Camping Lab RTT users

Anyone out there have CampingLab's 71"x94" "Large" sized RTT?

It's on my "short list" and I was curious if anyone out there had any thoughts on the size. I will have myself (6'3", 220), wife (5'2", 110), daughter (4'5", 50lbs) and our infant son (little).

It would be nice to have a few extras in the tent with us, (lamp, heating device (TBD), and a small area for our small things one would need close by.

Am I shooting too big for a RTT? would I be just as well served with a smaller one?

Bear in mind we also have a huge ground tent that we will be using when the children are older and the RTT will be for the wife and myself.

Oh, and I have NEVER EVEN SEEN an RTT in person. Never slept in one, and am going to end up purchasing one on reviews and recommendations alone. :Wow1:

opie

Explorer
Im in the exact same boat. Ive seen one in person from a distance, but thats it.

Im 6'3, 260 and my 6yo son is pushing 4.5' already. So do I plan ahead and get the larger RTT or will the 55" model suffice.

Im leaning towards the larger model just to stay safe in the future. Mounting space isnt a concern for me as it will be mounted over my truck bed. I have 72" in length there.

08whitex

Adventurer
I just recieved my large tent but have not taken it out of the box yet. I can say that my old tent was a first gen Mombasa (which is about the same size as the large) and having the extra room is great. My wife and I sleep in our tent with 2 dogs, a bag with clothes for the next day and still have room. In my oppinion it is better to have to much room rather then to little.

cnskate

Adventurer
With four peeps I'd say you're up to the big one. If the big one will fit over the bed of the Frontier that would be sweet. It might be a bit much for the top of an Xterra though?

With four peeps I'd say you're up to the big one. If the big one will fit over the bed of the Frontier that would be sweet. It might be a bit much for the top of an Xterra though?

For myself, the tent will end up on the top of my M101CDN trailer build I am in the middle of. (48"x74" bed)

However, in a pinch I suppose I could mount it on my Frontier or my wife's Xterra. Though, I wouldn't want to chance the weight on my wife's Xterra factory crossbars.

C Red

Adventurer
I have the large Camping Lab RTT. I am 6'2" 270. I have slept in our tent with my daughter 12 years old and 5'9" and my 9 year old son who is 4'10". I think we could squeeze all four of us up there if I could talk my wife into it. For us a smaller RTT would not have worked out very well. I have to admit that we have only been able to use once so far. I only recently mounted my roof rack and tent on our truck.

opie

Explorer
SO I had my Kelty Grand Mesa 2 set up today for the kids to play... and did some measuring...

Its footprint almost matches the 55x94 RTT. So if your comfortable in a two man tent with however many people you usually fit into a two man tent, then the 55" version would probably suffice.

I dont know how someone figures 3 people (2 adults and a child) can fit in the 55" version. The floor dimensions on the Grand Mesa 2 are

Length: 82" / 208 cm
Width: 58" / 147 cm

And tapers down towards the foot end.

However... Im the kind of person that likes space. I can curl up in a ball when need be, but get a bit claustraphobic(sp) sometimes.

bluedog

Adventurer
I purchased the large RTT when they were on sale this summer and I can say it is great. Now I am 5'11" and the GF, aka the Munchkin, is 5'. We had pleanty of room for the both of us, our bags I have a large duffel), and a small backpacking table. It does take up the majority of the roof rack. So I would say you are not shooting too big for your RTT.

Folded up and under cover:

UPOverland2009012.jpg

CampDay2WLG_BG_TLC.jpg

I have more pics if you would like to see more.

B.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
We just got the Large Camping Lab tent and I put it on the roof over the weekend. Have yet to use it but setting it up and crawling inside, I'd say with 4 people, even one of them being an infant, it might be a bit tight.

We got it for just myself (5'5") and my wife (5'9") and with both of us in it, we'd easily have enough room for another adult. But putting another adult, the infant and your gear in there for the night might be a bit cramped.

You might want to check out the next size up.

This thing is so cool and we're headed out to do the White Rim Trail in Utah first of next week, so I'll report back on what we think of it once we've spent a few nights in it.

opie

Explorer
We just got the Large Camping Lab tent and I put it on the roof over the weekend. Have yet to use it but setting it up and crawling inside, I'd say with 4 people, even one of them being an infant, it might be a bit tight.

We got it for just myself (5'5") and my wife (5'9") and with both of us in it, we'd easily have enough room for another adult. But putting another adult, the infant and your gear in there for the night might be a bit cramped.

This thing is so cool and we're headed out to do the White Rim Trail in Utah first of next week, so I'll report back on what we think of it once we've spent a few nights in it.

Look forward to your report.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
690512214_boJng-L.jpg

690485826_DUmwk-L.jpg

Testing out the Camping Lab in Utah and we're headed out to do the White Rim Trail within the next few days. It was real windy the other day so we drove up above Moab to set it up and see how it handled the wind. Like a dream!!

Now that I've set it up and packed it back up a few times, I dont feel worried about actually using it on a real trip. I'll post more after our White Rim Trail adventure

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

Pat you got the medium tent... 55X94" the large one is 71X94" :)

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
We have the large and fit the family in it. That includes myself 5'11'', wife 5'1'', 3 year old and 18 month old plus some bags. We do 3 across and my 3 year old up top and this works great for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78