bleach but that takes away from the idea for me... I am going to add one of these salt water chlorine generators to my snorkel stove tub soon as it seems to be a good compromise - but I only use my well water in my hot tub now days.

I need to use Colorado mountain creek water as well. What chemical would treat the water but not be bad for the environment when I dump it? Iv read bromine tablets, but I'm not sure how long it takes for it to dissipate, or if its even bad for the environment.. I don't need a ranger making me hire a septic company to pump out my hot tub, but have been told by a CG host that dumping grey water is where ever is fine.

Thanks!

GregSplett

Adventurer
I hope my wife does not see this.

She just figured out she can plug her hair dryer in, on the truck! Now this?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I need to use Colorado mountain creek water as well. What chemical would treat the water but not be bad for the environment when I dump it? Iv read bromine tablets, but I'm not sure how long it takes for it to dissipate, or if its even bad for the environment.. I don't need a ranger making me hire a septic company to pump out my hot tub, but have been told by a CG host that dumping grey water is where ever is fine.

I wouldn't add anything to the water - assuming your usage will be just for a couple of days?

I would think a more horizontal configuration with the flue coming out of the back end would work better - see info on the web on "rocket stoves" as that would allow easy addition of wood from one end and the heat would hit the water jacket more and not just go up the center hole and out.

Post your results!

rebar

Adventurer
I hope my wife does not see this.

She just figured out she can plug her hair dryer in, on the truck! Now this?

Hahahaha! good one!

I wouldn't add anything to the water - assuming your usage will be just for a couple of days?

I would think a more horizontal configuration with the flue coming out of the back end would work better - see info on the web on "rocket stoves" as that would allow easy addition of wood from one end and the heat would hit the water jacket more and not just go up the center hole and out.

Post your results!

Yeah, two maybe three days. I would think it might get funky by then and wondered about bromine and how fast it dissipates..

Quick n dirty.... But effective.
http://youtu.be/xbE3Hj-DEMg

Home made, more efficient.
http://youtu.be/zuav64whJYs

Iv been searching all over and still think the Thermosiphon fire ring the best.. As it has a easier route for the water and probably more surface area, and wont melt.

rebar

Adventurer
Still been thinking about this even though I couldn't get it together for my last trip..

Biggest issue for the tub is having level ground.

I found this hydro hammock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears