Can I dial down the heat on my partner Stove

I have an 18” partner steel stove. Great stove but I have one issue with it...

I like to make coffee in a percolator which means once the water comes to a boil you need to turn the heat down low and let the coffee cycle through the percolator for a while.

The stove has no problem getting the water to a boil but it has difficulty staying lit on a reasonably low temp. To keep the flame lit I have to turn the heat up. Here is where I notice the problem, when I barely turn the dial the heat turns up too much.

Can I run a different regulator or do you all have any suggestions that would allow the burners to operate more efficiently at lower temps? I’m not worried about the heat on higher settings as it puts out more heats than I need when I cook.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Just received a brand new 22" 2 burner and tried it last night, I'm able to turn down both burners until they are barely lit, maybe the valves need to be occasionally lubed or the assembly tension adjusted to allow this?

I’ll have to pull it out and check it. I wonder if even a small amount of wind will blow it out on a low setting and maybe that was causing me problems. I just don’t remember there being much wind

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I use a cast iron flame tamer atop my PS stove to lower the effective burner temp. https://www.amazon.com/Paderno-Worl...=flame+tamer&qid=1562505904&s=gateway&sr=8-27

Also note, the PS stove burner control knobs just need a gentle turn to flame off position. If you man-handle them to turn off, then you'll need to rebuild them more often. The symptom: The knob has a 'rubbery' feel to it...making it difficult to adjust to a flame setting.

Lastly, with a different stove I did experiment with an adjustable regulator to lower the burner BTU output and it worked. I don't have my stove handy to look at the PS propane line connections but IIRC they use crimped connections at each end? Otherwise you could utilize the adjustable regulator...

Scoutman

Explorer
What about just sliding the pot off direct heat? Sliding it over so that only 1/2 of the flame is under the pot seems to be the easiest solution to me without carrying more gear.

What about just sliding the pot off direct heat? Sliding it over so that only 1/2 of the flame is under the pot seems to be the easiest solution to me without carrying more gear.

Agree. Only problem is that with the windscreen up and a pan on the other burner there is not enough room to offset the coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears