Camping Trailer Build Thread

TheFutur

Adventurer
Hello, I'm currently building a camping trailer to haul some supplies, jerry cans, two kayaks and a roof top tent. Just welded up the frame today, here are some pictures.

0abRdz9.jpg

tXG6Q38.jpg

B3yqNMy.jpg

I'm planning on picking up the axles, springs and suspension components tomorrow and the wheels/tires either tomorrow or Tuesday, will update once more work is done on it.

TheFutur

Adventurer
So here is an update in the progress I've made..

I had a few set backs and ended up having to cut a few welds and re-positioning the two outside beams so that the axle would mount properly, after re-positioning them I managed to attach the springs to some mounting plates I fabbed up and mounted that to the frame along with the axle to the springs! The tires I got were a bit wide and didn't quite fit in beside the frame so I needed to buy two wheel spacers to get a proper fit. I also mounted a jack on the front so it can stand by itself.

Here are some pictures!

pBf7Fk1.jpg

^ Lining up the spring mounts to the plate

ep5U68R.jpg

lQNZxFQ.jpg

ZtyUHVi.jpg

^ Had to move the outside tubing in to mount the axle

5hUzCPD.jpg

^ Looks a little different but still is solid!

9gxv6H6.jpg

^ Mounted the wheel spacers and the wheels, have it lined up behind my Escape checking if it's level or not. It was. :wings:

o1Biq3k.jpg

31LEQNo.jpg

^ Got the jack on and it's really starting to look the part now!

I'm planning on mounting the tongue tomorrow and start on the rack! :wings:

TheFutur

Adventurer
Here is my progress after one week of building, hell a week ago I didn't even know how to weld! Thanks to my brother I now do haha

AHTTkTq.jpg

^ Mounting the first vertical post

1UTDKHk.jpg

^ All four up and *almost* perfectly square, 1/32 of an inch off for one -_-

T9W8cIZ.jpg

^ Got one set of middle supports on

Ew0Ondt.jpg

^ Other side is on and was measuring out the rear cross bar

DbHm95Z.jpg

^ Finished for the day!

gotQcSm.jpg

^ Bonus shot

Planning on finishing up the rack tomorrow and starting on the fenders, possibly even mounting the fenders then onto wiring! After that is registering it and insuring it. Going to paint it near the end of may after I take it out for four days into the beautiful Bridge River Valley region of British Columbia. :)

R Thomas

Observer
Good looking build, especially for your kayak needs. What size steel did you use?

Consider welding that trailer jack once you know where you want it to be permanently placed. My father had one on his trailer and came loose, landing on his foot and breaking a few small bones.

Last edited:

Loud Al

Observer
It looks good, I would put some diagonal bracing on the uprights. Once you get the RTT up there you will have a bunch of forces trying to rack your uprights.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Good looking build, especially for your kayak needs. What size steel did you use?

Consider welding that trailer jack once you know where you want it to be permanently placed. My father had NE in his trailer and came loose, landing on his foot and breaking a few small bones.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that once I find the optimal placement of it. :)

The frame is 3x3 1/8th inch steel tube and the rack is made up of 1x1 1/10th inch steel tubing as well.

It looks good, I would put some diagonal bracing on the uprights. Once you get the RTT up there you will have a bunch of forces trying to rack your uprights.

I was waiting for someone to point that out haha. I got the steel for some bracing, I just want to get the fenders and lights done first so I can get it insured, my brother has a BA in mechanical engineering and a masters in naval architecture so he has been helping me along the way when it comes to testing out forces. I can't even begin to say how nice it is having your own personal engineer ;)

jwiereng

Looks like you are very clever to make the spring mounts unbolted to the frame. The ability to move it fore and aft will come in handy when attempting to optimize tongue weight. I have not seen this approach before on an expo trailer, it is very common on semis to have a moveable set of axles.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Looks like you are very clever to make the spring mounts unbolted to the frame. The ability to move it fore and aft will come in handy when attempting to optimize tongue weight. I have not seem this approach before, it is very common on semis to have a moveable set of axles.

Looking at the picture (and not being someone who fabs things), any concerns over being able to retain the ability to shift the axle and have a water/dust proof enclosure?

TheFutur

Adventurer
Looks like you are very clever to make the spring mounts unbolted to the frame. The ability to move it fore and aft will come in handy when attempting to optimize tongue weight. I have not seem this approach before, it is very common on semis to have a moveable set of axles.

Thanks but the credit goes to my father who suggested that after owning countless boat trailers, makes aligning the axle square with the frame and car super easy!

Looking at the picture (and not being someone who fabs things), any concerns over being able to retain the ability to shift the axle and have a water/dust proof enclosure?

I'm not going for a water/dust proof enclosure so for me that's not an issue, and attaching the springs and axle via a U-bolt I was able to carefully adjust the positioning so that it is perfectly square with the frame/car (within a 1/32 at the very least)

TheFutur

Adventurer
Got another series of updated build pics!

As of today the trailer is officially street legal, registered and insured!

68KloAD.jpg

^ Another test fit with two kayaks, it's amazing seeing things come to life after planning in your head!

oRM7Ali.jpg

^ First of two fender mounts

vSWKXVU.jpg

^ Fender mounted by through bolting it to the mount in the previous picture.

CJZV3XR.jpg

^ Both fenders on!

BtO6IT7.jpg

^ Lights are on and wiring is done! Also added some mounts for the safety chain, funny story with that actually my father saved two mounts my great grandfather used for safety chains on a trailer he built back in his day, a priceless touch to my trailer. :)

Wiring is currently held with zap straps to the frame in an electrical casing, planning on attaching it with metal straps with screws by the end of the weekend. I chose to run the wiring on the outside of the frame for easy access in case I decide to add a light or some wiring issues pop up.

TheFutur

Adventurer
So another update. Finished the trailer to the point of being able to insure it and take it out, did a 80km trip yesterday loaded up with two kayaks to a beautiful lake and put the roof top tent on it this morning along with fabricating and mounting the awning brackets/awning. Sadly no pictures from yesterdays kayak excursion but I do have two pictures of the camping setup open and closed.

Planning on picking up the plywood for the box tomorrow and starting on that, planning on having the box done by the weekend for it's first trip out to the beautiful Bridge River Valley region in BC. After that trip I'm going to strip it down and paint it a nice matte black

plllQsX.jpg

Tr0UxhS.jpg

TheFutur

Adventurer
This trailer is definitely coming together nicely!:clapping:

Thanks! Bought the plywood for the box today and plan on at least getting the deck down tomorrow! Was going to attempt it today but I really needed a day off, been putting in 12 hours days working on it on the weekends and 4 hours during the work week evenings... been a busy two weeks haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears