Can ARB Fridges be serviced/repaired?

99Discovery

Adventurer
So I'm researching cooler/fridge possibilities. I love everything about the ARB Fridge, and if you consider that I'll probably be wheeling/adventuring for at least 20-25 years (and maybe longer, health/economy permitting), it actually doesn't seem like a bad investment.

That said....this is assuming the fridge will LAST 20-25 years. I can see a YETI cooler lasting that long, and at half the price, a Pelican/YETI is a bargain when stacked up next to the ARB....but you have to deal with ice.

As a mechanical engineer by trade who dabbles somewhat with HVAC systems, I'm curious to know if the ARB can be DIY serviced and repaired? If not, can it be sent to ARB for a compressor/evaporator repair?

If so....what is the cost? And will they service/repair a fridge that is 5-10 years old?

Anyone with thoughts or experiences?

I keep going back and forth between a bargain cooler, YETI/Pelican, and just biting the bullet for an ARB.

perkj

Explorer
I think your best bet is to call ARB-USA with your questions ( Toll Free: (866) 293-9078). You will find that ARB is a top notch company and will bend over backward to keep their customers happy and their customer service folks are very knowledgeable and willing to help. As an example, have a look at posts #23 thru #37 in this thread that demonstrates ARB has a procedure to even replace the thermostat buried within the fridge molding. Note that "jeepermc" who responded in post #30 & #36 is a rep from ARB USA: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148730-ARB-cords-and-fridge-mods?p=2069056#post2069056

IMO you'd be foolish not to go with the ARB. I have had an ARB 50 since 2012 and its worked flawlessly. When its not in my LR3 for trips it seconds as my home beer fridge and is run 24/7 off 110v in my garage.

Last edited:

99Discovery

Adventurer
Thanks perkj. I love ARB as a brand, but I'm also careful not to pay too much for a "brand name" if I don't need too. We've had great experience with ARB products (lockers/tire deflaters etc.) in the past, so it's high on my list.

You forgot to put a link to the thread? I'd love to read it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
There's no technical reason why it shouldn't run for 20+ years with minimal service. Compressor based cooling systems are pretty established and reliable technology, I've had my Engel running pretty much continuously for 12 years now.

gwittman

Adventurer
I have owned my ARB since around the mid 90s and it work just as well now as it did new. It doesn't look as good now because it has a few dents and scratches from a lot of heavy use but functionally it is perfect.

TwinStick

Explorer
Out of all the fridge/freezers on the market, I chose ARB for the same reasons as most do: durability, service, & the ability to function at a up to a 30* angle. Also, there they have the most authorized dealers---at least around me. We have 2, an 82 qt & a 50 qt. They are new & function flawlessly. The ONLY gripe I had (I fixed it myself) was that some of the fins were bent in. I fixed them both in one afternoon and used some thin foam as a filter where the air is drawn in. The 82 qt has been plugged in & running, non-stop, since the day we got it. It is used as our overflow fridge when we are not camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12