Can I add a parking brake without adding brakes?

jckid

My off-road trailer has worked great without brakes, however, it would be nice to have a parking brake. Is it possible to add a parking brake without adding brakes? My guess is no, but I figured you guys would know. We are leery of pushing the trailer around on too much of a slope, because we did have it get away from us once. :Wow1: Luckily it was a very minor slope, so it didn't roll far and didn't cause any damage.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
People are swapping out their stock M416 axles a lot, try to grab one of them with the cable and linkage. It would be easy to adapt. If the axle is too narrow it can always be widened.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Is it possible to add a parking brake without adding brakes?

LOL, no is the correct answer. A parking brake back plate assembly is pretty much the same as a plain version, but it has a cam and an external arm instead of a fixed post, so the shoes can be operated manually. Plus it's three to four times the price. ;(

Dexter brake parts catalog: .... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fl.b5z.net%2Fi%2Fu%2F6149609%2Ff%2Fparts_kit_cat_8-08%2FParts_Kit_Complete_Catalog.pdf&ei=nBxbUfSBD43oiQKFrIDQDA&usg=AFQjCNExZmMzRn9VxpxcVze_myUkgRaoLA&sig2=rN3mNcjjBpQsxiYkduDMCA

If chocks are not good enough, you are going to have to buy the correct brakes for your axle, and cable components to make a complete system. $$$

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

jckid

Thanks for the input. The M416 axle is something I didn't think of, but since the trailer is new, probably don't want to change the axle at this point. We have good wheel chocks, and the trailer has stabilizer jacks. The issue is not when it's parked, it's when we want to push the trailer around on unlevel ground. If for some reason we needed to unhook the trailer on the trail and push it a short distance, it could very easily get away from us without a parking brake that you can throw on quickly. Our other trailer has surge brakes and a parking brake. It's been very handy having the parking brake, because even through it's 1500 lbs. we can move it around by hand if we don't like the exact spot we unhook it, and just throw on the brake to get it to stop if it gets to rolling too fast. Our off-road trailer is much lighter, but still, it could get away from us without a brake.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I have not done this, but have been rolling the idea into the BBs inside my head. Pick up a pair of rear Jeep drum backing plates with shoes and the drums. Perhaps the drum would fit over the trailer hub. You would have to hook up the ebrake arm as posted above, but do not bother with the wheel cylinder. You might want to plug it, just because.
This idea may not work because of the diameter of the bearing portion of the hub not playing with the drum ID, but if too small, it should be easily opened up. The bolt pattern would be right for many hubs (5X4.5). May need longer wheel studs. Even if the shoes do not mate fully into the drum, there should be enough friction for an e-brake. The only other speciality item would be the plate welded to the axle to bolt the backing plate to.

Just an idea, I just have not had time to work out the details.

jckid

I have not done this, but have been rolling the idea into the BBs inside my head. Pick up a pair of rear Jeep drum backing plates with shoes and the drums. Perhaps the drum would fit over the trailer hub. You would have to hook up the ebrake arm as posted above, but do not bother with the wheel cylinder. You might want to plug it, just because.
This idea may not work because of the diameter of the bearing portion of the hub not playing with the drum ID, but if too small, it should be easily opened up. The bolt pattern would be right for many hubs (5X4.5). May need longer wheel studs. Even if the shoes do not mate fully into the drum, there should be enough friction for an e-brake. The only other speciality item would be the plate welded to the axle to bolt the backing plate to.

Just an idea, I just have not had time to work out the details.

I kind of, sort of follow you. I was thinking over lunch and wondering why I couldn't do the set up for brakes, but then not bother with the electric part of the system...have the brakes there, but then just a cable system for the emergency hand brake. And then if I ever wanted to add full-on electric brakes, most of the system would already be in place. I may look into it. We do a lot of our own work, but this would not be a project we'd take on.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
If you don't want to mess with custom brake modifications suggest you look at brake that could push against the tire like old wagon brakes. Some kind of pivoting arm pulled by a ratcheting cable. For the handle and ratchet look at junked riding mowers for the handle that raised the mower deck. To keep it simple braking only one wheel should be sufficient.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
2x4s tough to beat. Easy to replace.

Just how would you use that as a brake? Kind of hard to stick a board in a wheel if your guiding it from the tongue. Maybe you could throw a kid under a wheel.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Why don't you do what I did-

PICT0172.jpg

Even though my trailer is easy to manage by one--there have been times when slopes/rocks/logs have been in the way and it's easy to manuever the trailer when you hitch itup in front !

It won't get away either !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
:sombrero: Why don't you do what I did-

PICT0172.jpg

Even though my trailer is easy to manage by one--there have been times when slopes/rocks/logs have been in the way and it's easy to manuever the trailer when you hitch itup in front !

It won't get away either !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Front hitches are amazing for moving trailers around. I have one on my YJ... it's too bad I have not used that jeep in 5 years.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I just ordered electric brakes from Dexter with a parking brake, but oddly they do not sell a hand brake or cables. Got to either fab something or scrounge parts off a junked car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle