Camping in Colorado July-Aug 2007

Grouseman

Adventurer
The wife and I are going to Colorado to see the mountains etc. Would like suggestions on BLM lands that are good for camping, out of the way spots, etc would be ok. Suggestions. We would like to stay in the mountains just to stay cooler, we both like cooler temps. I know we could have picked a better month for sure. Were going last week of July, first week of August.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Grouseman

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I'm partial to the SW corner and the San Juan Mountains myself - Lake City, Ouray, Silverton, Creede, Durango, Mancos, Wolf Creek, etc.

Actually the last week of July - first week of August would be about perfect. Perfect weather and the summer crowds will be thinning. They're probably the only two weeks of the year you won't have to worry about snow.

Darren

Adventurer
Basically, all of our mountain regions are national forest or BLM land, so you're basically free to camp at your leisure along any of the back roads, most of which will have multiple driveways that lead to campsites. Any intermixed private property will be well-signed. July and August is a good time to head for the cooler high country and you should be treated to some nice wildflowers on those dates.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Outside of Silverton; towards Animas Forks...Minnie/Maggie Gulch....great spots, great access to trails...

-H-

Bergger

Explorer
There are just so many places to go. As mentioned above the Siverton area is hard to beat. Another one of my favorites is the St Elmo ghost town area just south west of Buena Vista. There are some nice camping areas and a ton of nice trails, scenery and old mines. If time allows I'd head down hwy 285 to St. Elmo then continue south west to Silverton/Durango. Check out Darrens website too. He's got some great info on trails ect. "4wd Adventures Colorado" by Massey and Wilson is a great book as well for trails.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Colorado

Guys,

Thanks for the information. I'll investigate as best as I can via the net on the places you guys have mentioned. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Grouseman

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
You will need to get more specific with WHERE in Colorado you want to visit. I lived in CO for 8 years and spent nearly every weekend exploring and didn't dent the possibilities. Do keep in mind, CO is a pretty big state. If you're coming from the east, you might hit spots you wouldn't hit if you were coming from the west. I am also a fan of SW Colorado. However, the northern parts around Steamboat are pretty sweet as well. Honestly, there's just too much to recommend.

Narrow your options again and maybe repost the question.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Flounder

Flounder,

Well were looking for beautiful country (mountains, waterways,etc) few people, and cool temps. Also we will be primitive camping most of the time and don't like organized campgrounds. Mountains, Soltitude, No cell service.

Sounds like SW CO is very nice. Any other areas or National Parks that others feel strongly about?

Grouseman

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Camped a few nights at Alta Lake, it's a nice climb in elevation past a ghost town and camp was at 11,200'..should be nice and cool. Got hectic when the storms came through, and an awesome rainbow followed.

Also, camped at Dinner Station in Gunnison NF one night...we were only ones there. In the morning we took a dirt road across the forest road just to see where it led. We found an awesome clearing around the bend with a nice firepit and a view of Mt Grizzly...we have always wanted to go back to that site. Here's directions to Dinner Station.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-parks-218556-dinner_station_campground_gunnison_national_forest_camping-i

Wish i still had my pics for you...went in a crash.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Gman: The area around Lake City is gorgeous.

http://ghostdepot.com/rg/mainline/marshall route/lakecity.htm

You want solitude? Lake City is the only town in Hinsdale County, which is 50 miles x 22 miles. Total county population, according to the 2000 census, was 790. Of those, 402 live in Lake City. 95% of the land in Hinsdale County is publicly owned.

The Sangre de Cristos are also stunning.

Grand Mesa is spectacular.

National Parks? I'd recommend Black Canyon of the Gunnison (a single-drop gorge about 2,000' deep) and Great Sand Dunes, on the West side of the Sangre's. Rocky Mountain and Mesa Verde are nice, but get very crowded in the mid-Summer. Mesa Verde is also out in the desert and can get rather hot. Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction is too often ignored in favor of the more popular parks in CO, and one of my favorites is Dinosaur National Monument in the Northwest corner of the state. It is a little warmer and more desert-like there (although in terms of heat, nothing like the Southeast, where you're coming from.)

As for places to camp, there really are literally too many to try and list. Since you like primitive camping, all you really need to do is get some National Forest maps and pick out some likely spots (Google Earth can also be a good help here.) Avoid the Front Range (Pike National Forest and White River National Forest) unless you like crowds - there are about 2.5 million people in the greater Denver metro area and on Summer weekends it seems like they're all up in the Pike and White River national forests.

One thing to keep in mind: Make sure you have a good camp stove. Many areas of Colorado still have an open fire ban in place, which means NO campfires, and they are very strict on enforcing this. After the devastating wildfires of 2002, the state has been very careful about fire issues.

Most of the BLM land is in the North-central (North Park), Northwest, and Southwest parts of the state. The center of the state, where the spine of the rocky mountains runs through, are mostly National Forests.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Thanks

Thanks guys for all the information. This will be my first trip out to Colorado to do a little Expedition travel.:wings: What can I expect on the 4wd trails on the BLM land and National Forests? Pretty rough driving conditions? Is a winch mandatory? I was thinking of getting a heavy duty hand winch and extra ropes for this trip.
When we get out by ourselves should we have a cb radio for emergencies? I'm sure cell service is very sparce. I was thinking of getting a long boat antenna and hooking it up to my cell phone attenna adapter. Thoughts?
We will traveling in a 80 series Cruiser with Lockers.

Thanks
Gman

Clutch

<---Pass
We went to Taylor Park, Crested Butte area last year and plan going back this year in August..(expect afternoon rains)

Gorgeous area, had something for everyone, rafting, rock climbing, fishing, all types of trails for everyone from us dirt bikers to 4WD and everyone else in between. Very friendly...I was shocked to see a smile and a wave from a hiker when I rode past on the dirt bike.

We were there for the 4th of July last year...damn cool seeing and hearing the fire works against the mountains.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552042555MCCnzy

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552038613DygejQ

Grouseman said:
I'm sure cell service is very sparce.

When the cell phone quits working...you are in the right place...;)

Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
Kermit,

When the cell phone quits working...you are in the right place...;)[/QUOTE]

Oh your so right.:jump:

Gman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998