Camping Labs RTT mounting advice

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hey guys, was trying to learn a bit more on how the Camping Lab's RTT mount. I just ordered up a medium sized RTT and need to mount it on a Discovery with a roof basket. With the width and length of the medium size unit it will span the width of the basket both lengthwise and widthwise. I searched on Camping Lab's site and couldn't find much in the way of detail regarding what comes with the tent for mounting and how the system works. I am a bit constrained for time and will have to mount it this Friday before packing the truck and driving it from Denver to Moab. I'd like the installation to be as smooth as possible so any advice from current owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

davegonz

Explorer
The tent mounts via two aluminum extrusions that contain bolts that can slide all along the extrusion's length. A plate sandwiches whatever you are mounting it to via nylock nuts.

Here's a pic:

attachment.php

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great! Thanks for the info guys. That was exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I'll be able to mount it directly to the sides of the basket with no issue. Now just to figure out which way to face the opening portion so the changing room works well. I'm thinking off the back.

yooper

Observer
If you mount it opening off the back you won't have room for your hatch or tailgate I don't think.

I would do it off the side.

Wait, is this on the 80 or the Tundra? Definitely off the side on the Tundra, there isn't anything in the way.

If you need help give me a call!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
If you mount it opening off the back you won't have room for your hatch or tailgate I don't think.

I would do it off the side.

Wait, is this on the 80 or the Tundra? Definitely off the side on the Tundra, there isn't anything in the way.

If you need help give me a call!

Its actually for neither its for a Land Rover Discovery. I'm thinking off the side and towards the back as of now. I'm not sure how the rear door would open with the tent open and the changing room below. It is arriving Thursday I think but won't be able to mess around with it till Friday afternoon, and I want to get on the road that evening, so I'm hoping to get it dialed quick. I'll call you though if I'm struggling! Thanks for the help!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Its going on this, just for a reference of what I'm dealing with, with the roof basket. Sean, what size is your RTT?

ColoradowithAlexia003.jpg

bluedog

Adventurer
Kristian,

Did you happen to get a set of the mounting brackets? if not can you get them in time?

I have the Front Runner rack 86" long and about 48" wide. The large tent doesn't span the rack in either direction when folded, I needed the mounting brackets.

My extrusions run front to back. You can cut the extrusions and run them accross but I don't think they will span that rack. I also got some extra bolts (shorter) to help with getting the tent mounted on the mounting brackets.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Brendan.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Brendan, don't the Camping Lab RTT's come with the mounting brackets? I didn't see listings for them in RTT acessories so I assumed they were included with the tent itself. Is this not the case? If so I'll need order them up tomorrow to get them in time to Denver. Also the dimensions for the tent I ordered is 55"x94" which led me to believe that I could mount it either direction across that basket. Is my logic askew? Thanks in advance!

opie

Explorer
Brendan, don't the Camping Lab RTT's come with the mounting brackets? I didn't see listings for them in RTT acessories so I assumed they were included with the tent itself. Is this not the case? If so I'll need order them up tomorrow to get them in time to Denver. Also the dimensions for the tent I ordered is 55"x94" which led me to believe that I could mount it either direction across that basket. Is my logic askew? Thanks in advance!

55x94 are the open dimensions. Closed, IIRC, they are 55x47.

Thats all I have to offer other than you suck for getting one before me!:sombrero:

Have fun with it... I look forward to a scathing review.

bluedog

Adventurer

Fernando sent me a set of brackets with my tent but I don't think they come with it. Also, those dimensions are when the tent is open so it will be much smaller (narrower) when folded. I would order the brackets just to be safe. The will give you more mounting options and lift the tent up on the rack so it will clear the lip of the rack too.

I won't be home tonight before it gets dark but will be there tomorrow to get a pic or two.

Looks like a cool vehical in a cool place.

Have fun,

B.

B.

rugbier

Adventurer
Its going on this, just for a reference of what I'm dealing with, with the roof basket. Sean, what size is your RTT?

ColoradowithAlexia003.jpg

Since you don't have a RTT Rack ( with a openning for the Tent to unfold ) I will suggest you get a pair of very strong cross bars to place the extrusions over.

Also if you wish, you can have the rear bar of the basket cut off and reinforce the sides so the roof can open towards the back of the truck.

Good Luck

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
My thoughts were to mount the RTT directly to the sidebars of the basket. Why wouldn't this work? The tent would be wider then the basket width, would the span be too great for some reason? I know it wouldn't be ideal but I will only have a matter of hours to pull this think out of the package, get it onto the roof by myself to mount it, along with packing all the gear for the trip. I was hoping I could just run the extrusions widthwise across the basket and secure them with the brackets nice and easy. Maybe I'm missing something but looking at the picture earlier in the thread with the trailer made me think this could be possible.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Just talked to Fernando, looks like it does in fact come with the mounting brackets and rails. It sounds like it should mount pretty easily to the top of the basket rails. Good to go! I was getting worried there for a minute. Thanks for the help Fernando!

Opie, I'll give a good writeup on it for sure. I will have a bunch of opportunities to try it out from now till early December including this Moab trip. Alexia's Disco is going to be more tricked out then my 80! We also ordered up a shower enclosure, PETT toillette system, foldable aluminum table, and bunch of other goodies for it. Going to be a sweet setup. This will be her first multiple day offroading experience and she is really excited as am I.

bluedog

Adventurer
Just talked to Fernando, looks like it does in fact come with the mounting brackets and rails. It sounds like it should mount pretty easily to the top of the basket rails. Good to go! I was getting worried there for a minute. Thanks for the help Fernando!

Opie, I'll give a good writeup on it for sure. I will have a bunch of opportunities to try it out from now till early December including this Moab trip. Alexia's Disco is going to be more tricked out then my 80! We also ordered up a shower enclosure, PETT toillette system, foldable aluminum table, and bunch of other goodies for it. Going to be a sweet setup. This will be her first multiple day offroading experience and she is really excited as am I.

Good news. Sounds like it's coming together. I'm sure I don't need to remind you to take some pictures. That Disco should look pretty good with an RTT.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior