Camping shower advice.

sapper

Adventurer
I have been looking at a lot of different set-ups for a hot shower when on an outing.

I think the best solution I have found so far will be this unit.

http://www.hotcampshowers.com/eccotemp_tankless_water_heaters

I am hoping that someone will chime in and let me see what they are using for hot water on thier trailer. I will be putting everything in/on my M101A2 trailer.

I think with a 30 Gallon tank mounted under the trailer above the axle as well as loading ramps, the tank should be well protected. I can also add a shur-flo pump so I can have water in the cooking area as well.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Yep...shes a keeper...never leave home without it!

I've only used it 6-7 times to date but it worked as expected each time, there's very few things that beat a hot shower at camp, say maybe that french pressed coffe at 7 a.m by the fire.

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
For low weight I would look at Zodi. Martyn and the guys at Adventure Trailers sell the zodi extreme but there are several other models and you can get adapters to run them off a 20# tank. Good luck

jim65wagon

We've used the Triton (which I think is a rebadged Ecotemp) for a couple of seasons now and it's great. With a 21 gallon tank and a 12v pump it's miles ahead of the Zodi we had. The only issues we've had:
1)the shower head is fiddly to turn on/off (I'd like to change that to a regular handheld shower head with an on/off valve.
2)The temp and flow control took some testing to find the right positions for a hot (but not scalding) shower we marked the dials so we know immediately where to turn them for a perfect shower.
3)Camped with friends you'll wind up letting them use the shower and you'll have to have some way to refill that tank. (Easy in the East, when you have rivers and streams available, and teenagers to haul buckets of water...
Love the system, glad we got it, like Pat says few things beat a hot shower (and fresh coffee)
PS they work great for hot dish water too.....

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Have a shower system built around the L5, a real shower head and a Shurflo pump. Its worth hauling when the KK is in tow and/or when we're base camped for more than a couple nights in the same spot. We used the same model almost a year ago apart of a 30-person week long strawbale building project and it was just great; like being at home. We had a well water source so we just dialed the temp in and showered directly from the water source as long as we wanted.

But I end up using my Helton Hot Water heat exchanger mounted to my LC along with an Aquajet pump and a kitchen type sprayer for easy on/off shower water efficiency most of the time since it takes up significantly less cargo space. No complaints about it either.

stomperxj

Explorer
Ive got an Eccotemp and it works great. I made a bracket for it on my front bumper. Used it last weekend on a camp trip. Scooped 50* water out of the river and I had to turn the temp down to about 1/3 it was so hot... They work great!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A pot of hot water and a washcloth....been doing it for years but am looking at a portable shower setup myself right now.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Have a shower system built around the L5, a real shower head and a Shurflo pump. Its worth hauling when the KK is in tow and/or when we're base camped for more than a couple nights in the same spot. We used the same model almost a year ago apart of a 30-person week long strawbale building project and it was just great; like being at home. We had a well water source so we just dialed the temp in and showered directly from the water source as long as we wanted.

But I end up using my Helton Hot Water heat exchanger mounted to my LC along with an Aquajet pump and a kitchen type sprayer for easy on/off shower water efficiency most of the time since it takes up significantly less cargo space. No complaints about it either.

Spresso- could you post pics of your helton install? Thanks bud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998