Can I do Engineer's Pass/Alpine Loop (Southern Colorado) in my Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4?

Monterorider

Adventurer
It's been many years since my visit but I found upper fork of Italian Creek Rd (shelf road part) far more "interesting" than Schofield Pass. I think I'd be ok taking Power Wagon over Schofield but Italian creek felt awfully tight even in Montero.
ScarryLedge.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I've done the Alpine Loop in the Power Wagon a couple times. At a 140" wheel base, it's all easy with the exception of the switchbacks on Cinnamon Pass. I had to three point those coming down, a crew cab might take a few more turns. While not required, I did use low range to help control the decent.

Stoney Pass would be doable as well, and has a lot less traffic. The last time we wee there, we took Stoney from Creede to Silverton, and came back via Cinnamon.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
When I asked the poster "If he had been on either of the trails in question and if he recalled the image I posted, I was being facetious.

agriteach

Not much on posting, but will offer this. In 2006 drove Cinnamon (Alpine Loop) from Silverton to Lake City with a very stock very new 2006 GMC 2500 Durmax crew cab short wheel base factory 10 ply 245 75 16 tires. Not the smartest undertaking for for a flat lander from Arkansas but other than the switch backs it was about the most fun I have had.

High_Country

Adventurer
thats basically the entire goal here on expedition portal....right?

Amen to that! I finally decided (being a little self critical here) that instead of reading all these articles and posts and doing research and buying gear and all that, it was time to get my ***** out there and actually go have fun. Sometimes I think I, and others, get caught up in the outfitting, the research, the prep, the planning, etc. Heck, southern Colorado is only about 11 hours away and these trails are fairly "simple" and are short enough to not require months worth of hand-wringing decisions.

I finally said, "d@mnit, I'm going!"

(This is of course not discounting appropriate research, prep work, and safety precautions, just wanted to actually DO it instead of plan it!)

Thanks to everyone for all their input.

A follow-up question:
A couple people have mentioned camping. I driven Stoney Pass (in a stock JK) and there were some BEAUTIFUL spots both right along the road and tucked up and away. Can a guy just simply pull off the road on these passes and camp where he wants? (I THINK you can do this on Stoney, but not sure and not sure about the Alpine Loop) OR, do you have to pre-register for approved camping sites and all that?

Thanks for the info!

bdshort86

As you already know by now, the answer to your original question regarding fitting your truck on the trails you mentioned, is yes. In 2011 we took my old 2006 F350 crew cab LONG bed on several passes in the San Juans without issue. To be honest I think the tightest fit was taking the Yankee Boy Basin trail all the way up to the trailhead for the hiking trail to Mount Sneffels just because of all the tight switchbacks. The truck handled everything great with just a small Donahoe Racing lift and 35" Toyo MT's. As has been mentioned, I would not want to do Black Bear coming down into Teluride in anything longer than a Jeep, but you probably know that by now. Poughkeepsie Gulch probably won't be doable either, but maybe possible with an excellent driver and a winch to fall back on. That Ford worked so well in that area (pretty much our favorite place in the whole world), that I'm now building an 04 Dodge quad cab 4x4 DRW to do the same trails - with a slide in truck camper :)

98dango

Expedition Leader
If you like old buildings with history stop in to animus forks or how ever its spelled. its amazing there

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I drove jeep tours out of Ouray for 3 summers about 10 years ago. You should not have a problem. We drove old Jeep J20 pickups with 3 rows of 4 wide seating in the back and no lift and didn't have a problem with any of the major trails in the San Juans other than Black Bear Pass. For Black Bear we ran smaller full size jeep cherokees. I even ran Poughkepsi Gulch on a regular basis although I wouldn't recommend it in a semi stock rig and we only ran it going down from the top. I have seen fullsize Hummer H1's run the trails you speak of wanting to do, so you should have no problem. The only real scary part is if you have to pass on coming traffic as the roads have a pretty good cliff drop off and they can be pretty narrow in spots; but for a lot of the trails in the San Juans you can see a long way up or down and there are pullouts for passing, so if you use these the pullouts the trails are not that bad. The scenery is spectacular, and you will definately enjoy yourself. I don't know when you are planning to go, but be aware that the passes might still be closed in early summer. You can call the Ouray chamber of commerce before hand or any of the Jeep tour companies and they should be able to tell you whats open. BTW, late July/early August is good wild flower time. If you have anymore questions please PM me. I don't need to tell you to have fun because I know you will!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12